Why are you unhappy today?

11,473 posts in this topic

My mom texted me that my uncle passed away suddenly yesterday. I wasn't very close to the man, we had many differences, but reading his obituary online made it real. I feel incredibly sad for his only kid, just turned 19 and listed as the executor of his estate, obviously he was expecting to go a lot later in life. She's devastated and overwhelmed and probably a ton of other things. 

I can't afford to fly home for the funeral. Not sure I would even want to given that I wasn't close to him, but not even having the option is really putting me in a melancholy mood. Yeah. First death in the family while living here. Really puts things into perspective. 

On 10/04/2018, 22:44:24, PandaMunich said:

• 147.975 mg/dl

Well, sorry, but I had a look at my latest bloodwork, and I had more than you and I'm as healthy as a horse, with a perfectly sound heart (they did the entire check-up, including EKG).

Sorry to quote an old post (have't checked some TT threads for ages) but I am the same. High cholesterol, very good health, apart from the hip.

Sorry, but I am a cholesterol sceptic. I'm not a doctor but I am a bit of a heath freak, without jumping on to the latest bandwagons. For decades it was said that coconut oil was deadly. Now it's said that coconut oil is one of the healthiest oils around. 

There is good evidence to show that older people, especially women, with high cholesterol live longer. That the whole good-cholesterol-bad cholesterol thing is a myth. I'm not going to post any links here but you can check it yourself. There are studies that have been repressed.

Everyone freaks out when they hear high cholesterol. I just a blood test done and my doctor had me called to make an appoinment so I can go on medication. Sorry, but I am not going on statins.

And that is all I have to say.

To get back on topic?

I was unhappy two days ago as the granddaughter of my landlady and landlord (is there a collective word for that in English? It is so clumsy!) has been diagnosed with leukemia. She is only three. They were inconsolable -- the girl is is very much a part of their family here.

The good news is that it is treatable and she is in excellent shape and the prognosis is good so everyone is happy again.

1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

I was unhappy two days ago as the granddaughter of my landlady and landlord (is there a collective word for that in English? It is so clumsy!)

You could say "lessors", but it sounds awfully affected in this context.

1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

Sorry, but I am a cholesterol sceptic

I am too..to a point. Like, if you're in the 300s or 400s  this can't be good, as it's so far out.  Still my grandma-in law was around 400! but healthy as a freaking bear

I think triglycerides are a more accurate marker as they do seem to jive more clearly with immediate health issues

I'm unhappy as I lost my holiday to a migraine (feeling functional again at least) and I now have to get off my ass and go get my tires changed.  I hate the seasonal changing of the tires.  It's just so dumb.

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

I hate the seasonal changing of the tires.  It's just so dumb.

That's why we have Ganzjahresreifen. Of course we aren't going up into the Alps in winter or anything like that.

yes I will get them for the coming winter.  I just didn't have the sense/timing to pick out what I wanted for this round.

also unhappy/happy: my TÜV is up.  Unhappy to have to find a place to check my car which I only drive every couple of weeks now, but happy I had my tires changed as the guy doing the work pointed it out to me and happy it's not "too late" :) 

On 5.5.2018, 10:48:32, fraufruit said:

My BIL's neck cancer is back and they found out yesterday that it is big and in a difficult place. I feel sick for them.

Nasty. Cancer is terrible. Hope they can do something. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Thanks! He's doing great post-surgery - surprising all the doctors. This ain't his first rodeo. 

We are very hopeful.

Good wishes for recovery.  These days the Cancer word is not always the death sentence it used to be. Having seen amazing treatments/surgery for head and neck cancers, we all  focus on  the positive.

Thank you! He already "beat" stage 3 colon cancer and stage 3 neck cancer before and is constantly having different types of skin cancers removed. Don't remember if I mentioned that before.

We are burying one of the old boys this after. I can see in the faces of the others they are wondering whose turn it is next.