Customs charges on gifts sent from abroad

182 posts in this topic

I once had vitamins sent from the US and when they got to customs in Berlin I was told I couldn't have them. My choice was to have them sent back or have them destroyed. You may or may not get to keep them.

Whether you'd pay taxes on them I don't know. I think packages under 40 or 50 USD are okay. I tell my mom not to make the contents worth more than 40 USD.

I once had vitamins sent from the US and when they got to customs in Berlin I was told I couldn't have them. My choice was to have them sent back or have them destroyed. You may or may not get to keep them.

Whether you'd pay taxes on them I don't know. I think packages under 40 or 50 USD are okay. I tell my mom not to make the contents worth more than 40 USD.

Wow, thanks for the info would be terrible to have them arrive and then can't have them, why are Germans so anial..they charge a furtune for there vitamins and in the US they are a good price.
What sort of vitamins where they,  i am only ordering Mag, C,E,etc nothing with steriod in them

I'm not quite sure exactly what I had ordered, but they were from Nature's Sunshine. I just had them sent back to my mom since she had tried to send them. You could try. Maybe your area isn't so picky. I have really only had problems with customs in Berlin.

I'm not quite sure exactly what I had ordered, but they were from Nature's Sunshine. I just had them sent back to my mom since she had tried to send them. You could try. Maybe your area isn't so picky. I have really only had problems with customs in Berlin.

Thanks JN, i have found the email from Custom's and i will email them and ask then I have it in writting from them.
really can't see why there would be a problem, Thanks have a nice weekend

Most items purchased from outside EU may be subject to all taxes and duties. They may also open package and check online if correct value has been declared ( reliable source here!)   I am very wary of ordering  supplements online.  I have read several research studies of quality of some of these, and  they may be cheaper, but not always the  posted ingredients.

Wow, crazy JN.  My mom also sent me vitamins once (also to Berlin), but they let me take them home with no problems.  I guess it all depends on who you get that day at the Zollamt.  It was Vitamin A if that makes any difference.

I think I read that it depends on the amount of the component in one pill. If it's higher than the recommended daily intake it is considered medicine.

If somebody wants to complain about these laws, there are other countries that don't allow the import of kinder eggs.

However, I don't understand why people need vitamin pills. We are not on the Bounty or on one of captain Cooks ships.

Hello,

So apparently there is a tax for gift exceeding 45 euros. What I would like to know is if this tax apply to items being sent outside EU or if it also applies to items being sent within EU?

My family has to send me a package (within EU) with various stuffs I need but I am afraid I might have to pay taxes.

Thanks you!

35 minutes ago, bibiphoque said:

... if it also applies to items being sent within EU?

No. There are no import taxes nor custom duties within the EU.

43 minutes ago, bibiphoque said:

My family has to send me a package (within EU) with various stuffs I need but I am afraid I might have to pay taxes.

Within the EU you pay taxes on coffee and alcohol (except wine). Import of tobacco from other EU countries by mail is forbidden.

Everything else is free.

http://www.zoll.de/DE/Privatpersonen/Postsendungen-Internetbestellungen/Sendungen-innerhalb-der-EU/Steuern/steuern_node.html

This will get "interestinger" if/when a customs wall is built between the soon-to-be-isolated UK and the EU.

(Brexit, now. Just an opinion.)

Friends in the UK sent us some small gifts (soap, notebooks) amounting to a worth of £10 according to the CN22 customs declaration they had correctly filled out, and also paid £9.05 postage. I received a postcard from Deutsche Post saying I had to go and collect from the Postfiliale and pay €2,42 Zoll plus €6,00 Auslagepauschal = €8,42 total.

Can this be correct? It feels an exorbitant sum for such a small gift. Probably just another Brexit advantage, right?

51 minutes ago, john_b said:

Friends in the UK sent us some small gifts (soap, notebooks) amounting to a worth of £10 according to the CN22 customs declaration they had correctly filled out, 

Did the sender tick "gift" in the CN22 customs declaration?

61b6Ted7j2L._AC_SL1222_.jpg.84557de6d1b4

If yes, you don't have to pay any import VAT and no 6€ DHL fee, since gifts are free of them for up to 45€ value of the gift: https://www-zoll-de.translate.goog/DE/Privatpersonen/Postsendungen-Internetbestellungen/Sendungen-aus-einem-Nicht-EU-Staat/Zoll-und-Steuern/Geschenksendungen/geschenksendungen_node.html?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB&_x_tr_pto=nui

Please see here for the procedure to get the money back: https://www.paketda.de/zoll/auslagepauschale.html#reklamieren

Did the sender tick "gift" in the CN22 customs declaration? Of course! Thanks for the link...

The paketda procedure won't work because DHL will take too long to send the Bescheid. Customs will then decline the appeal and advise you to claim a refund instead. This is legally a different process and requires a signature on the form. I'll dig out the form later when I'm at the laptop John. I've had the same happen to me. I got €2 back from Zoll. Never chased up the €6. I will next time though.

We all know that we ought to recycle the plastic mailing bags used by Amazon, L.L. Bean, Primary, etc. In the US, I just cover the mailing label with the address I'm sending the gift to.
But if you're sending something abroad, turn them inside out, first. I used a repurposed Amazon bag to send Harry Potter t-shirts to son Vierling's girls, and he had to pay customs because the bag showed its original commercial origin.

If you‘re mailing things using Deutsche Post/ DHL you‘re not allowed to use those plastic bags (unless you pay for „Sperrgut“)

An exception, of course, is for returns, because then you‘re technically not the customer, the shop is, and they have other terms and conditions.

https://www.paketda.de/verschicken/tueten.html

Ordered a DVD from the UK, as the one I wanted here lacked the English original soundtrack, on Hollywood/American film!

Got a card from the postman to collect it at the post office. Cost me 9.16 euros to collect, some 3,16 in tax and 6 Euros for them collecting the tax.

DVD cost £16, and came with a correct tax declaration, but no tax was paid.

As of July 2021, even the 22 Euro exemption was removed, so now even small items are a PITA to order from abroad.