Why are you unhappy today?

11,155 posts in this topic

My daughter, 13, bit me in a struggle to fasten up her coat in cold weather which she refuses to do herself. Today she is home sick. :wacko:

1 hour ago, optimista said:

My daughter, 13, bit me in a struggle to fasten up her coat in cold weather which she refuses to do herself. Today she is home sick. :wacko:

Is she homesick or at home sick? But " ouch " anyway...

I think (hope) she thought she was being playful... like the cat... but she was definitely out of other communication options for it to come to that. :(

On 2/4/2019, 2:36:53, bramble said:

Thanks hooperski, but what I can manage on my own I will do. Fights the boredom of being confined and besides I've been living on my own the past 30 years and am used to coping with everything all by myself. 

@bramble, I understand the need for independence, and how much you'd like your life to get back to normal.  But things do change permanently.  When my children first began chauffeuring me I was merely amused - now I appreciate them (and my friends) taking me places I can only reach on the freeway, as I don't drive freeways anymore.  There are other things others do for me - I'm not supposed to use ladders or even step stools, so anything that's too high for me is done by my children or the house cleaners. The same goes for moving heavy items.

It's good to know that you'll be living your life again as you like it, and when you're at last forced to give up some activities for good, accept your retirement gracefully.

14 minutes ago, katheliz said:

@bramble, I understand the need for independence, and how much you'd like your life to get back to normal.  But things do change permanently.  When my children first began chauffeuring me I was merely amused - now I appreciate them (and my friends) taking me places I can only reach on the freeway, as I don't drive freeways anymore.  There are other things others do for me - I'm not supposed to use ladders or even step stools, so anything that's too high for me is done by my children or the house cleaners. The same goes for moving heavy items.

It's good to know that you'll be living your life again as you like it, and when you're at last forced to give up some activities for good, accept your retirement gracefully.

I think you misunderstood. With some things I do need help now and again and will ask for it, but what I can still manage on my own I will do so. I also realise that as I get older I will need more help, in 10 years when I'm over 80 I might have to hire a household help to come round once or twice a week. In my present situation with a broken ankle and sitting in a wheelchair I am receiving help from my daughter and daughter-in-law, shopping, hoovering, cooking, putting out the garbage, taking care of the dogs etc., but other things like dusting, cleaning the toilet, ironing, washing dishes etc. I can do myself. I wouldn't dream of exploiting their kindness for things I can do myself just because I'm in a wheelchair. I feel pretty useless as it is anyway. 

Geez, Jeffo, I am really sorry. I will raise a glass in honor of your friend. 49 is just too fucking young. And certainly fuck cancer in all its forms in every body it invades, human or animal, friend or foe. Fuck cancer.

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

He was one of the nicest guys I've ever met. I'm absolutely crushed right now. Fuck cancer.

Jeffo, although we disagree on many things, the one thing every single one of us has in common is that sadness and loss come to all of us. Sympathies to your friend. Take care. Peace.

I am also very sorry to hear that, Jeff. Cancer is a bitch. Your friend deserved a longer life. As many of many friends and I myself are getting older, we are hopefully all very grateful for every day that we can live - whether a happy day or not.

Jeffo, as I'm getting older I'm losing friends at an alarming rate, and it's quite daunting.

It's never easy losing a close friend, especially when we think they had many years ahead of them.

I lost a good mate 4 years ago, he was only 50. Sure puts all life's peeves into perspective.

Wishing you and his family my best wishes.

I'm so so sorry, Jeffo. I lost my 2 best girlfriends way too son. One in the U.S. and one here. 

Hang in there, my friend. It will get a bit easier with time.

That's tough, Jeff. Way too young by any measure. Raise a glass to your friend.

Trivial compared to the above but I have quite the Monday morning hat-trick: Brexit, the collapse of the political party I have voted for all my life, and my football team`s manager getting fired :angry:.   All without leaving the house. What next?   Retiring to a darkened room for the rest of the day is the best tactic I think :o.

Thanks, everyone. It was a very sad day for the Jeffo family yesterday. We ultimately decided we didn't want to toil in the kitchen at all, so we went to a restaurant around the corner, where we managed to have some food with our wine. Thus blissfully dulled, we went to bed at a relatively early hour.

We spoke with our friend's mom (who lost her husband last year and her only child yesterday) and his widow this morning and they're doing well, all things considered.