Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Keeping a husky dog happy in a small apartment

86 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I'll try to keep this short, but it seems no one has any suggestions - they all want to bitch. So, I'm trying to get some potentially workable suggestions.

I have a full sized husky who I've had for 4 years. He's a great dog - very smart, and came with me from the states. I had a couple cats there as well, and lived in a house. Mom currently has the 2 cats, and of course, the house got sold when I moved to germany. The dog came with, and now it's me and the husky (I have no car and work 8 hours - gone 10 by the time I do public transport) in the apartment.

Now, I'm living in a 1 bedroom flat, and he's been doing good for the most part. He's adjusted to the apartment, and at the first signs of boredom, I bought a bunch of "busy" toys that you fill with treats so that he can play with them while I'm at work. Eventually, he become disinterested in the busy toys and started eating/tearing up my couch and/or getting into the garbage.

SO... I started putting him in the kennel if I felt like he couldn't behave himself - with toys and/or chewees and so on.

I walk him at least twice a day - once in the morning, and once as soon as I get home - in addition to most nights once before I go to bed.

The problem? Apparently he is crying when I'm not home. I was home all day yesterday and took him out 4 times (2 hours) and let him run off leash for quite some time and praised him. I went out last night (OK SO IT WAS 1 TIME IN 1 WEEK - AND 1 TIME LAST WEEK BUT GENERALLY i'M HOME AT NIGHT) and he was quiet when I left - and happy with things to do. Well, at some point, when I wasn't home, he started crying. (Kinda hard to stop him if I'm not there). Now, my neighbors have called the apartment complex and complained today. In addition, one of my neighbors is threatening to call some bureau saying I'm "cruel" to my dog because he cries and sometimes I put him in the dog kennel (it's hard sided and he can stand up and turn comfortably in it) during the day while I'm gone which is completely acceptable in the states. (Um.. because a baby cries means you're a bad parent too, right?)

I've asked her for suggestions - she has none, and only wants to complain. She can obviously see that I'm trying, but this doesn't seem to matter - she's at home ALL day and chain smokes in her apartment (to the point that even mine stinks like her cigarettes!) and I've offered to pay her to take him out once a day and walk him when she goes out with her own dog. She doesn't want to (oh my back hurts - but whatever) and apparently now has the neighbors yelling to the apartment complex people.

I guess what this boils down to is

a) What should I do? I can't keep him from crying if I'm not there and he starts - but I am trying. (creative solutions anyone?)

B) I know the apartment complex can kick me out - no worries on that because I'm thinking of looking for another place closer to Berlin anyhow - but I'd really rather that doesn't happen. I also know that I'd be annoyed if it were anyone's dog crying too - and that he doesn't cry when I'm home and/or if he starts, I tell him to be quiet. (Hello - he's a dog and a HUSKY - they not only bark but they chatter too!)

c) Does anyone think grabbing one or both of the cats from the states will help him to not feel so alone?

d) Keep in mind I only have another 14 months under contract here in Germany. If it came down to it, I would quit my job and move back stateside if it meant keeping the dog.

~Rose

You could have a look for a dog walker.. you mentioned you would pay your neighbour maybe offer the job to someone on TT. (I would offer but I'm leaving in 2 weeks) Not sure if it helps but thats my suggestion.

Are you going to commute to Berlin to walk the dog sky-hoc?

But I agree, you have to get a dog sitter, not just a walker. 10 hours alone in a one room flat would drive anything with a brain bigger than a pea crazy. That or you have to find a friend who has a yard where he can stay during the week while you are working and then you can take him back on the weekends. I tend to agree with your neighbour that you are being cruel to your dog.

Tell the old bat to mind her $**@#@ Business, and if she persists, teller your calling the cops cause she's harrasing you..

This is a Fav. past time for old German's with nothing better to do...

More great advice from DK there. If the dog is disturbing her then she has every right to complain.

I also agree that you are being cruel to your dog. Huskies are outside animals, and a couple of short walks a day is simply not enough for this type of animal. A few toys won't change the fact that this dog should be racing over the hills, not stuck in a one-bedroom flat in the middle of Berlin.

i know cookie had a problem with her cookie. last i spoke to her, it was working. maybe she'll respond, or pm her. maybe she already posted suggestions elsewehre?

Agree with showem, you're trying, ok, but 1 dog alone in an appartement for 10 h, sorry mate, that's just not good enough. Dogs want to socialize, he wouldn't cry at all if you were there. With his whining and chewing bits of your appartement to pieces he just cries out loud for attention. Find someone who can take care of him, for your own, your dogs and your neighbours sake.

Yet another reason to get cats instead. Much more independent than dogs and less PITA..

I think its cruel as well, and the suggestion of bringing a further 2 animals into your apartment isn't going to help matters..

If you want to keep a dog of that size, you need to get a bigger place..

