Why are you unhappy today?

11,473 posts in this topic

Minor in the scheme of things but as you move on to new things in life, some things have to be set aside, at least for a while.   This is the first time in many years I am not going to the tennis week in Stuttgart which I did not think I'd miss, especially as even in mid-summer it often has abominable weather including total washouts, but today I am a bit :(.    It's something I was in the habit of doing.  It got moved from after Wimbledon  on clay (so struggled to get big names) to before and on grass, and so we suddenly got many of the stars like Nadal and Federer.

Dear me! We were out swimming today. I was lucky- nothing bad happened.

But my Nicole:

first she got into trouble with a dodgy current but made it back close to shore because she's a good swimmer BUT then she ran into a spot of bother with a vicious jelly fish... Painful arm and back now?

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

Dear me! We were out swimming today. I was lucky- nothing bad happened.

But my Nicole:

first she got into trouble with a dodgy current but made it back close to shore because she's a good swimmer BUT then she ran into a spot of bother with a vicious jelly fish... Painful arm and back now?

Sounds awful John. So nice how you always say 'my Nicole'. I've often told kiddo about rip tides...i.e. Need to swim horizontally away from the shore line.  Strong antihistamine and pain killers will help jelly fish stings.  I remember part of a scuba dive course I wussed out on for a day.  Unfortunately all other participants came back with Portuguese Man of War stings.  No remote island first aid..weather too bad for air lift.  Luckily, a few travelers had some antihistamine that helped.  All the best to you both.  

The jellyfish get bad in our northern part of the Adriatic when the weather gets hot. I have to look in the water for 10 minutes to make sure none are coming buy when I want to swim. Sometimes not possible. They have almost no natural enemies. We get the see-through jelly type as well as the ones that look like brown leather and are hard on top. I've poked them with the boat hook many times. Ewwwww!

Last year, we were sailing some friends up into the very northern part of the Adriatic to Trieste. There were literally millions of baby jellyfish in the water for about 8 miles. I guess we'll be seeing some of them all grown up this year.

I've never been stung but strong antihistamines going on my shopping list for our first aid kit. Thanks, emkay! 

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Awww! Poor Nicole!

I'm sure it hurts you as bad as it hurts her.

Did you pee on her?

Fraufruit knows that's an old wive's tale, she's just a bit kinky. :ph34r:

2 hours ago, emkay said:

Sounds awful John. So nice how you always say 'my Nicole'. I've often told kiddo about rip tides...i.e. Need to swim horizontally away from the shore line.  Strong antihistamine and pain killers will help jelly fish stings.  I remember part of a scuba dive course I wussed out on for a day.  Unfortunately all other participants came back with Portuguese Man of War stings.  No remote island first aid..weather too bad for air lift.  Luckily, a few travelers had some antihistamine that helped.  All the best to you both.  

• Thanks, emkay! Funnily enough, when I phone the Finanzamt in Harburg, the guy there always says " hello, my John " to me! Funny old world!:D 

We'll see if the NRA come out with some shit along the lines that it's the victims fault for being there. After all it's got nothing to do with guns.

There's really no need for gun control when the power of prayer is so well documented. (sic)

1 hour ago, hooperski said:

There's really no need for gun control when the power of prayer is so well documented. (sic)

There's always the escape clause that God's ways are unknown to man and that this [the most recent tragedy or outrage] is just part of a greater plan.

Borne out by "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing" and "Suffer little children". 

When I was getting my hair cut time before last my hairdresser's pastor was in the house.

He asked me if I was a "believer".  Let's say it just went downhill from there.

Basically he seems to think God has NO culpability for children (or even largely innocent adults) starving, getting horrible diseases, dying during child-birth due to complications...nor for natural disasters, nor for mass extinctions (even though he "created" those wonderful creatures), nor for...well, anything at all as far as I could tell.  All the evil in the world is man-made apparently.

and he wants me to justify why I'm not a "believer".

ha!  if I believed in THAT god I think I'd kill myself.  Better believe nothing in particular at all, aside from "I have noooooo idea, but definitely not that"

Oh dear, now my main hope of a job bites the dust.
I had two interviews with a company who have the contract across Germany for all US building security. They wanted me to join their team to provide security for the US Consulate in Munich. The paperwork I had to complete was unbelievable but it was necessary to gain US State Dep't clearance. After them asking for more and more documents they finally went quiet last week and today I was informed that they (US Consulate) have not approved my application, so no security training, no weapons training, no job.

They haven't specified why but I have the feeling they refused me due to my credit rating. This was something they kept questioning and asking for more info about.
I have no debts!
I'm truly solvent.
Sadly some years ago I had to go through a private insolvency which in Germany is a 6 year process overseen by the courts. For me it ended in late Sept. 2016 but the German credit agency (Schufa) keeps it on record for another 3 years, hence giving me a lousy credit rating which they describe as "untrustworthy and very likely to default on payments".
It was a bad time in my life, a one-off and it's now over, but seemingly not so as the US Consulate apparently consider my credit rating important for a job that has nothing to do with money, payments or anything similar.
I repeat; No debts, no defaults, nothing for almost 2 years now but I'm considered untrustworthy for a job even though for the first time in around 40 years I don't even have a loan.

Sorry to hear that, Malty. They don't believe you are untrustworthy - they just have guidelines to follow. 

Back in the day when I was being investigated for Q clearance to be able to work in certain areas of a nuclear facility, I was amazed at the questions that they asked people who knew me. I got the clearance but was still curious so I got copies of everything through the Freedom of Information Act.

When It comes to being in debt, if that was the reason (even though you aren't), their reason may be that you could be easily bribed by someone to gain classified info. That is how they operate. 

Disappointed with you and holding your hand.

1 hour ago, Malt-Teaser said:

They haven't specified why but I have the feeling they refused me due to my credit rating.

Sorry to hear that your dreams got shattered.

Are you sure that it is your credit rating?

Couldn't it be that they've found a website that shows that you are a Malt whisky connoisseur?

Look, I personally don't have a problem with that at all, I enjoy a "beverage" myself regularly... But then, I don't hand out guns to people...

As my e-mail address reflects the web address they could have said something earlier if that was the case.

The one thing they kept going on about and asking for more info about was the Schufa rating. They wanted the Schufa report, then came back asking for more details from the "private - for your own records only" section, then more ....

I've had a few rejections from others due to my age, they even said in some cases "we're a young team, you wouldn't fit in" and in one case "Sorry, but yesterday my CEO told me to only employ younger people". All illegal but they do this anyway.

The job had nothing to do with driving but they also insisted on a Flensburg (points) report. OK, I have no points and a 29y accident-free record too.

Yes, it could have been for any of a few reasons but their repeated insistence on more Schufa data makes me suspect this.