Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Keeping a husky dog happy in a small apartment

86 posts in this topic

I'm wishing you the best of luck with your dog, Rose! I have one myself, so I can relate to how much he means to you. Anyhow, hopefully you'll find an acceptable solution to your problem (dog walker sounds like a good plan to me!) and will not have to find another place for him. *fingers crossed* :)

So many so called animal lovers are like this. I think they love themselves more than the animals. How can anyone keep a dog the size of a Huskey in a FLAT, It is ridiculous and totaly selfish.

If the dog gets enough suitable exercise when it's outside then the size of the flat doesn't matter. A garden, no matter how large, is going to be boring for a dog as soon as he has explored all of it and memorised every smell therein. This doesn't take long for a dog.

Normally a well trained dog will just curl up and sleep when it realises that it's chill time and nothing interesting is going to happen for a while, especially if the dog realises that when he does get out for a walk there is going to be non-stop action and work for an hour.

Guess I'm just lucky that my dog is a guard dog and old (12 1/2 years of age), so he sleeps all day long and doesn't require that much exercise anymore. I still walk him three times a day, but he's sloooooow. :) Anyhow, huskies surely are much different, and it seems logical that they would need a LOT of exercise, regardless of the size of the apartment/house.

Working dogs need to be worked not walked.

I feel so sorry for all working dogs that are reduced to being pets.

If people realy loved animals they would not treat them like this, the worst for me is birds in cages.

All of this is far more cruel than fox hunting as I am a member of the West Norfolk.

phoenix-rose -

good luck with the citronella anti barking collar, but it didn't work at all for us! our normally mellow labrador was hyped up beyond the norm though. unfortunately, severe separation anxiety can't be cured quickly. have you spoken to your vet about this? in some instances, dogs can be treated with prozac, or other such medications. not sure if that's the answer for your dog, but it can't hurt to talk to a professional.

jane

p.s. our new rescued chesapeake bay retriever had some separation anxiety issues, which were resolved within 4 or 5 months. he was really downtrodden when we got him, had been in shelters up and down the east coast of the states and had virtually no self esteem whatsoever. sorted him out with lots of love, and insane bataan death march style walks. i also took an obedience course (all based on food rewards) with him, which in addition to being lots of fun, really helped him and me. now he's a changed dog. i can't stress enough how much exercise means to a dog of this sort. don't know huskies per se, but i do know retrievers and they crave movement.

please let us know how this plays out and try to be patient! :)

I wonder how many chickens it has just killed. We hate em in Norfolk

Chickens? You're probably just not cooking them correctly. Get yourself a good cookbook and make the effort. It'll pay dividends in the end.

How can anyone keep a dog the size of a Huskey in a FLAT, It is ridiculous and totaly selfish.
Grade A ignorance. Well done. You get alot of shit from TT peeps, because you slag off Germany, but I normally see your point. Not this time.

If the dog gets enough suitable exercise when it's outside then the size of the flat doesn't matter.

Oh, there we go, a decent comment from somebody who knows his shit.

Working dogs need to be worked not walked.
OK, JN, now you are back on track. Thing is, working the dog should be part of the walk.

Be careful with too much "attention" - too much and he'll really will miss you when you leave.

Dogs ain't born with this "separation anxiety" crap. Humans give it to them. Cookie has good advice, but she's talking about dogs she's rescued that already have some fuckups. With this husky, I imagine that there is a root problem you have to sort out that is separate from the separation stuff. Without wanting to get all Cesar Millan on y'all, don't praise a dog or give affection unless it is in a calm submissive state. "I em the dorg whiiiiiiisperer."

When did Sweden become part of Germany?

If this is an import readily availably here, then you've obviously found the exception that proves the rule.

go with Nutro. it's not bad and available at Fressnapf and other places.

