Why are you unhappy today?

10,879 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, john g. said:

https://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article189424239/Notstand-auf-Kreta-Es-sieht-aus-als-waeren-wir-bombardiert-worden.html

Awful weather here on Crete...

:(:(

Edit: it is raining heavily again right now😟

"Rund ums Mittelmeer und auch in Griechenland kommt es in diesem Winter immer wieder zu Stürmen mit Hagel, starken Winden und heftigen Regenschauern. Meteorologen führen das Phänomen auf ein Hoch zurück, das sich zurzeit über Mitteleuropa befindet. Stürme würden davon nach Südeuropa abgedrängt."

Summary:

The high pressure area causing the current beautiful weather in Germany is pushing the severe storms towards Southern Europe and the Mediterranean.

Wow.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

8 days of blue skies and sunshine on Mallorca so far.

About the same here West of Hamburg - but it will probably have been warmer with you during daytime & certainly no frost at night!

Dental appointment this morning😧...getting ready to say goodbye to about five teeth😧😧😧😧😧at next appointment in two weeks‘ time.

Getting old requires an act of great bravery.

😟

At least we‘re back to sunny weather again tomorrow, dear Tor!

18 C expected!😍😜🙏🏻

GOODBYE storms and floods!

13 hours ago, john g. said:

An interesting quote from that link

"Sometimes people just ask, 'What's the point of learning a new language when there's stuff like Google Translate on the internet?'.

That does seem to be a current theme, and not just amongst naive hipsters and millenials and certainly not just in the uk. Where I work there is some belief in the management team that language issues can be overcome with "AI".  Though I havent seen it myself and I am skeptical, I am told the portugese and german office talk together over some kind of instant messenger with magic translation done in realtime and it works really well.

Having seen "automatically translated" subtitles on youtube, I find it hard to believe that this tech is even close to being ready but a lot of people insist that its just about there.  Its even less clear to me how this is expected to help offline (mates talking in a bar?) but then maybe Im a boomer and dont understand that there is no such thing as "offline" these days.

Interesting times.  

So universal translators from Star Trek are a reality? What amazing times to be alive.

1 hour ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Where I work there is some belief in the management team that language issues can be overcome with "AI".  Though I havent seen it myself and I am skeptical, I am told the portugese and german office talk together over some kind of instant messenger with magic translation done in realtime and it works really well.

Ow wow.

Best of luck to your company. There's certainly nothing that can go wrong with that (although if everyone signs on regarding the risk that is of course just fine).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7702913.stm

In my Computer Science days, they got as far with AI as

translating these phrases English -> German -> English. 

1. Out of sight is out of mind   ....  Invisible idiot
  2. Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak ...   Whisky is good but the steak is off.

Hope yours is better than back then B)

16 hours ago, john g. said:

On the other hand, in Wales, I wish I could speak Welsh------lovely-sounding

John, having been brought up in separated language streams in Welsh schools (the Cymraeg and Seasneg streams were separated in the 70s as back then that's how it was - I was in the English stream but still understand lots of Welsh - the spoken language isn't actually that nice. However when it is sung oh dear. Handkerchiefs all round for those of us who had to leave. We have a word "hiraeth" which means "home" but it has a deeper meaning for a lost place and also a time. Similar to the German "heimat". You can dig up welsh choirs on Youtube but have a listen to this. Robert Plant of Led Zep singing with a lovely Welsh singer:

I've loved the Afro Celts for years.

"Diwrnod yn hapus Dewi Sant" March 1st today is daffodil day in Wales. They used to grow outside my cottage every year up there.

I am of course fully aware of what is happening Brexit wise and not panicking or whatever.  But surprisingly upset when husband got voting papers for the May EU elections today and not me.  Really feel shit.  And must be worse for the elderly EU living in the UK who are not internet savvy trying to work there way through all the bureacracy.  

On 1.3.2019, 10:54:06, HH_Sailor said:

In my Computer Science days, they got as far with AI as

translating these phrases English -> German -> English. 

1. Out of sight is out of mind   ...  Invisible idiot

We got told about that one as well (2nd or 3rd year undergraduate course 1972 or 73 in Manchester).

2. Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak ...   Whisky is good but the steak is off.

Thats a new one on me - very good.

Ignorant monolinguists have sadly not had the opportunity to discover that the best reason for learning a foreign tongue is because it is fun.

IMG_0664.JPG.a3c111602e0945f6e5103e375c6

Chucked away by Greeks yesterday on our local beach...they know where the stupid foreigners hang out. A travelling camperman feeding them. Picture below by mistake..one of ours and I don´t remember how to erase it.

PHOTO-2019-03-01-15-23-46.jpg