German language courses in Frankfurt

85 posts in this topic

Would appreciate comments on quality of the following language schools in Frankfurt (cost is not an issue), their strengths and weaknesses:

Goethe Institut

Fokus Sprachen

Berlitz

Thanks.

Thanks. I have actually narrowed it down to these 3 because well, my friends have been to Berlitz; However, I prefer Goethe & Fokus as they are nearer to where I live, ie Sachsenhausen. I'm leaning more towards Fokus as it is just a minute walk from my house, a major plus factor when winter sets in, especially as I will be dropping off my child in the kindergarten before classes and picking him up after. However, if Goethe or Berlitz is significantly more effective, then I would sacrifice proximity for quality.

Well Rebecca (imhere4beer) will be able to comment more on Berlitz as she works for them! I would personally rate them as the last choice (nothing to do with Rebecca at all though!)

I did a German course at the Goethe Institute in Bremen many years ago and the standard was way above any other German course I have done but mind you so was the price.

If I had the choice and money was not a problem then I would go for the Goethe Institute but having said that I also think it can be pot luck with language teachers some can be very good and some very bad it does not always matter which school they work for. If Fokus is easier for you then give them a go. I think you can sit in on a lesson for free if you are not a beginner I know with most schools you can.

A lot depends on the teacher and the most expensive schools often have higher overheads and pay their teachers less. It doesn't follow that the high profile schools are employing the best people but, that said, Goethe Institute has a good reputation throughout Gemany.

You will know after a few lessons if the teacher and class are right for you. My advice is don't sign up for a long course until you are sure of this and be prepared to change schools if necessary. You could try doing a 'Probestunde' at all 3.

I'm a bit of language school junkie ...

Thumbs down for FOKUS!! What I learned in 3 months at Fokus, I learned in 1 week at Goethe (lmao - die, der, das etc). But Rebecca "hit the nail", it really depends on the teacher ...

If money isn't an issue - go the Goethe route!!!

Thanks for all the inputs so far. Yikes,...I was hoping Fokus was good, now I will probably take the advice of sitting in for a trial class to compare Fokus and Goethe. I've mentally ticked Berlitz off, thanks PurpleMuffin.

hi,

i work for both fokus and berlitz. as far as teachers go, berlitz doesn't require you to have any experience or even the regular minimum qualfications. they'll take you so long as you're a native speaker and have a pulse. they pay much lower than the other schools, so consequently they (generally) have teachers who can't find better paying work.

fokus i could recommend as more professionally run. but as rebecca mentioned, the teacher is an all-important element. and wherever you go, you can find a teacher whose style is good for you - or not. my husband had a 2 week intensive course with berlitz when we got here and, although i've just rubbished them, he actually learned an enormous amount in those 80 hours.

berlitz and fokus are businesses. as i understand it, the goethe institute is a non-profit foundation which promotes german language and culture. i've heard good things about them, and if price wasn't an issue, i'd be going there, i think (but since price is an issue for me, i'm at the local vhs!).

good luck,

monkel

Hi all

My German girlfriend has been offered a transfer to Frankfurt. We currently live in Dublin, Ireland. Anyway my German is pretty basic and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good German courses in Frankfurt. I would be looking something that went on for a few months at least, hopefully full-time. I know the job situation in Germany is awful at the moment so it must be impossible for people with limited German, so if I'm going to give it a go over there I want to get to grips with the language ASAP. I found a couple on the internet but most of them seemed to be UK based companies that send students to cities in Germany and costed an absolute fortune, 3000 for 2 months etc. I don't know maybe that's the standard but I was hoping for something cheaper.

Well thanks for any help you may give me and for reading this!

Fitz

The cheapest way I know is through the volkshochschule. I have been here 3 years and am doing a course level B1. If you know some basics then you would probably want to start at level A2 (levels go: A1,A2,B1,B2,C1,C2) Courses are about €210 per level which gives about 200 hours lessons

You can check it out at VHS Frankfurt

They also offer assessments where you can turn up and they will advise you which course to do.

Private companies eg berlitz are alot more expensive.

Good luck Frankfurt must be one of the worst towns to learn German..it is so international that when I asked the guy sweeping the road what time it was in my best german he repleid.

"Oh, it's about 3 O'Clock"

As for courses, forget most private schools they are terribly expensives. If you can do a full-time intensive school think about the Volkhochschule (Adult Education) they are dirt cheap the quality can vary but for the price it is worth it...there are 3 hrs a day course and stuff.

The other one would be the Goethe Institute... Finally, my advice is switch your language with your girlfriend to german..if not full-time start off with one day in the week...it takes committment to learn a language...

Good luck...

PS. Berlitz are expensive shit..says an X-Berltz teacher and pupil..

Yes, Berlitz is just a good adress. (-> It´s in the central of Frankfurt...)

Many friends of mine learnt German at Berlitz. Now I can talk to them in German, and not only in English... ;)

thanks for the replies lads. Yes I checked out goethe and it's pricey enough, I wonder if they're any good. The VHS thing is cheap enough but of course I can't read the website too well!! I'll get herself to check it out later. You're right, I should speak to her in German more but for some reason I feel more self-conscious about it with her than with strangers, I don't have a problem trying to speak with people I don't know in Germany...

@Fitzyfitz Matey,

You will have to change the conscioius to speak to her in German..since she is your best chance (and want will happen if you decide to settle down in Germany). Especially as she can't easily run away can she? And you will spend many more hours together than you would with strangers...

Seriously the correlation between learning and language and speaking it to your partner must be the strongest and most effecient...so I'd recommend it... Start of slow one day a week...

Says Stanford who switched the language with his now wife...and speaks good German but had a shitty Spanish x-girlfriend who refused to speak Spanish with him so his spanish is iffy!!! She was a right bitch as well...that is the Spanish X not my wife!!! :o

Just to bash Berlitz a little bit...

The Berlitz method is to teach a language like a child would learn i.e. hearing and repeating etc

However the big problems is that Adults are not like children and their brains have already developed many of the language connections.. So coupled with a complicated language like German (declinations and cases) it in IMHO is not the best method for getting past anything but the basics...BUT

if Berlitz floats your boat so be it...

Stanford a lover of grammar...

Apart from the VHS and Goethe, you could also consider the Lehrerkooperative. As far as it goes (*), Goethe has the reputation of being the best school.

HTH.

(*) As far as it goes, in that some people just don't learn well in a taught classroom situation, so even going to the best school isn't going to help.

hi. Well I don't know if you know what pimsleur is but I did all 50 hours of that and I learned a hell of a lot from it. I suppose I'm at the stage where I understand most of the grammer and language structure, but it's the vocabulary that I lack, and when I ask something, understanding responses can be tricky too if they don't realise I'm an ausslander. Anyway I'll check out the links, thanks.

@Fitzyfitz,

Sounds like you've got motivation..so I suggest the next stage for you as a German Jedi Knight...

1. Watching DVDs in German with subtitles (your favourite series)...

2. And if you are feeling brave wading thru (I say wading) thru german newspapers (fucking difficulting and they have such a boring style).

3. With Spanish Newspaper it took me 3 to 6 months to learn to read them but with German it is still 2 years later and I'm still struggling...

4. Anyhow, If you can't handle the wordy German newspapers go and get yourself a childrens book aged 4 to 9 like Alice im Wunderland!!!

Best of Luck

I work at Arenalingua, and although its a good school it is very expensive!

I would also advise you to go to the VHS, Unless you want to be tutored for a cheaper price by a couple of people I know.