Why are you unhappy today?

11,496 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, katheliz said:

That's just lice.  You haven't lived until you've had scabies.

I got scabies in Turkey.   Arriving late to a hotel in Kars, I was really tired and only realised on waking that the nasty smell was coming from the filthy sheets.   Back home my GP in London said it was nothing  just a bit itchy, use more moisturiser.  3 months later gave it to my new boyfriend :).  

Unlikely to get it here.  Threadworm are much more likely.   I was surprised here that the 2 doctors we saw never advised treating the entire family.    You can get rid of them with strict hygiene, but is not really something you can control in children.  If they have an itchy bum  they will scratch it, especially at night.

11 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Today is the 7th anniversary of losing my son. Seems like yesterday.

Losing family is so sad, especially when they are close. I remember you talking about him, the struggles, and how things became better.

You go tell Himself to hug you and not say anything.

1 hour ago, katheliz said:

That's just lice.  You haven't lived until you've had scabies.

ohhhhh I had scabies in uni.  My doctor was really funny about it: "oh you don't have to be embarassed" (I wasn't) "really it's ok" (yeah it was...aside from the insufferable itching) "don't worry, I'm not judging you" (ha!  ok now I'm starting to think you *are* judging me ;) )

my brother was always bringing home lice - one time he had it so bad they shaved his head.

I never got it.  No one else in my family did either.  Kids who regularly played at our place also didn't get infected.  Little brother was the chosen one.

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Today is the 7th anniversary of losing my son. Seems like yesterday.

Take it easy and maybe have a treat like a nice meal for his honour in a restaurant every year. The act may help to remember him, and help to ease the triggers which trip one up around anniversaries of events.

It´s always sad when kids die before they are old...parents .losing TWO at the same time..jeez..I just happened to read this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-43169769/aunts-pay-tribute-to-brothers-killed-in-coventry-crash

What mother could recover from that? Anywhere in the world..this just happens to be in England.

( Respect to fraufruit, by the way..just noticed her post above ).

I remember in my street growing up that a daughter phoned her mum from a public phone box to tell her she´d be home right away and she hung up on the phone, leaving it dangling,  cos her bus was coming..the mother on the other end heard screams...jeez...yep, the bus knocked her over...

A former military colleague just posted this photo of Silent Valley in Aden where fellow young serving innocents are buried.    It was a horrid destination to be posted to let alone to be buried in.   The gravestones have since been smashed to pieces.  

A3D6EB45-C2D2-45DE-99C9-1F900E0B2D32.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Clive2677 said:

A former military colleague just posted this photo of Silent Valley in Aden where fellow young serving innocents are buried.    It was a horrid destination to be posted to let alone to be buried in.   The gravestones have since been smashed to pieces.  

Clive - I've travelled in the old British hill stations of India and there are sad old Christian churches with graves of young colonials buried out there also. Moving places. 

Have you visited any Commonwealth War Graves out here in Germany? One up the road from me.

No, I haven’t but maybe, one day.   Best wishes friend.  

The BBC made a drama set in Aden during the pre war era I believe. Aden and Aden States were an important stop for the ships making the six week ship journey to India the Jewel in the Crown. My Dad made that journey to Ceylon in 1948.

I’m sorry I’m posting on this thread, haven’t been on TT for almost 4 years and I can’t find my way around the new layout. 

Can someone help me?

my partner (German) of 8 years and father of my child announced that he wants to separate. 

I already have a long list of places to call tomorrow (Jugendamt, Jobbörse, profamilia and something else. 

It’s supposed to work out friendly but I want to have my bases secured (or whatever the expression is) and guarantee that my son gets all that he’s entitled to (I say this because ex-oh/asshole announced that he already looked for and found someone else and she has 2 kids of her own).

i’m sure there’s a thread for something like this but I can’t find it and  I’m so tired and sad and just want to cry and go home to my family but I can’t ?

can someone please point me in the right thread direction?

The Jugendamt is a good idea, they will make him sign a paper in which he obliges himself to pay the legal child support according to the "Düsseldorfer Tabelle", this child support depends both on the child's age and on his net income: http://www.olg-duesseldorf.nrw.de/infos/Duesseldorfer_Tabelle/Tabelle-2018/Duesseldorfer-Tabelle-2018.pdf

For example, for a child up to 5 years old, child support is at least 348€ a month.

However, you should also know that even though you're not married, you will get shared custody with your ex-partner, and he will probably get him every 2nd weekend. This also means that unless he agrees to you moving back home, you are stuck here in Germany until your child turns 18.

Firstly I had to convince the Arbeitsamt that their "50+" retraining programme wouldn't really offer me anything, especially as it would be a 5 month full-time course teaching me:

How to use a PC

How to send e-mails

How to use Word & Excel

How to behave in an office environment

and finally; how to speak English.

After this little experience and just 3 minutes after arriving home my landlady called to tell me she had just put a "Mietvetrag Kundigung" into the post and not to panic when i receieve it.

WTF else should I do?