Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Keeping a husky dog happy in a small apartment

86 posts in this topic

Oh shut up MadAxeMurderer. The positive suggestion is indeed doggy day care. She needs to find that. Problem solved.

Try a search with 'Tierbetreuung Berlin'

I don't understand the bit about him not understanding the language. And you thinking it would be cruel to ditch him on people who don't speakyour language.

Dogs speak: affection, exercise, food, play. They don't speak English or German.

If the green area out the back is a communal are for kids to play, and barbeques etc, I can understand your nieghbout not wanting him to use it as his personal toilet. And the problem is not that your neighbour is cimplaining. Its that your dog is unhappy.

I think Bad Doggie is painfully on the button. It's hard, but none the less true.

You have to figure out who you are putting first; your dogs well being or your having him around. Seems you are being a little unfair about it at the moment.

May-be ship him home to stay with family, until you return.

the one relatively close friend who would have taken him just joined the military, so no can do. I asked the others before I left, and they all said NO.

Unfortunately, I'm an only child so really that kind of limits family.

So, I'm really thinking at least give the dog walker route a try. If it doesn't work go from there.

~Rose

Well, as an owner of a dog who suffers from separation anxiety, here are my two cents.

1. The dog needs at least an afternoon break. I don’t leave my dog (and haven’t left any of my dogs) alone for more than 4 hours without a break. As he’s whining, sounds like you need someone to come twice a day.

2. Exactly how much exercise do you give your dog? To compare, mine is a 10 year-old mini schnauzer (all 13.9 lbs of her!) and she gets 3 walks for a total of about 2 hours a day, with additional play time, training sessions and grooming. There are many times she’ll just walk away from me because she WANTS me to leave the house. Unfortunately, this is the state you have to get them to when they have separation anxiety.

3 .Crate training is NOT CRUEL. Everyone I worked with in Schnauzer rescue recommends it. There are certain psychological reasons why a crate is better for a dog than free roam, but you can’t keep them in there all day. And, in my opinion, Germans do not have a great track record for dog ownership. I frequently see dogs running away from their owners and into the street because the dog is not 100% on his recalls, yet the owner doesn’t want to bring a leash. That is far more dangerous and cruel than any crate.

So, in sum, here’s my advice: more exercise, a (or two) midday break(s), start the crate training from square one again to reinforce quiet behavior. You might also want to check out some breed message boards for some ideas. I read a mini schnauzer one quite often to see what other ideas people have. Good Luck!

EDIT: Seems you already got that. Carry on . . . :ph34r:

Rose,

Here is a service that may be of interest to you. Sorry the site is in German but the collect your dog and he gets a 3 hour run/play with other dogs.

http://www.luckydog-berlin.de/auslauf/auslauf.html

Seems price as it is 23 Euro per day. or a discounted 17 EUro a day for mor than 3 times per week.

I cannot vouch for this as I just googled it.

HI Cookie,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think that he has major separation anxiety. He always has - I thought he was over it until just here lately.

1) At Kat's suggestion, I did a search, but I'm in Teltow (again the apartment being a PITA) and nothing popped up. I'll check the local Vet on Monday and/or be posting here.

2) He gets walked at least 2 times a day (usually 3) and is on leash until we get to these huge fields where he can be taken off to go run. At home, I wrestle with him and play. I've tried teaching him to fetch, but he won't do it. He thinks Why'd you throw it away if you want me to bring it back? You don't want it in the first place. (same for frisbees/etc.)

3) I agree re the kennel/crate training. He likes it - and if I'm home, he has always gone in there to sleep/relax when he didn't want to deal with me or the cats. If he wouldn't chew the couch/garbage/shoes - he didn't for the first 6 months here - it just started since November/December when I got him back from a dog sitter - I would let him out to be in the apartment more. Since he's a husky, he's pretty much always on a leash - unless we're at the fields (and then I have it with me).

I will check the boards for huskies again - I haven't seen anything new lately, but can't hurt.

Thanks again.

~Rose

Yes, I know he has lots of energy - in the summer, I ride my bike and he runs along side. Right now, the weather isn't condusive to doing so...

Why is your husky cold sensitive?

