Why are you unhappy today?

11,174 posts in this topic

Sounds like a very vindictive, sick woman, cybil. Sorry you have to live within shouting distance.

How unhappy one must be to long to be bedridden - everyone else's worst nightmare.

Have some hugs.

Follow up. April 27th, Mom is having a third knee replacement surgery to try and clean up the mess/rot/infection from the previous two over the past year. Same dr. Same hospital. Was told she'd have a follow up of IV antibiotic and then a lifetime of low dose antibiotic. Trying to inform myself, I looked at Staff infection due to joint replacement surgery and the most often used IV antibiotic follow up. The antibiotic, when uesd on elderly patients with some hearing loss or kidney function issues, can exacerbate these health issues. Mom has a hearing aid for one ear. Being me. I'm worrying.

A recent article online says a study somewhere suggests that use of anesthesia in the elderly promotes early onset of dementia. This will be Mom's fifth anesteia  over the past five years. So far she seems totally fine brain functionwise.  I know these things are not in my control. My mother makes her own choices and Dad supports those. Still, when I walked past a toady lady pushing a stroller this morning I said nothing to her innocent 'Morgen!' and gave her my :) P.A. (passive agresive) smile feeling in my gut though that it was wrong to do so. Got into the woods to try and chill out, only to see these Tao symbol stacks of small rocks along the stream. Maybe kids just had been playing. Maybe the local Vietnamese Buddhist monks had been on their sometimes trek there and stopped to stack these symbols/blocks for fun. Or maybe it was my hippy dippy German Ü-60 skinny lesbian pothead neighbor who is half brain-dead and would say OHM to all my ranting and that also walks down in the woods. Whomever it was, I took their three stacks of orderly rocks (less than a foot tall, but hey, rocks) and thew every single one of them into the stream. It felt good. No orderly stacks of rocks in the chaos of nature, in the chaos of my feelings about Mom. I admit, later it felt like eco vanadalism, but in the moment, it had felt good. On second thought, maybe this post belongs in the Vent thread.

Oh, your poor mother!  One Total Knee is brutal enough, but three!  You're right to worry about the effects of general anesthesia.  The MRSA (methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus) infection which has invaded most/all hospitals is dangerous.  And now your mother is perhaps subjected to all three.  

Throw all the rocks you can, and hope that the hospital's Risk Management Department is aware of their hospital's bad record with regard to managing your mother's health.

10 minutes ago, katheliz said:

Oh, your poor mother!  One Total Knee is brutal enough, but three!  You're right to worry about the effects of general anesthesia.  The MRSA (methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus) infection which has invaded most/all hospitals is dangerous.  And now your mother is perhaps subjected to all three.  

Throw all the rocks you can, and hope that the hospital's Risk Management Department is aware of their hospital's bad record with regard to managing your mother's health.

My mother wrote an official angry note to me today when I asked if a medical review board or lawyer had been consulted concerning her surgeries. She says she blames no one and that this just 'happens sometimes.' I guess I'm not one to accept this so easily. My father also had a knee replacement surgery, same hospital, same dr. and was fine, walking without any aid even, after his six weeks and rehab. No wonder that they trust the guy to do a good job.

On Mon Apr 2 20:36:06, coolness.personified said:
2 minutes ago, cybil said:

My mother wrote an official angry note to me today when I asked if a medical review board or lawyer had been consulted concerning her surgeries. She says she blames no one and that this just 'happens sometimes.' I guess I'm not one to accept this so easily. My father also had a knee replacement surgery, same hospital, same dr. and was fine, walking without any aid even, after his six weeks and rehab. No wonder that they trust the guy to do a good job.

Quite system buggering up again.

Not sure how old your mother is, but if she is from the same generation as my parents and inlaws, then even questioning a doctor is just not the done thing.

Suggesting malpractice, it's like blasphemy.

38 minutes ago, Metall said:

Take her to a different hospital!!

I would! She is in Oregon and I am ín NRW, Germany. My sisters in America. One lives in Washington state. The other in Boston. I've offered to Skype with Mom, my older sister in Boston has also, younger sister isn't into technology so staying out of the loop. MOm doesn't address the Skype thing.I think she doesn't wantto talk in person about it. That's Mom.

9 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

Quite system buggering up again.

Not sure how old your mother is, but if she is from the same generation as my parents and inlaws, then even questioning a doctor is just not the done thing.

Suggesting malpractice, it's like blasphemy.

Mom's 76 and Dad's 79. You are right. Generational thing can get in the way. Who wants their kids telling them what to do either.

Well, now that I know she's in Oregon, I believe it's safe to say that there is a Risk Management Department, and that your mother's case/s have been peer reviewed.  If you want, you can send a letter to the Quality Department.  Bullet-point the facts - long, run-on three-page letters are overstatements - that you think are important.  You'll get a response at some point, if only to reassure you that they're working on it, but hospitals don't wash their dirty laundry in public.  If someone gets fired, and it does happen, you'll never hear about it.

