Why are you unhappy today?

10,909 posts in this topic

Blimey @jeremytwo that sounds like a nasty accident. Hope he recovers ok (and that the insurance paid out for the helicopter).

John, we received these words from the DJ Alan Freeman's long term boyfriend of 20 years who was a family friend, on my parents' deaths...

Death Is Nothing At All

By Henry Scott-Holland

Death is nothing at all. 
It does not count. 
I have only slipped away into the next room. 
Nothing has happened. 

Everything remains exactly as it was. 
I am I, and you are you, 
and the old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged. 
Whatever we were to each other, that we are still. 

Call me by the old familiar name. 
Speak of me in the easy way which you always used. 
Put no difference into your tone. 
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow. 

Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes that we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me. 
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was. 
Let it be spoken without an effort, without the ghost of a shadow upon it. 

Life means all that it ever meant. 
It is the same as it ever was. 
There is absolute and unbroken continuity. 
What is this death but a negligible accident? 

Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight? 
I am but waiting for you, for an interval, 
somewhere very near, 
just round the corner. 

All is well. 
Nothing is hurt; nothing is lost. 
One brief moment and all will be as it was before. 
How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting when we meet again!

Source: https://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/death-is-nothing-at-all-by-henry-scott-holland

A better webbie than I can reformat these words. They genuinely helped me when the sudden shock hit.

I am unhappy today because our low cost airline in Iceland (WOW air) just went broke. The remaining airline is now gloating and raising their prices.

I actually had a flight booked today and I was ridiculously lucky I woke up early, saw the news and had the chance to book another flight before they filled up and got expensive.

This.

The dolphins' bodies were horribly mutilated, the fins cut off.

But what shocked French marine researchers wasn't just the brutality of the deaths of these highly intelligent mammals, but the numbers involved — a record 1,100 have landed on France's Atlantic coast beaches since January.

The mass deaths, widely blamed on industrial fishing, have alarmed animal welfare groups and prompted France's ecology minister to launch a national plan to protect them.

"There's never been a number this high," said Willy Daubin, a member of La Rochelle University's National Center for Scientific Research. "Already in three months, we have beaten last year's record, which was up from 2017 and even that was the highest in 40 years....."

Rain, much of it, followed by sun, followed by my poor eyesight at the moment. I heard a cracky sound...I had squashed a snail to death whilst walking dogs. I feel guilty. 

Two hours of torture at the dentist´s!!

And yet another puppy found abandoned at the beach...:(

35 minutes ago, john g. said:

Two hours of torture at the dentist´s!!

And yet another puppy found abandoned at the beach...:(

Sympathy John-  do you take any pain meds before the dentist?

IF I need a filling- even just replacement filling, I take 1-2 Ibuprofen  1 hour before. I am such a wuss with needles! ( and yes, I have the

freezing injection!)

So sorry you found another dead puppy.  Such heartlessness is tough to understand.

thanks, Red! Puppy is alive and maybe three months old. A camper has given first refuge...

Had temporary bridge removed, impressions taken, bridge put back in..4 injections...ouch...I need tablets now but have some Skype stuff for the next two-three hours and cannot risk falling asleep!:(:lol:

1 hour ago, john g. said:

.I need tablets now but have some Skype stuff for the next two-three hours and cannot risk falling asleep!:(:lol:

Goody Bessering John. Skype must be a life saver out there on Crete!

3 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Sympathy John-  do you take any pain meds before the dentist?

IF I need a filling- even just replacement filling, I take 1-2 Ibuprofen  1 hour before. I am such a wuss with needles! ( and yes, I have the

freezing injection!)

So sorry you found another dead puppy.  Such heartlessness is tough to understand.

I´m a real man, Red! I don´t take pain meds..I cry!!!

:P

I read in the news about an Icelandic artist who died in Berlin a few days ago, only 39 years old. Then I heard from my sister in law that he was my cousin's son. I didn't know him but I feel so bad for her :'(

Three years ago, today, my grandpa died. He never got to see my accomplishments or to meet my partner. But really I just wish I could give him one more hug.

58 minutes ago, SpongeOver said:

Three years ago, today, my grandpa died. He never got to see my accomplishments or to meet my partner. But really I just wish I could give him one more hug.

It breaks my heart to read this. I was very close to my grandpa too. He was like my hero. I also wish he is still alive to see how I am doing with life right now and for him to meet my family. 

Sad and bizarre -

British comedian Ian Cognito died performing a stand-up routine Thursday at the Atic bar in Bicester, England; however, according to those present at the show, the audience assumed it was all part of Cognito’s act.

Cognito, whose real name was Paul Barbieri, was halfway through his set when he sat down on a stool, at first breathing heavily, and then falling silent.

Atic owner Ryan Mold told CNN that Cognito “sat down, put his head and arms back; his shoulders were twitching.” Mold added that Cognito had a “flamboyant character on stage,” which made it difficult to tell something was wrong.

In fact, Cognito had joked about possibly dying in front of the audience just moments before it happened, saying, “Imagine if I died in front of you lot here.” He spoke about having a stroke or a heart attack.

When it became clear that Cognito was not OK, Bird and then others rushed the stage and tried to revive him with CPR. They called an ambulance, which arrived just after 10 p.m. Cognito died at the scene.

“Everyone in the crowd, me included, thought he was joking,” Bird said. “Even when I walked on stage and touched his arm I was expecting him to say, ‘Boo.’”

here

This is really strange. The same thing happened to another British magician/comedian on 15.04 1984. He was always shaking his hands and his catch phrase was " I did it just like that"

"TOMMY COOPER was always going to be a hard act to follow.

But at Her Majesty’s Theatre, Westminster, on the night of April 15, 1984, Les Dennis and Dustin Gee found it more difficult than they could possibly have imagined.

The comedians were the next act on the bill of LWT’s Live At Her Majesty’s, and Cooper had just collapsed from a fatal heart attack midway through his routine in front of millions of TV viewers.

An assistant had helped Cooper put on a cape, and host Jimmy Tarbuck was hiding behind the curtain, passing different props to Cooper who then pretended to pull them from under his cape.

Believing it was part of the routine, the assistant smiled at Cooper and the audience laughed uproariously as he fell, gasping for air. But as Tarbuck’s manager tried to drag Cooper back through the curtains, the director realised something was seriously wrong and cut to an unscheduled break."

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/on-this-day-in-1984-comedy-legend-tommy-cooper-died-on-live-tv/

A friend here told us today he was walking his dog amongst the olive trees and he heard sounds but couldn´t work out what. He saw a plastic bag hanging on a fence. He went over and, yep, five newborn puppies in there..abandoned.

:(

7 minutes ago, john g. said:

A friend here told us today he was walking his dog amongst the olive trees and he heard d sounds but couldn´t work out what. He saw a plastic bag hanging on a fence. He went over and, yep, five newborn puppies in there..abandoned.

:(

Evil people.  Any survivors?