Re - possible start - this is a rescue dog - I am the 5th owner, and part of why I don't want to get rid of him is because of that. He had 4 owners in the first 3 years of his life - he wouldn't bond, and was in and out of animal shelters. They finally sent him to a local no kill animal shelter that specialized in huskies and they worked with him and gave him lots of dog obedience and training. Finally, I adopted him and I've had him for the last 4 years. In all honesty, he's quite laid back and a rather mellow dog for a husky. Since I've gotten him, the only other symptoms of anxiety he's had were the first 2 weeks when we got to Germany and shuffled between 2 hotels then the apartment. After the first week here, he got settled and has seemed ok. I am thinking maybe his recent anxiety is because I had to make an emergency trip to the states in November and he stayed with a dog sitter. My routine's been a bit off since then (holidays) and this is where I'm thinking this episode has come from.

Re Spray collar - He was initially trained with lemon if he got to barking too much, and while I haven't needed to go that route in at least 2 years, I'm thinking that the collar may help. It's a little difficult to do the lemon in the mouth if I'm not here, so theoretically it'll serve as a reminder to the training.

4 walks seemed to help today - by the time I got home, he laid down and snoozed - didn't even bother me for dinner. I dashed out to grab the mail and he didn't cry. It's a start, so maybe he'll keep it up. *crosses fingers*

~Rose

P.S. Re Food - Mine's on Pro Plan Lamb & rice - mixed with part of a can of beef and vegis. Vet in the US said that other than science diet, it was the best thing for him...

I haven't got time to read the entire thread, but just for the sake of the dog:

Put a notice in the local pet shop, in the local paper (for example, Hallo - you can do this online at www.hallo-verlag.de if you get a German speaker to help you), at your local supermarket or vet for dog walkers. Germans love dogs - you'll soon find a pensioner or teenager to walk your dog. At my local pet shop there are already ads for such. You can also contact the 'Nachbarschaftshilfe' who may help too. Your vet can also give you contact nos. and addresses. You only need to ask!

In the meantime start looking urgently for a ground floor flat with garden near a park.

Good luck! And stop behaving like there's no-one around to support you. If you explain to the Germans that you are urgently looking for appropriate accommodation and for dogsitters and walkers, they'll help you.

Mine's on Pro Plan Lamb & rice - mixed with part of a can of beef and vegis. Vet in the US said that other than science diet, it was the best thing for him...

Vet talks shit.

Same food every day leads to boredom too you know. Just buy crappy cheap stuff from the butchers. Veg is also good, just chop loads, cook it for ages, puree it, freeze it off in portions and add it to meat and wholemeal rice or pasa, or potatoes, and its great. Also, mothers in law are so fuckiong stupid, they see it cooking away, and eat some of it. Idiot German mother in law twats.

When did Sweden become part of Germany?

If this is an import readily availably here, then you've obviously found the exception that proves the rule.

It is available here (Freising, which is part of Germany (Bavaria)). If a product hails from another country, it is called an import you dont actually have to visit or invade the producing country to obtain it :P

My dog particularly enjoys the Elk, which I am sure the lefty, carrot munching members will have something to say about.

It is about the best dog food on the market, they also make food for cats too (to fatten them up for the dogs to eat, I guess) :o

Vet talks shit.

Same food every day leads to boredom too you know. Just buy crappy cheap stuff from the butchers. Veg is also good, just chop loads, cook it for ages, puree it, freeze it off in portions and add it to meat and wholemeal rice or pasa, or potatoes, and its great. Also, mothers in law are so fuckiong stupid, they see it cooking away, and eat some of it. Idiot German mother in law twats.

As a long term husky owner the last thing you should do is change their food. If you do it has to be introduced gradually over a period of 2 weeks otherwise it will give them the shits. I agree veg is good and so is meat but again when it comes to huskies you should not cook the living daylights out of it, if at all it as this takes away all the vitamins and minerals. Lots of husky breeders I know feed raw meat, fish and some still frozen and the dogs love it. Mine eat tomatoes, apple, cucumber, carrots. He gets rice and cottage cheese is he has an upset tum and that is advice from vets both here and in the UK.

All dogs are different and its worth taking the time to speak to people who have experience on each breed and also read as much info as you can. After speaking to Phoenix Rose via PM its quite clearly appears to methat her dog is well looked after, loved and cared for. Sometimes its worth taking the time to get the facts before jumping to conclusions that the dog should be rehomed or she is a bad owner.

In general. your advice on not continually changing a dog's diet is correct and not relevant to only huskys.