UK flight disruptions due to fog

158 posts in this topic

if I get the train tomorrow ...

well, if you do, I do hope it's not the "wrong kind of fog" (always remember British Rail having massive delays one winter due to the "wrong kind of snow" having fallen)

Just got back from MUC.. They are still reporting all flights into/out of LHR

as canceled. So to those who are on a BA/LHR flight Good luck in getting to your dest.

Could be worse, folks. You could be trying to get out of Denver:

Some people could be stuck at Denver International Airport for days, sleeping on cots while forecasts call for 20 inches of snow, said airport spokesman Chuck Cannon. More than 1,000 flights were canceled through today.

Why would all these people be sleeping at the airport? Because the airport is in the middle of nowhere, and there's only one road going to the airport and no trains or public transport other than surface buses. When the airport is closed, the road is usually closed, too. :(

Listening to the news was interesting. They aren't even letting people in the terminals to a certain extent - they are in tents outside the terminal. So many people were logging onto the BAA website it crashed, but probably each airport has its own website so you can look there. Heathrow certainly does: www.heathrow.com

BA Flights tomorrow going to be affected too. And BMI starting to list cancelled flights for tomorrow as well

Friday 22 December:

British Airways will be operating a reduced shorthaul flying schedule on Friday 22 December as a consequence of the fog and continued Air Traffic Control restrictions in the number of arrivals and departures at London Heathrow.

Customers due to travel are advised to check the status of their flight before they leave for the airport. To access our real time flight arrival and departure information please click here.

British Airways is doing all it can to assist customers.

British Airways is working closely with BAA at London Heathrow and National Air Traffic Services due to the restricted number of flights which will be able to operate at the airport on both Thursday 21 December and Friday 22 December as a result of the severe fog.

Customers should NOT travel to the airport if travelling on one of the cancelled flights.

The cancellations are due to severe fog, which has led to Air Traffic Control significantly reducing the number of flights can land and take-off each hour at London Heathrow.

At this stage it is anticipated that the airport will only be able to manage around 50 per cent of the normal landings and take-off rates throughout Thursday 21 December.

So far for Friday 22 December, the airline has cancelled around 100 shorthaul flights, including all UK domestic flights and some European services to and from London Heathrow. Further cancellations may be necessary.

Customers due to travel are advised to check the status of their flight before they leave for the airport. To access our real time flight arrival and departure information please click here.

A full longhaul programme of around 140 longhaul services to and from Heathrow and London Gatwick is planned to operate as normal, albeit with some delays but due to the severe fog some of its shorthaul flying schedule at Gatwick will be cancelled on Friday 22 December.

The fog is likely to remain over south east England for the next 48 hours and will also impact British Airways’ operations at London Gatwick as well as London Heathrow.

Not all BA Heathrow flights have been cancelled.best to check the airport's website as Showem says for up-to-date information.

well the flight was cancelled and I was sent back to check in where I joined an ever growing queu of people who had failed to get any flights. Once I had eventually got to the front they said there would be no internal UK flights today, and even if there were tomorrow, there were now so many people stranded that they would not be able to get me ona flight til boxing day. So I opted to take a train instead and have been told that I will not get the cost of train ticket refunded. Anyway, am home in North Berwick now, thank god.

On the BA help page it says that all domestic flights are cancelled from Heathrow on the 22nd, however on the departures page (which they update every minute) it still show certain flights including mine are scheduled to fly.

I just called them up about my flight tomorrow including a domestic leg from Heathrow to Glasgow and they said there are no problems and it's going ahead as normal, even though the help page says All domestic flights are cancelled.

It's really annoying that even BA themselves can't tell you if a flight is cancelled or not with 2 pages telling you completely the opposite thing, and you can't make any alternative arrangements until they say it is cancelled.

I wouldn't mind if it was cancelled just as long as I actually knew it was cancelled, so I could organise something else, but as far as they are concerned there are no problems tomorrow even with the domestic leg.

Well I cancelled my plans to drive, and didn't book a flight. Which makes me really glad. I'd probably be flying, or of course not flying through London.

Maybe there should be a party for people stranded in Munich?

am home in North Berwick now

lovely place with good old Bass Rock. Glad you made it btc

warning: what the website and the boards at Gatwick and Heathrow show is often just an aspiration. My flight was shown boarding so I went to the gate before they told me it had been cancelled along with all domestic flights in the UK until Saturday. But when I went back to check in they were still showing domestic flights on the boards.

priority is being given to long haul and the pressure on flight slots increases as the day goes on. People should also realise that in the next few days the skies over Europe are scheduled to be at full capacity - so there really is nowhere to put delayed and displaced passengers at all until after Xmas eve

Katrina, Grinner, and Koala are currently camped at Munich Airport.

So Brum and Manchester are fog-bound too :(

Just spoken to my father and he reckons that it is not only pretty damn foggy, it's also pretty damn stable fog so it ain't going to dissipate any time soon :angry:

Glad you made it back BTC. Here's hoping that everyone else finds a way to get back in time for the festivities.