Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

German Saunas - Ever been to the Sauna here?

60 posts in this topic

Its a wonderful feeling. Naked as nature intended and sitting in a small wooden box while the extreme heat sweats all the nasty bits out of your skin. It's healthy, it's relaxing, it's a place where you can legally walk around bollock naked looking at nude women. Far removed from the sterile reality of an English sauna!

But is it just a pervs paradise or simply a different culture where men and women can walk around without inhibitions?

Have you ever used a sauna here? And how did that feel for the first time? And have you ever encountered anyone you knew whilst in the buff?

I actually worked in a sauna for a year when I first moved here. Not that kind of sauna, a straight and narrow one with swimming pool and medical massage practice in a 4 star hotel.

It was strange at first, because people would hear my obviously non-native German and start talking to me, asking me where I was from, etc etc. They would stand there completely naked, holding conversation like they were wearing a 3-piece suit. At first I kept thinking, "Eye contact! Don't look anywhere except the eyes!" Then, after a couple of weeks, it got fairly blase and it was no big deal if your glance strayed. Staring, pointing and giggling is still out though.

I've been in the sauna with friends, both male and female and it's actually a very non-sexual event.

@bettyboo:

That was going to be my next question. As I have become addicted to Sauna's while in Germany (I find it THE de-stress tool for the modern man) I want some recommendations about saunas in Munich. I am there for a couple of days in October and it would be nice to see if this town is any better than where I live now.

Mind you, the best one I have visited was in a Kuhr town (spelling - yuch) in the black forest and second best would be the Centre Parks in Northern Germany, although this was packed. I think it may be difficult for this to be beaten.

@Showum:

I agree with the Non-Sexual nature of saunas, although I have never been there with any female friends. I once accidentally ran into a German secretary from my firm (who I knew very well) at a local sauna and she was really cool about it. Although she did changes jobs and move towns shortly afterwards!!! But I am sure that the two events were unconected!

I have seen exceptions to the "non-sexual" rule and this has nearly always been when the sauna is men only. On these days the showers feel like a meat rack (with me hanging from it) and the quite room is a no-go area! Stuff going on in there to make the hair curl.

i wear glasses, but purposely leave them in the locker room 'cause i figure, what i can't see won't hurt me. that means i also can't see who is staring at me which was my experience in the dante-bad once. i think i went on gay day or something. there were lots of men with glittering ornaments on their privates. maybe they were wondering what i was doing there.

No glittering ornaments on my day in a Men only sauna and I don't wear glasses so the only way I can avoid looking is by closing my eyes and finding my way around by touch.

Not a terribly good idea considering the scenario.

But the Volksbad sounds like its worth a look. Just read up on the history of the place (yes I know, I am a nerd) and if I am going to use a sauna in Munich, it may as well be an historical one (as opposed to an hysterical one - thats a sort of word play joke on the word Gay... Yeah I know, but that's my humour level for you).

The thing is, a gay friend of mine goes to the same sauna too and he says it is out of order when regular saunas are used this way, espically as there are special gay saunas that cater for this type of customer. You can see his point.

So, I think that Tuesday afternoon I will make a visit to the Volks (assuming it is Gemischt) and check it out, as opposed to being checked out. I mean honestly I have an awful body and an ugly face, surely these German men can't be that desperate for a shag. If so, I am obviously waisting hidden talents and should perhaps peruse an alternative career.

It can't be anymore of a pain in the arse than what I do now.

Can it?

Yeah I have no real objection to sharing, I don't even mind if they want to do the gay thing...

But thanks for the tip Koala... Whats the next best place then?

Shatter - Nordbad is probably your second best option (ladies day is Wednesday there!)

As for you Aquatic - if you really fancy watching the outside of the Volksbad on Tuesday - then you are quite welcome to. If you're lucky you might spot some nicely steamed and relaxed women exiting the place.

Sounds a bit sad really. Standing outside the Bad in the (probable) rain waiting to see fully clothed women exiting a sauna.

Still, after a few Octoberfest beers who can tell what I will and wont be up for...

But Nordbad sounds nice. Is there a U-Bahn or Stassenbahn near to this place?

Sorry this thread went off subject there. My fault for allowing myself to be distracted by jake in another thread (reference to crafty butcher if you didn't understand my last post).

Anyway, the idea of this thread is a semi serrious probe into what us non-germans think about taking a sauna sans swiming costumes.

I personaly found it easy to adapt, although I still find it unnerving when a group of women come into the same sauna cabin as me giving the customery curt nod and "abend" (does this bug me in doctors waiting rooms or what).

So, back on topic again. What does the group think about going naked in front of strangers and then sitting shoulder to shoulder in a sweat box?

