Why are you unhappy today?

10,996 posts in this topic

very sad news, sorry mr jeff.  i just lost a friend yesterday as well.  if you come to hh for a memorial service  let me know and we can share a toast.

That's nice of you, Tor.

All I can offer El Jeffo are my condolences. I know the feeling of losing friends and relatives way too early.

6 hours ago, tor said:

very sad news, sorry mr jeff.  i just lost a friend yesterday as well.  if you come to hh for a memorial service  let me know and we can share a toast.

That's very kind of you, tor. If I do go, I'll be sure to let you know. But if it's during the week, I may have to stay in Berlin and look after our son - Marco was my wife's work colleague.

20 hours ago, tor said:

we can share a toast.

Forgot to add: sorry for your loss, too.

My father wrote today to say my mother (77) faces a future of a fourth knee surgery to 'clean' the area that is still being 'eatten' by some strange infection that showed up after her first knee surgery and has remained ever since. Two surgeries later there is talk of this fourth one and a potential amputation. My father has been struggling to adapt their home to accomodate Mom and take on all the housework, cooking, shopping etc. for a year now and now is sort of devastated by the latest 'no news is good news' seemingly unending saga of the deterioration of my mother.

I have only been in Germany for 10 months, but I have absolute no doubt that this is where I want to live. I have never felt this at-home in South Africa, and I feel like I have found my place in the world.

But. My dad's birthday was last week, my sister has her birthday this Saturday, the next Friday my brother has his 30th birthday, then the next week it's my best friends' birthday and the week after that it is my birthday.

For as long as i can remember I've spent my birthday between my sister and my two best friends (twins, who hate one another)

This is the first year without that, and I'm feeling a little sad about missing it. I know I will have an amazing birthday, but with so many birthdays packed together, I am feeling it.

I don't want to go back to South Africa... and it might sound silly, but I've been feeling a bit sad for the last couple of days.

On 20.2.2019, 10:27:30, SpongeOver said:

I have only been in Germany for 10 months, but I have absolute no doubt that this is where I want to live. I have never felt this at-home in South Africa, and I feel like I have found my place in the world.

But. My dad's birthday was last week, my sister has her birthday this Saturday, the next Friday my brother has his 30th birthday, then the next week it's my best friends' birthday and the week after that it is my birthday.

For as long as i can remember I've spent my birthday between my sister and my two best friends (twins, who hate one another)

This is the first year without that, and I'm feeling a little sad about missing it. I know I will have an amazing birthday, but with so many birthdays packed together, I am feeling it.

I don't want to go back to South Africa... and it might sound silly, but I've been feeling a bit sad for the last couple of days.

No reason to be unhappy, people who emigrated from Europe to America 100 years ago would never see their relatives again.

You can hop on a plane fly to SA in 12 to 15hrs. 550 to 660€

8 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

No reason to be unhappy, people who emigrated from Europe to America 100 years ago would never see their relatives again.

You can hop on a plane fly to SA in 12 to 15hrs. 550 to 660€

Yep! It may be too late for this year, but plan to take a holiday next year at "Birthday time", and spend you Birthday making memories with your friends and family.

Another not so bad one but I recently switched swim to cold bath day and the swim is fine, but, my goodness, the next day hangover :wacko:.  I may as well drink half a bottle of scotch and lots of beer.   Banging headache, nausea, diarrhoea (which at leasts beats the alternative) and all.  Quick to get over in the usual ways and a very good excuse to pop to the sauna, but I thought I was OK on recovery - far more dehydrating, perhaps?

47 minutes ago, swimmer said:

Another not so bad one but I recently switched swim to cold bath day and the swim is fine, but, my goodness, the next day hangover :wacko:.  I may as well drink half a bottle of scotch and lots of beer.   Banging headache, nausea, diarrhoea (which at leasts beats the alternative) and all.  Quick to get over in the usual ways and a very good excuse to pop to the sauna, but I thought I was OK on recovery - far more dehydrating, perhaps?

What does this even mean? In particular, the first sentence?

21 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

What does this even mean? In particular, the first sentence?

I was wondering too...about all of it. 

Sorry, to be clear, in Germany, many swimming baths  have some days scheduled as warm water swimming bath day and some days it is cold bath day.  Really - not heated, even when zero or less outside.    The first naturally costs a little more.   I changed my day after many years and now I am on cold bath day.  The swim is OK but the next day (ie. today) is much like a really bad hangover feeling :angry:.  Every week so far.  If anything, getting worse.

2 minutes ago, swimmer said:

Sorry, to be clear, in Germany, many swimming baths  have some days scheduled as warm water swimming bath day and some days it is cold bath day.  Really - not heated, even when zero or less outside.    The first naturally costs a little more.   I changed my day after many years and now it I am on cold bath day.  The swim is OK but the next day is much like a really bad hangover feeling :angry:.  Every week so far.  If anything, getting worse.

Then stop going to cold baths you daft  bint.

4 minutes ago, swimmer said:

Sorry, to be clear, in Germany, many swimming baths  have some days scheduled as warm water swimming bath day and some days it is cold bath day.  Really - not heated, even when zero or less outside.    The first naturally costs a little more.   I changed my day after many years and now I am on cold bath day.  The swim is OK but the next day (ie. today) is much like a really bad hangover feeling :angry:.  Every week so far.  If anything, getting worse.

Why don't you switch back then?

Logically I may have to  change back in the end and I suppose that is quite possibly really why I am unhappy :( .I would like to stick to the new day.  Was just not really expecting this I suppose, done it cold at previous points.  Probably getting older, which is another reason to feel down, when stuff you took for granted and did effortlessly for many years suddenly is nothing like so easy.  "Can no longer even manage cold bath day" feels bad.

Do this instead.

:lol:  OK, ladies and gents, we have a winner as to the best solution.  Problem solved, have a nice spring evening all.

I don't know how long you swim but this cannot be healthy in any way on a regular basis. Listen to your body. It is yelling at you.

Thanks, yes, something that was dawning during that sauna :) .   A bit like on the dental thread, it is "self-care" of doing for you what you would tell others to.  I do not want to but I must.   Second opinions help a lot, and can help to get to the root of the unhappiness.  (Just medium-paced swim like 30 mins btw, not some feat of endurance you would assume renders you bedridden next morning).

So back to warm bath day, assisted by large amounts of scotch and beer, it is :lol:.