German language courses in Frankfurt

85 posts in this topic

Well I have just signed up for the Beginners German EVENING course starting in the Lehrerkooperative on May 29th. This is three nights a week, 2.5 hours each night, for 11 weeks. All for 435 euro. 5.27 an hour that. Not so bad.

Alas it does clash with curry nights and drinking nights which is a shame :(

So I showed up for my German Course - Beginners at the proper place last night.

The course had been cancelled due to lack of numbers and they decided not to inform me. The next one starts in August but how can they know this will not also happen again.

Awful awful service. So just for the sake of anyone searching this site for German Lessons or posts about German lessons. STAY AWAY FROM LEHRERKOOPERATIVE.

As a contra-post to my ANGRY post above i have just contacted inlingua.de as a replacement and got INSTANT, ELABORATE and HEPLFUL emailed replies. So far I heartily recommend them. Will keep this thread updated with my experiences so future people searching the forum for advice see how i get along.

So far the score is LehrerKoop (-10) to (10) inlingua.de!!!

Hi, I have taken in total aprox. 4 or 5 months of classes at Inlingua, first one month intensive (morning classes) and then the rest intermittent one months episodes of evening classes a couple of times. Their service is good but also quite pricey !! and in a couple of occassions I was made also to wait 'cos the number of participants was not enough for the level in which I was interested. So for a very beginner there should be no problem, but for intermediate levels then... you may face the same situation as with the other school. BTW I rang the Lehrerkooperative at 1 PM today and even that their website said they attend from 10 AM to 2 PM nobody picked up the phone and I was re-directed to a recording :angry:

Does anyone know if you can attend VHS classes as a "tourist"? My partner and I are moving to Berlin next month, and he needs to take German classes, but as we are not legally married, and he will not have a job, he will be a tourist until he does get a job (after learning some German!). I will be working, and am trying to see if I can get him some sort of domestic partner rights. Any help, much appreciated.

Best,

Joe

There appears to be no pre conditions to doing German with them once you pay and you can attend from when a course starts until one ends.

However the VHS and Lehrerkoop are painful in their customer service and reliability. Mail them for information if you like but dont expect a response and if you do get one dont expect the information to be accurate. If they do not get the people for a course then they will cancel it, apparantly without any warning whatsoever.

I am signed up for one starting next week in Inlingua in Frankfurt. Again the course could be cancelled if the numbers do not come, or at least delayed until the numbers come. But they are contacting me every day with information and updates on this which i find very nice.

Anyone out there in frankfurt looking to learn then sign up for this so I can go hehehe. All the information is with me too so message me if you need the documents etc.

Can anyone suggest any german language schools in Frankfurt? Has anyone gone to SpracheCaffe and if so, how was it?

I was supposed to go to the Goethe Institute however they told me to go in the week before the course starts and register. Now they are telling me the course is full! I'm very upset and feeling mislead by them

Berlitz doesn't have any courses for beginners starting until the end of August and I wanted to start something soon. Also, I'm pregnant and need to take lessons now while I still can

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Topics merged by admin

i have been taking a Mittelstufe German course at Lehrerkooperative since early May.

It is true that they are not the best at customer service. It is also not as 'posh' as well-known language schools as as Berlitz - I mean some students at Lehrerkooperative seem to be foreigners living on social benefit and when I went there for the first time in a hectic afternoon in their office, I felt like as if I were in an asylum centre. However, the teachers at Lehrerkooperative are not bad. If you are lucky, you even get to be taught by some really enthusiastic and experienced linguists.

I picked the school for its price and location but I must admit that I was terribly unhappy with it in the beginning. Somehow I got used to it and i will continue to study there. Just want to remind anyone who is interested in taking a course there: don't expect too much so you won't be disappointed!

I am doing a complete beginners course at the moment in Inlingia.

It is 150 a month, for 2 90 minutes classes a week. This is Tuesday and Thursday at 7pm to 830pm.

