Facebook

1,288 posts in this topic

How many people here use Facebook?

I get the feeling it's just catching on here as opposed to in the states where 'everybody thats anybody' has an account.

I've been using it about a month now...it seems good fun!

I use Facebook, and a lot of my friends do too. I think it is catching on in England, not so sure about Germany. Here everyone seems to be on Studivz.net. Maybe that is just among students though I am talking about.

certainly not as widespread here as in the US and Canada. In the UK it seems to be mostly younger people (kids still still at school, college or university plus more recent grads). No-one from my year at school or uni is on facebook despite all my schools and universities being listed.

I'm slowly but surely getting into it. Tis a handy way of uploading and sharing photos without too much unnecessary bollocks.

It seems to be the social network type thing for people in college/university and recent graduated people. Or thats the impression I get. There is actually a german equivalent of which the name is evading my brain,.

also a great or easy way to stay in touch with friends from around the world without much hassle. The photo part is great.

I use it for keeping in touch with family and people I met while travelling, the widgets aspect is pretty cool and it's well designed. I don't get the poking bit though.

I have Facebook, I signed up for it when I was studying in the States (in 2004).

Until a few months ago you had to be a student at a US college to sign up so not a lot of Germans had an account there, but now it's open to everyone.

StudiVZ is pretty much the German version of Facebook, I have that and it seems almost every student does now. It's so popular.

The poking is for saying hi without actually having to say something. ;) On StudiVZ it's called gruscheln.

ah the poking thing is just what it says. you poke someone to get there attention I guess.

Where I come from, poking someone certainly gets their attention alright...especially if they were not expecting it.

Ah - gruscheln. The German one's cuter than the finger - is it considered rude to poke someone in Germany? I know some folk that freak over fingerpointing. You may as well be pelting them with rancid parrotpoop.

It seems to be the social network type thing for people in college/university and recent graduated people. Or thats the impression I get.

I agree, I opened an account there too but I DO NOT like it as I'm not a student or a recent graduate and none of my friends use it, I prefer My Space by a long stretch as it is more welcoming to people of all ages, Facebook is too studenty and definitely useful just to keep in contact with people you went to school with...

I don't know about that, the company where I work also has a little network on there and there are older people on it. Not much point if nobody you really know is on there though...

Facebook is too studenty and definitely useful just to keep in contact with people you went to school with...

I don't see that at all. I am using it quite happily to share photos with friends, none of whom I went to school with.