German language courses in Frankfurt

85 posts in this topic

Hi guys - Im a 23 year old Australian girl moving from Stuttgart to Frankfurt next week and will begin my German language course at Inlingua (in the city) From Mon-Fri 900-1230 I will be in German classes over 3 months. This cost me around 1300 euros ( $1700 AUD) and with it, I get a student visa to be able to stay in the country during the course. My boyfriend is German so I'm doing it so I am able to speak better with his family and simply to have the chance to speak to him in his native tongue like he's spoken with me for so many years in English. I am nervous because I find German is confusing but I hope I can pick it up AND maybe meet some great new friends? :)

Thanks Philsta, they did actually reply to me and as you said it is about €800. Not cheap, but I am telling myself it is better to layout time and €800 and come out with better German than only laying out time and €400 but not getting anything from it! Now I just have to see if I do get somethig from the €800 option :blink:

Hi everyone,I can recommend the TANDEM zentrum to learn german. It is a private institute located near the Rodelheim Bahnhof, not as cheap as the VHS but not as expensive as others such as Inlingua or the Goethe institute.http://www.tandem-frankfurt.de/I currently attend there and I have had a positive experience overall.Cheers!

Based on first-hand experience. If you're considering joining a course at Tandem (aka Zentrum für deutsche Sprache und Kultur), make sure you ask who your teacher is going to be before you sign anything. Avoid Christine like the plague!! She's not a qualified teacher at all - I think she does it as a 2nd job. She won't do anything apart from exercises from the coursebook, in the exact same order as the coursebook and often has to check the keys at the back of the book cos she can't figure out the answers herself. She is unable to explain grammar and/or vocabulary.

Seriously, stay away from her! Never had any other teacher at Tandem, but it seems some of them are pretty good.

Hi guys - Im a 23 year old Australian girl moving from Stuttgart to Frankfurt next week and will begin my German language course at Inlingua (in the city) From Mon-Fri 900-1230 I will be in German classes over 3 months. This cost me around 1300 euros ( $1700 AUD) and with it, I get a student visa to be able to stay in the country during the course. My boyfriend is German so I'm doing it so I am able to speak better with his family and simply to have the chance to speak to him in his native tongue like he's spoken with me for so many years in English. I am nervous because I find German is confusing but I hope I can pick it up AND maybe meet some great new friends?

I know where you are coming from, my wife and her family has been dealing with me in english mostly for the past 12 years with my flying back and forth across the pond. But since I finally settle in Frankfurt I have sign up for class at the frankfurt vhs to get my integration and language classes down. I manage to off and on get myself to a A2 level with the limited time I had to use my german software. And while the german grammar is very different for english. It is not as bad as allot of other languages like spanish and italian. And the rules are pretty firm except for the couple of irregular verbs. So like most german things it is very structure and once you learn it. It is easy to remember.

Good luck on your course and have fun.

Started a course at the Goethe Institut, Frankfurt and it's proving to be very good and offers a little more than some other schools:

- all books and required texts are included in the price.

- the school has a well stock library and at the beginning of the course you are shown how to use all the learning materials in the library.

- drinks during breaks are provided free of charge.

The Institut is right opposite the Südbahnhof, in Sachsenhausen and very easy to get to. (There's even a Mcdonalds at the station should you find yourself feeling hungry before class ;) )

Based on first-hand experience. If you're considering joining a course at Tandem (aka Zentrum für deutsche Sprache und Kultur), make sure you ask who your teacher is going to be before you sign anything. Avoid Christine like the plague!! She's not a qualified teacher at all - I think she does it as a 2nd job. She won't do anything apart from exercises from the coursebook, in the exact same order as the coursebook and often has to check the keys at the back of the book cos she can't figure out the answers herself. She is unable to explain grammar and/or vocabulary.

Seriously, stay away from her! Never had any other teacher at Tandem, but it seems some of them are pretty good.

An old topic, but this subject is always important for new coming expats.

I do study at Zentrum myself.

I think for their price (250 and 220 per month - every day 9 to 12:30 or 13:30 - 17:00) they offer quite good content.