I don't even think the size of the apartment is the problem. Dogs are social animals and need to regularly interact with humans and other dogs. They also need to urinate and defecate from time to time.

What SmallTownBoy said - huskies are born runners (and diggers). My parent's had one for 15 years and she was a great dog. But, alone in an apartment for more than a few hours is just plain torture for a dog like that. Your best best is to find someone who can take him out for walks or runs once or twice dúring the day (in addition to your morning and night walks). These dogs have amazing amounts of energy and can run and run and run.

And, yes, most Germans would consider what you are doing (leaving him alone for hours and in a kennel) as cruel and I would not be surprised if the old bitties called someone to report you. However, if the dog is crying, than he's a nuisance to your neighbors.

Good luck!!

I will say that I didn't choose my apartment - the company I work for did. So, That's why it's so small. My lease is up in April, and I was already thinking of moving to another (larger) place.

Re the dog, in the states, he was fine - I brought him here because I knew I was moving to a country where I don't speak the language (don't have to for my job) AND wanted something/someone I knew would offer protection and/or intimidation if there was a problem. Kind of that little extra piece of mind.

Considering that I couldn't find a home for him in the states and where I was put the animals to sleep if they were over 5 years (he's 7) automatically - I figured my reasoning for bringing him here was good.

I'm sorry you guys think it's cruel to put him in an apartment. It's said and done, it's not illegal (there are people in the complex with labs and golden retrievers - both the same size) and at this point, I'm asking for suggestions to keep him from crying, NOT being bashed.

Yes, I know it's annoying - I don't like it when dogs bark and/or cry either, and I know that it's not right that he's doing it - that's why I'm trying to keep him entertained. Obviously there MUST be solutions to this problem as others have dogs that are larger *including huskies* in this area.

Yes, I know he has lots of energy - in the summer, I ride my bike and he runs along side. Right now, the weather isn't condusive to doing so...and as a result, I take him up to the fields nearby and let him run there.

I guess I"m at my wits end because I'm trying everything I know, but just don't know what more to do.

~Rose

read the answers carefully: It has been suggested several times that you should find someone to take care of him. This is not bashing, it's a solution to your problem. YOU think it's ok to keep your dog like that, but from what you've written your dog thinks otherwise. Other dogs and owners can not be compared to your dog and you, so what works out for them doesn't have to work for you. The crying is not the problem, it's a symptom of the problem

Kwenga - I wasn't saying that everyone was bashing. But just saying "you're being cruel" doesn't help resolve the problem. I was more directing that toward those who were just doing what my neighbor is - instead of acknowleding that I'm trying (no, I'm not perfect) and offering suggestions other than YOU'RE CRUEL (hello, I had the dog long before I moved here - I think it's cruel to just "ditch him" to random people where he doesn't understand the language) for me isn't an option.

I know and I agree the apartment is small. I also know that he always has had other animals around (and never this problem when they were around) before I moved here.

I think maybe I will offer a dog walking job here on TT - that might be a good idea and worth a try. Any suggestion on wage?

~Rose

I'm asking for suggestions to keep him from crying, NOT being bashed.

He's crying because you're treating him cruelly. A husky does not belong indoors, especially not in a small apartment. The dog needs to be able to go outside regularly and be able to run.

You don't want to hear that? Tough shit. It's clear you're hoping that someone here will sympathise with you and take your side so that you can point to the comment and relieve yourself of the blame of mistreating an animal.

It's not your neighbour's responsibility to care for your dog so quit bitching about the lack of help. Your whining dog is disturbing her peace and you're doing nothing about it.

Grow up. Be responsible. Find a foster home with a large yard for your dog, at least until you've moved somewhere appropriate. And just because others keep large dogs in small apartments doesn't make it right for you to do so. I'd call the Tierschutzverein on all of them.

woof.

You are not going to get any positive suggestions from anybody who knows dogs. It might work with a golden retriever or labrador because they’re lazy, lie around all day dogs. A husky is a cold weather dog designed to spend hours walking on the hills.

You need a garden, or you need to be walking him 3 hours a day. Or having a dog sitter look after him 3 hours a day.

I don’t care whether what you’re doing is legal or not. It is cruel. That’s why he cries. He’s lonely, and he’s not getting enough exercise.

Frankly copping out that work found you the flat is not the point. You wanted the dog, you should have arranged the infrastructure that you could take her of him or not brought him. And you’re not living in inner Detroit. You don’t need a loaded husky for protection.

You didn’t want abuse, only positive suggestions, but there are no positive suggestions. You’re trying to put a square dog into a round hole.

The apartment that I have is on the ground floor - so there is an outside area. The same neighbor that bitches that he cries, bitches if I put him out there - because he "might" do his business. Yet hers goes out there and goes potty too. (rolles eyes)

I really think I may just need to move on that account in addition to the tiny apartment - but I had to wait to put in a notice.

Anyhow, moving back to the question about hiring someone, any idea on what dog walkers get paid?

~Rose