Would you do it, or do you find the idea so weird that you wonder about others who do the same?

When I go back to the uk, this is often a big talking point. Friends seem to imagine that being nude in a mixed sauna is an automatic starter for some kind of sweaty orgy. The americans seem very much the same. Nudity = sex. And yet the reality is very much different. It is impossible to get turned on in these places as there is no intemacy and a complete lack of overt sexuality.

Or am I just reading this wrong?

I got used to it pretty quickly; although my first visit to the sauna was a shocker. Walked in with the swim trunks on and gasped to see that it was nude (not so surprising); and mixed gender (very surprising).

Now that the initial shock is gone it's a pretty blasé situation. Although I've seen women I thought were attractive, it's not a sexually charged atmosphere, really.

Completely naked people sitting and sweating and minding their own business is not a turn-on; certainly nowhere near that of a fully clothed member of the opposite sex whispering dirty fantasies in one's ear.

By far the most disturbing thing I've found about the saunas here is the minimum age requirement. 16 years? Ouch! That really smacks a bit past the limit of my american puritanism.

I almost certainly would find it a little discomforting to discuss German saunas back home, where mixed gender, nude sweating is not nearly as common; and hard to explain to most people.

Finally, Therme Erding has some excellent sauna facilities, if you feel like driving 40 minutes outside of town.

Well I can't remember ever having been to a public sauna in the UK.

I thought I'd be clever and let myself in gently by opting for a womens only day the first time I went to a sauna here. But as I walked in I realised it was mixed, at which point having paid my pennies it was too late to change my mind. To be honest, it doesn't bother me in the slightest and apart from the intial apprehension it never has done, although if I'm going mixed I do prefer to take someone with me.

Hadn't realised that there was an age limit in sauna's. When I stay at hotels such as the Movenpick I always seem to be unlucky enough to turn up when a family with their noisy children are in there. In the black forest last week there was a women in her 30's with her son who was about eight years old. I raised an automatic "pre-trained" English eyebrow to this, but on reflection is there anything wrong with a mother and her young son sharing a sauna?

I guess in the UK something like this would make the front page of the sun, yet here it is more relaxed. In fact families here seem to me to be more relaxed, yeah sure there are still screaming kids down at the checkout but the overall feeling is that the Germans seem to have a more together feeling for family life.

Perhaps this is due to the shops not opening on Sundays, this forces people to be something other than consumers for at least one day in the week! I do hope this Sunday closing is one aspect of Germany that never changes.

But back on topic again, the first time I went to a German sauna was with young lady I was romantically perusing. I knew we would be nude, but I naively thought we would actually be using separate sauna cabins and/or showering areas. This sad oversight in detailed research on my behalf were not meant that she got to see me naked before I had got her into bed. Never a good idea with my body.

Sadly the romance never came to anything.

Let this be a warning to any pot bellied man out there that thinks he can use the sauna as a short cut to a shagsville!

i guess my experience is about the same as all others here, i was too shocked at first when it came to the mixed sauna thing, but that wore off after a few times & i was always w/ my bf & he just kept me calm. no not like that! still i will not go in w/ customers or male collegues, even those w/ whom i call friends. you all?

but if i see a sauna is full & i have to really touch shoulders w/ a stranger, then i turn right around. it really sucks when no one else thinks of that. one time a german dude came in and squeezed right into a small space next to me (this only happened in munich). i just stared at him, said very loudly, "this isn't very cozy" and left. my bf was w/ me and he said very loudly too that even a bit of private space should be respected.

I think it is a bit strange to go to a sauna with a friend. My first sauna was the VERY GOOD Baden Baden Roman Bath in the Black Forrest. I went for the day with an old friend that was visiting. Although I've known my friend for 6 plus years, and we weren't necessarily uncomfortable, it didn't suit me as a friend thing to do. I think I like my quiet, relaxation time to also be alone time.

Anyhow, that's my sound bite. If anyone is ever near Baden Baden, you should definitely go to the Roman Baths. And pay the little bit extra for the massage. It comes complete with a little spank at the end. Plan 3 hours so that when they finally wrap you in a warm blanket, you feel free to take a little nap. Absolute bliss.

Hazza, you should know by now that in Germany if it's not on the menu of prices, you can't get it. No flexibility. There are two prices at the Baths: with and without massage. If you want a side of spanking, you'll just have to go some place else for that. Maybe at the O'Fest coming up?

btw, the bath that bee is talking about is called the friedrichsbad and on certain days it is only mixed in one area. the first 10 stations or so are separate, but it is worth it to come together (no pun intended there) in the big bath. it's just gorgeous. oh, 3 hours is about 20 Euro w/out spank.