Still i do agree with bariboy, that Teacher's factor is VERY important.

I can dearly recommend Marta and Oliver, as they were VERY! good. Unfortunatly i had to stop my studies.

After i returned back to my studies several years later we got Cyril Moog (who is also a good teacher, but not as good as Marta)

and another one, whose name i keep forgetting (i'll add it later).

Th second teacher is probably a good person and a good explanator, but he lacks a system, and during teaching he floats around with explanations and vocabulary.

We also had a replacement teacher by the name Carmen (She is German despite the name) and i STRONGLY recommend to avoid her - she is mean, and quite bad as a teacher.

As for the good news, you can always sing up for trial 1 day studies to understand, whether you feel comfortable with certain teacher, and whether you are ready to continue studying with him/her.

So I haven't been on the website for a while, and just happened upon this topic. Thought I would also give my two cents here.

I also learned German at Zentrum Frankfurt myself, and I am quite satisfied with my time at the school.

The atmosphere is lively, the school also seems to be getting regular paint jobs and makeovers. Students from all over the world can be found there,

and I think every teacher, as far as I can tell, can speak 3-4 languages

Course fees are like mentioned above: 250 for a morning intensive class and 220 for the afternoon course.

I my case, I didn't know any German, and wanted to learn as much as I can in a short period of time, so I opted for the "combi" option,

and stayed at the school for 8 hours a day plus homework.

In 6 months, I achieved the C1 level, and after Zentrum, I had several job interviews, and every time I was told I spoke German like someone

who has lived here for several years. In fact, I suspect my current employer hired me only because he learned that at the time of the interview,

I had only learned German for 6 months

I think this combi option is only available at this school, as far as I am aware of

and because of the combi course, I went through quite a few teachers, and know almost all of the names mentioned above.

I think the comment that the course's quality depends on the teacher is pretty fair, since the school gives the teacher, on top of its standard course plan,

the freedom to design and introduce additional course materials.

Since every teacher has their own teaching style, the course quality is also effected.

Some teachers I would recommend are: Engin, Daniel, Sonja, Alexander, and Rosana

Also, having being in many classes, I've also had all kinds of classmates. So I do have to point out: regardless which school you choose,

course dynamics depend not only on the teacher leading it, but also the students who make up the course

At least while doing an intensive course, avoid speaking your native language in your free time

Do all your homework, and make sure you do your own reading, and listen to German radio while attending the program.

This not only helps you make the most out of your time at your German courses, and you would also be doing your classmates a favour by pushing the class's progress.

I agree with thhvancouver.

The teacher is to teach and help the student, but even under the intensive courses the student is to go beyond his homework.

I can also say, that at the Zentrum the learning experience heavily depends on the teacher, and i've seen the worst (Carmen) luckily only as a replacement.

But generally (not Zentrum related) if you are to go for an intensive daily course, be ready to devote 80% of your time to the courses

As for C1 in 6 months... thhvancouver, can you tell me, how did you manage, as according to my calculations at the Zentrum one can reach on C1 after a year of studies

A1 = 2 months; A2 = 2 months; B1 - 3 months, B2 = 3 months, C1 = 2 months (if i remember correctly)..

Hi,

Is german language course at the Goethe Universitat of Frankfurt good?

thanks

ele

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi All, i just moved to Frankfurt and i need urgently a person or a good place to learn German in a reasonable price. I already have my A2 level so i need to start my B1. Can anyone help me please?

Hi everyone,

I have just started my German course but would like to find other lower level students like myself to take a class. My level would be a1-2, definitely a beginner but not an absolute one. It took me a while to find a school because I wanted to have class at 4 pm on Wednesday as I only work in ffm.

So the school I am at is near Hauptwache and it is 26 Euro per unit for me (one-to-one). I was told that if others joined then it would be around 14 or 15 Euro per unit. It is not exactly about the money for me, rather more like I would like to have others in the class so that I could interact with them, not just with the teacher

Anyway, if anyone is interested in joining me then let me know.