There's a aguy near me still cycling with his huskies even in the snow. Oh and by the way just to get one thing straight that you mentioned in your original post; if I left a baby 8 hours couped up alone and it cried I would be called a bad parent. They would also quickly relieve me of my parental duties fine me and god knows what. If there is one thing slightly more annoying than people who neglect their dogs, it's those who compare them to children. :P

Seriously no idea how much a dog runner is. Cant be more than 15 Euros an hour though. Try and find someone who likes to jog or neads to get fit after the xmas pounds have piled on. If your nieghbour goes through with the threat of ringing someone you may find yourself with an Amtstierartz coming round and declaring your animal Herrenlos and you'll lose him or rather in all probability he will be put to sleep. Be careful.

Here is a site about dog that should have a lot of information on how and where you can get dog sitters and kennel/crate training. It's in German though.

www.hunde.de

Nope - re bike riding - I don't like riding my bike in the rain/cold and 6 inches of mud in the fields where I can do this (in the summer it's not mud). He doesn't go well enough with the bike (still easy enough distracted) that I can take him on a road with cars - I'm afraid he'd dart into traffic.

Gideon - my point was more - the top floor neighbors have a baby who cries ALOT (they are home) and can't make it stop... but no one complains about their kid crying. Yes, I agree - if they were leaving them alone, then it'd be bad parent. I wasn't trying to compare it in that respect. Believe me, if I could be home with him more (AND/OR take him to work with me) I would be more than happy to. I already take the dog w/me where I can (restaurants/etc) but not ALL of them let you - and my work being the one MAIN place I go/come from.

~Rose

thanks Deccie, Kat, and Lifeisabuffet. I'm looking at those sites, and I have a few phone calls to make it seems.

*crosses fingers* hopefully one of these will be able to help.

~Rose

Gideon - my point was more - the top floor neighbors have a baby who cries ALOT (they are home) and can't make it stop... but no one complains about their kid crying.

Again comparing a dog to a child. Child gets cholic and cries. Dog gets left alone and cries. Two very different situations. One is down to neglect, and isnt the dogs fault. The other is a passing phase in a childs development and you can bet your arse the parents arn't have a jolly time of it. (Do not use the baby argument when the cops are knocking on the door.)

Get your dog sorted mate, before the authorities do. The day care costs are cheap by the look of the posts above. Is there anyway you can ship him back to the states?

Gideon - my point was more - the top floor neighbors have a baby who cries ALOT (they are home) and can't make it stop... but no one complains about their kid crying.

maybe they are complaining or at least thinking about that child to shut up.

the difference is the child is not cying because it is left alone but because it's a baby. ur dog is loud because he is alone.

from a noise perspective, both are annoying. One gets complaints, the other doesn't. As someone who DOES NOT like kids, I find crying and misbehaving children far worse than any dog. However, I agree that my dog should NOT be crying, and that I DO NOT like to/WANT to have him doing so.

Regardless, why I posted was because I'm trying to get my dog sorted out before the authorities. (hello)

Yes, I'd like to ship the dog back the states. At this point, there is no one to take him back there - my parents have taken the cats - they have no means/room to take the dog in addition.

For now, I'm off to walk the dog...

~Rose

i'd say Cookie is spot on. your dog needs more attention and exercise. if you cannot get him outside more as others, and i agree, say he needs then you need to make the effort. you say you walk him multiplte times, but never say for how long. increase that time. also, work on training- even simple obedience to keep his mind from getting as bored. you say he doesn't do well while you bike, well train him. he's your dog, you took on the responsibility so it's your job to work with him.

if time is a restraint and that's why he's not walked as much training him to run next to a bike will help get his energy out more. you don't like it in the rain, etc. but i don't think you'll like it much if your neighbors complain enough that you get kicked out or lose your dog.

and crate training is fine and beneficial, as long as you do the training correctly and don't rush it.

if it is a case of your dog also being lonely have you left on a radio to add noise for him while you're gone?

I've tried teaching him to fetch, but he won't do it.

He's a husky, they don't like to do that. They do like to dig and are like mini-Houdinis when they are in a collar or harness. My parents used to attach a rope to her harness with a sled on the other end and she would pull my nieces and nephews around in the snow. She loved it - retrievers are born and bred to retriever, huskies love to pull. They need lots and lots of exercise.

So, it's obvious you love your dog and I hope you will follow some of the advice here (find a dog walker or doggie day care - I swear there is money to be made here!) and you should have your problem resolved quickly enough.