However, the various departments which cared for your mother, from surgery down to environmental engineering (janitors) will get a heads-up that something they did or didn't do, will have to show that they've addressed the problem and that the people involved have been counseled.  And this means even people who didn't wash their hands before caring for your mother.  Washing hands is one of the biggest contributors to hospital-caused infections.

Please emphasize to your Washington-based sister how important it is to have someone 24/7 at your mother's side, if only to refill her water glass or alert the night nurse if her morphine drip fails.  Nurses are busy people and patient needs are often overlooked.

Example:

• Night nurse 3/26/18 didn't wash her hands or my mother's after bedpan use.
  • Doctor X 3/27/18 brushed off my mother's request for more pain medication.
  • Rehab practitioner X was rough and made my mother cry 3/28/18 when he raised her from the bed.

I have a friend who throws rocks for therapy. She also hits golf balls. I went straight to her house after I buried my son. What you are doing is a natural coping mechanism as far as I'm concerned.

I know how helpless you feel with the distance. I flew home a lot and spent many nights in my mom's various hospital rooms. Sometimes they forgot to feed her or forgot to put her oxygen canula back on after PT, etc. They truly are overworked and underpaid. 

I hope you can try to keep your focus on a successful surgery and infection treatment. Believe in the good stuff.

Arms around you.

15 hours ago, katheliz said:

Well, now that I know she's in Oregon, I believe it's safe to say that there is a Risk Management Department, and that your mother's case/s have been peer reviewed.  If you want, you can send a letter to the Quality Department.  Bullet-point the facts - long, run-on three-page letters are overstatements - that you think are important.  You'll get a response at some point, if only to reassure you that they're working on it, but hospitals don't wash their dirty laundry in public.  If someone gets fired, and it does happen, you'll never hear about it.

However, the various departments which cared for your mother, from surgery down to environmental engineering (janitors) will get a heads-up that something they did or didn't do, will have to show that they've addressed the problem and that the people involved have been counseled.  And this means even people who didn't wash their hands before caring for your mother.  Washing hands is one of the biggest contributors to hospital-caused infections.

Please emphasize to your Washington-based sister how important it is to have someone 24/7 at your mother's side, if only to refill her water glass or alert the night nurse if her morphine drip fails.  Nurses are busy people and patient needs are often overlooked.

Example:

• Night nurse 3/26/18 didn't wash her hands or my mother's after bedpan use.
  • Doctor X 3/27/18 brushed off my mother's request for more pain medication.
  • Rehab practitioner X was rough and made my mother cry 3/28/18 when he raised her from the bed.

I think Dad's the one being by Mom at the hospital by day. My sister in Washington is being silent about what's going on. I think Dad goes home though and comes back mornings to see Mom again, so no one is there 24/7 until she is back home with the IV and a nurse visits to change that.

Katheliz, thank you for sharing what you know about Oregon health care system!

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Being sent home with an IV  ----   Only in America.

It does sound like something from a sit-com.

@cybil, I think all US hospitals have Risk Management and Quality Departments; Member Services Departments handle patient complaints, queries, and praise.  Medical Departments hold peer review sessions.  A well-run hospital uses all of these to assure that patient care is kept to the highest level.

But there are times when a failure - and it's usually a systems failure - occurs.  My mother, too, said that the infection that cost her the eyesight in one eye was just one of those things.  But maybe it wasn't.  The only way to be sure hospitals stay on top of these issues is for patients to report questionable results.  Internal investigation is a good thing, but hospitals need to be reminded that the public is paying attention to their practices.

It's all right for you to complain on behalf of your mother. 

Today is a strange day. 
It's my last day working for my current employer and I've never worked anywhere as long as I worked here.
This was the company I worked for when my kids were born.
This is the company I worked for when I moved to Germany.

Moving on after 18 years feels like a pretty big change.

I guess the ‘divorce’ started 2 years ago when they outsourced the German services branch to be a new company. 
The ‘Decree Nisi’ came at the start of the year when they said my services were no longer required after May.
Today could be considered the ‘Decree Absolute’, I won't do any more work for that company.

I was delivering cloud designs spanning continents to multi-billion dollar, ‘household name’ companies, working with teams all over the world to support their systems.

Now I'm starting from scratch with a small firm that is literally 1000 times smaller than the old, we are building a cloud consulting service for the German 'mittelstand'.

For the first time in my career the company language isn't English, the customers are mostly German and the underlying hardware is entirely out of our control.

It's a new day and I don't know how to feel about that.

See also 'Why are you happy today'.

34 minutes ago, pappnase said:

I was delivering cloud designs spanning continents to multi-billion dollar, ‘household name’ companies, working with teams all over the world to support their systems.

Now I'm starting from scratch with a small firm that is literally 1000 times smaller than the old, we are building a cloud consulting service for the German 'mittelstand'.

For the first time in my career the company language isn't English, the customers are mostly German and the underlying hardware is entirely out of our control.

It's a new day and I don't know how to feel about that.

Well this cloud thing is a pile of horseshit, as is outsaucing to some Third World sweatshop. You may not like to hear this, but i reckon you have a safer job with an old fart Jerry company than with some modern fly by night who sells out at the drop of a hat.