UK flight disruptions due to fog

158 posts in this topic

Airlines don't do freak of nature rerouting claims. The insurance might. Keep good records and all your receipts.

BA have said in the newspapers that they will be paying compensation. My insurance is through BA anyway.

When I came into chicago I went directly the ticket desk and asked about the luggage and blah blah. When that was all done I asked how much money they were going to give me to make up for the fact that I only had the cloths that I had on me. The only thing she could give me was a fifty dollar emergency compensation visa and told me to keep all the receipts of what I purchased I could potentially claim that through the local ba office in bremen. I was rather pushy about getting some cash immediately.

guess I should have been pushy. At the time there were so many people just losing it at the BA staff that I felt sorry for them and was nice and smiled and said thankyou when it came to my turn. Felt they were only doing their job and didn't deserve my bile.

@BTC I agree it would have been rather bad form to agress the staff over missing baggage, when other people has been camping in the airport for 2 days, and were wondering if they'de get home at all. Plus you can't really blame BA for the safety measures introduced due to weather conditions.

in fairness, I had also been delayed two days and most of the people in my queue were only doing single shorthaul flights in the UK. I was very much more inconvenienced than most of them. But I was so tired and all my energy had been sapped out so anger just didn't seem appropriate.

Anger doesn't work, but an 18mo old child crying does. After being told for 6 hours that we were on the next flight for the fourth time (three canceled and the fourth was another 4 hours away from taking off) and being run all over Hartsfield and seeing as how we were already underway for more than 24hrs, I parked my screaming son right next to the flight attendants who told us that they couldn't give us any more info. Five minutes later, we had confirmed seats, confirmed plane that was actually going to fly and any other info that we cared to have. Oh will the wonders of children never cease to amaze me. :D

I've had luggage delayed before. The airline is ONLY liable to a maximum of $20 per kilo for lost, delayed or damaged baggage. I was told that "because I was an economy class passenger" I wasn't eligible for compensation. BULLSHIT, $20 per kilo, don't let them tell you anything else. Unfortunately this doesn't cover most people for the worth of the contents but you are due that much at least from the airline. I've been out & bought a load of clothes today & they will be getting the bill whether they like it or not. Yabba dabba

Just thought I'd share our Heathrow story- we are living in Windsor now (if you don't know, it's about 10 min drive from Heathrow) and were supposed to fly Friday to DUS (visiting the in-laws) on a BMI flight operated by Lufthansa. weird thing is that the same 2 flights on Thursday took off, no problem. When we checked Fri morning, they were cancelled (ours at 2:45 and the later one). Naturally there were no other openings on any other flights Friday or Saturday going from any London airport to either DUS or Cologne. Luckily my hubby found us a flight to Amsterdam instead, with the idea that we'd just get a rental and drive. (with a baby and a toddler that equals= tons of crap to have to fit into a car) We took our cab to Heathrow, only to find that our sched flight (8pm) had been delayed, and delayed, and delayed. We didn't actually take off until after midnight, so of course with the car rental closed at Amsterdam at 11pm, my BIL & FIL had to drive to come get us. (about an hour & a half away). We were sooo lucky though, I really feel for the people who were stranded at Heathrow for days, or those of you who's luggage is lost. (rather strange in light of the fact that they've had so fewer flights to actually put luggage onto!) Well, alls well that ends well. Hope everyone gets where they need to go, somehow, and has a Merry Christmas!

Write at least five letters today while you are still mad. Adjust per their responses, but send at least one every 5-6 weeks. Keep writing until you are satisfied. A friend of mine did this for nearly two years because the airline broke a 30yo cheap ass fishing rod that happened to be his favorite of all times. Eventually, the airline just asked what would make them happy? They got two free round trip tickets to Hawaii.

weird thing is that the same 2 flights on Thursday took off, no problem.

Sounds like my Hartsfield experience. I am sure they diverted our planes to other flights with fuller passenger lists. They seem to do this often with the ATL to TYS route and simply claim some malfunction regardless of the weather. During my 30+ hour ordeal, we watched plane after plane land and take-off. The freaking storm lasted only a couple of hours. <_<

My flight didn't run so smoothly.. started off with a 45 minute delay to Manchester, then on the other end we had to wait for our luggage. And wait. And wait. For 1 hour 20 minutes. With no seats, no cafe, nothing, not to mention no information on what was happening (they started announcing after 20 minutes 'delays of 10-15 mins'.. and 15 mins later the same announcement, etc). Felt sorry for those with babies and toddlers. I just sat on the luggage trolley, some ppl on the floor. Finally made it home around 1am. Globeground baggage handlers are a load of shite.

This thread really makes me happy I stayed at home.

@BTC I agree it would have been rather bad form to agress the staff over missing baggage, when other people has been camping in the airport for 2 days, and were wondering if they'de get home at all. Plus you can't really blame BA for the safety measures introduced due to weather conditions.

actually I wasn't pissy or sour and I actually got a thanks from the girl behind the desk for being so nice and patient with her. I usually get more with niceness than being mean.

Globeground baggage handlers are a load of shite.

to be fair to them, they are handling unprecedented levels of lost luggage (over 10,000 items I was told today) and handling customers delayed a considerably longer time than your derisory 2 hours.

to be fair to them, they are handling unprecedented levels of lost luggage (over 10,000 items I was told today) and handling customers delayed a considerably longer time than your derisory 2 hours.

BtC - it was 11pm at night.. there was no one about in our terminal. 1 flight arrived before ours, the other flight after us. They didn't have to wait 1 hour 20 minutes, they were gone within the normal time. I don't see what lost luggage in other airports has to do with their normal operations. They just had to bring bags from the airplane to the terminal.. the least they could've done was give us information though!

And if they're dealing with 10000 lost suitcases, doesn't that prove that their shite in the first place?

no, it proves this is an unprecedented situation. Your attitude smacks of the little hitlers yelling at helpless BA staff at Gatwick while I was waiting to rebook my flight. Most of them had only been mildly inconvenienced while others of us in the queue had lost our luggage and hadn't slept for two days. It wasn't the BA staff's fault my flights had been cancelled and nor is it the baggage handlers fault that I have no luggage at all. Ifyou want to point a finger at someone point it at BAA for their chronic mishandling of both the August problem and now this fog.

FYI BTC, Manchester Airport is not a BAA Airport.

Just as an aside, do you not think accusing UA of being a little Hitler from one post is a little harsh, from someone who promotes the values of tolerance and understanding ? :huh:

My flight to Southampton was cancelled, and FlyBe don't have representatives in Germany so they were not at all helpful, therefore I cut my losses and flew back to Birmingham instead with BA as there was no other alternative! Parents then had to make the drive up north so to speak to come get me, not fun!

do you not think accusing UA of being a little Hitler from one post is a little harsh

I wasn't actually accusing him but fair enough, it was a little harsh.

Just seemed at Heathrow and Gatwick that a lot of people were lashing out at very junior staff among security, customer service and baggage reclaim. None of these people were actually responsible for the flight cancellations and are paid considerably less than the people who are - and yet they were bearing the brunt of public anger. Seemed a little unfair.