This may be a bit premature, but I'm going into my 3rd week at Tandem/Zentrum in Frankfurt and am finding it quite a pleasant experience. Knowledgeable, energetic, and friendly/accessible teachers, and an overall positive atmosphere. My class alternates between two teachers - both quite good - which sounds like it would be chaotic, but it works out quite well.

I did a month at the Zentrum, was really good, learnt a lot. I did a test before and they found I was at level A1-2 as I had already learnt some German, after the month I got to B1. The teachers alternated between Barbara and John who were both excellent, funny, friendly, motivated and patient. We had about 12 in the class. I really felt my German jump forward, but then I got a job and unfortunately had no time left for the course. The price was very good too for the amount of teaching contact. Combine this with something else like a tandem partner and language tapes and you would learn very quickly. There is homework too, which usually takes about half an hour or so.

Oh, and if you want to meet other people then Zentrum is also very good, there were lots of friendly students there, as well as some social events in the evenings.

Hi all,

Can someone suggest me some good institutes that offer German Intensive course in or near Frankfurt?

My boss offers me three free weeks to improve German, without working in office. I am searching for one intensive course, that I can study every day in week.

Or maybe someone can give me some recommendations to help me to improve my German fast.

Thank you very much for your help in advanced.

Hao Ha

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

There are several threads in this forum you should search for, with details about different courses.

I would recommend private lessons, scheduled at your convenience, and at your level/pace of learning, at A-Viva.

I am looking for a german private tutor to teach me german language.

I know few words but cannot put together a good sentence in german.

The price must be reasonable.

Any recommendation will be highly appreciated. I am based in Frankfurt am Main city.

Elvira.

Please send a message: zigulia@mail.ru

tel/015739875430

Any experience with: http://www.speak-german.net/ ?

They have really affordable prices, especially for some towns (Frankfurt for example).

I'd be grateful for any information!

Maybe something has allready been mentioned before. If it has, then the link will do the trick.

Thanks!

I Registered for a course at the "Aktiv" Sprach Schule near Bockenheim.

They cancelled the course due to lack of participation and didn't even tell me. I only found out when I turned up and no one was there...

Make of that what you will, but it shows a lack of demand for their product, a lack of administration and a lack of customer service.

I myself think the Volkshochschule (VHS)is the best bet. Its not only cheap but good. I only have 2 months of German classes, but I was able to get the German citizenship in 2010 with my German knowledge.

As for the Goethe Institut. It could possibly be the best of the language schools, the problem is the price. Prices are steep there but the quality and focus on the students is there.

Hello,

i'm new to the forum and also kind of new to frankfurt (6 months). I've been trying to make time to post this for some time.

I made a list of the schools that sounded good and i think it might help others in my situation to have a resume.

Here goes:

1. https://www.vhs.frankfurt.de/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-74/90_read-2275/

- it's cheap but 25 people in one class really doesn't sound good. I also have a friend who took it and she doesn't recommend it.

2.http://www.fokussprachen.com/sprachkurse-deutsch-frankfurt.html

- sent an e-mail. they were very ok but it was to far for me.

3.http://www.goethe.de/ins/de/ort/fra/kur/enindex.htm

- everyone says it's the best but way to expensive i think.

4.http://www.inlingua-frankfurt.de/en/german-courses/evening-classes.html#c47729

- i have no feedback here. read somewhere they are ok.

5.http://www.a-viva.net/programs.php

6.http://www.kerntraining.com/en/locations/frankfurt.html

- this is the one i picked. I'm really happy with my choice. they have small classes. we are only two in ours and good teachers. ours also teaches goethe. i first went with them because of the location and because they had a class starting right away.

7.http://www.ak-zente.eu/index_englisch.htm

8.http://www.zentrum-fuer-deutsche-sprache.de/zentrum/pages/z_kurse_preise.html

- heard they also are good but they don't have evening classes and that was what i was looking for.

9.http://www.lahor.eu/

10.http://www.perfectlingua.com/language-courses/german/118#Evening courses

That's all i found.

I also heard about the integration courses as a cheap alternative but haven't tried them.

Hope this helps!