The course is 5 classes into it, so you have missed 5 classes, however one person only joined in class three. And because we had a temp teacher for the first few classes you havent missed much. Id be more than happy to sit back an hour after your first class or two to cover the little you have missed and maybe a tiny bit extra.

If all this is of interest PM me here for my email address and I will send to your email the full and very complete details of the course that I was sent and then I will tell you how to join up. They would be more than happy for you to join at this stage.

All going well I will see you next Tuesday for your first class :)

Hello,

I am a Californian looking to move to Frankfurt for a short term period of 6 months. I heard that it is nearly impossible to find work in Germany if you don't speak a lick of German, so I figured my best bet was to enroll in a language school and try to find part time work. Quite honestly, I'm willing to work anywhere...it really doesn't matter. I have a moderate amount of savings that can carry me though the six months, but i'm looking to find the best possible language education without breaking the bank. I looked at ILS and Sprachcaffe so far, but my impressions have been limited to what's available on their website. Can anyone offer any opinions about these schools? What are some of my other options out there? Are there any websites that may help me find direction in finding ANY work for a lost girl from San Francisco with ZERO command of the German language?

Please help!!! :)

Topics merged by admin

Inlinguia is where i am learning it right now. They have a school about 10 mins walk from the main train station.

They have a "full time" course which is 5 days a week at 395 euro a month. The class runs from 910 to 1230, leaving you free for your part time work from 1 onwards each day!

There is also an afternoon options, 3 days a week from 340 to 510. at 230 euro a month.

Out of all that i think you have a few options. Also I find them INCREDIBLY helpful with information, in english, when you email them so drop them a line for any more information. frankfurt@inlingua.de

Stay away from, at all costs, the Volkschule. They cancelled the class i was enrolled in, without telling me, and i showed up to find no class was on. The never returned any of my calls or emails after this. Awful awful service. I am VERY happy with inlinguia so far.

hello

I have been going to my local Volkshochschule which has been a great help - checked there is also one in Frankfurt -www.vhs.frankfurt.de - lessons are really good and very well priced (courses usually run over a 6 month period -in mornings so I am not sure if the timing will be right fo you but I think they also offer evening classes)

Hope it helps Good Luck and enjoy your stay..

The Goethe Institut offers a four-week superintensiv course for c. 900 euros, which can be written off against your taxes.

This did more for my German in a month than six months of incredibly expensive Berlitz financed by my company in the U.S. ... not to mention years of marriage to a native speaker.

Hi,

I can highly recommend the language school I go to which is A-viva. Below is their contact details:

A-viva Culture and Language Center

Rotlintstrasse 64

Frankfurt 60316

069 943 409 63

info@a-viva.net

www.a-viva.net

Hope this helps

Cheers

Diana

So as you can see in post #22 above I was treated pretty badly by LK in a german course and I was unable to find out any more information because they never answered their phone.

It is the 1st November today and I have just received a letter saying I have not paid for my course *which never actually happened* and could I please pay them 435euro.

As usual any attempt to reach them by phone has failed.

Just reiterating my warning to anyone searching TT for info on language courses, stay well away from the Lehrerkooperative!

Send them a letter by recorded delivery stating that the course didn't take place and refusing to pay. Will cover your back in case they decide to take further action. You didn't sign anything with them did you?

Hi all,

Sorry to be but another "newbie" on the scene asking the same questions. I will be spending 2 months in Germany from June - Aug next year and want to cram as much German in as possible. I am an absolute beginner regarding the language who will also need to find child care for my 5 year old so I can make it all happen. I did read most of the previous posts and am most curious as to what I can expect to learn (or better stated, how well will I be able to speak) after just a month. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi everyone

Looking for some info.

I am moving to Hattersheim in July.

I am looking for a good language school for an Intensive German course on the month of July.

Many thanks

Hakima

Topics merged by admin