Customs charges on gifts sent from abroad

178 posts in this topic

On gifts they do not assess tax on the shipping that is false.

I believe when its a single item valued over 45 euro you dont get the waiver though. But I get full 10 pound boxes and never once was I charged on the 80 dollar shipping. And I always get 45 euro tax free.

However, I did learn even if you send 2 boxes if it arrives at the same time it counts as one gift and you only get one 45 euro excemption but again no fees on shipping

and the tax is a lesser percentage then on purchased goods.

Hello all,

I bought some vitamins for my mother from the US via Ebay, which are sold in certain parts of Europe, but not Germany. The seller stated in the Customs Declaration Form that the value of the vitamins is only US$35 plus US$32 for postage. It was marked as a gift and he did not mention Ebay anywhere and did not include a receipt the package. The package is with the Zollamt and I have to go in with my receipt as the sender did not include one. The issue is, the vitamins cost US$100 more than the seller declared. Like most people, I would like to avoid paying customs fees but not sure if it's worth the hassle. Has anyone tried to say "but they were actually a gift, I don't have a receipt" ? and gotten away with it? The last thing I want is to play dumb, piss customs staff off and then reluctantly print out the receipt.

I have only had to deal with the Zollamt one other time, for some shoes I ordered from Australia. They cost more than the vitamins I just ordered, were not marked as a gift and yet I didn't have to pay a cent in customs fees! Weird.

Thank you in advance.

First of all they will ask you to open the box in front of them. This is standard procedure.

As the package comes direct from a supplier and not a family member then you should take your receipt otherwise the Zollamt will make their estimation of the value and charge accordignly.

If the vitamins are not sold in Germany, there may be a reason for that, and they might confiscate them...

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi All,

Received a demand from our DHL express handlers/ Bertie for Einfuhrumsatzteuer on Christmas presents from my parents for our daughters. The total declared sum for the Parcel and contents was 37 Euros, the tax however came to 25,91. Needless to say the parcel was opened and individually costed (got to love how much the tax dept. justifies theirs hours) with the value coming under the declared sum. We duly called and discussed this with our reklamation agent. to cut a long story short we reluctantly paid up and sent a letter to the Geschaeftfuehrung vorsitzender.

Is this a common occurance and what percentage do you normally have to pay for presents from relatives.

Any help or guidance much appreciated.

If it's over 22 euros then you have to pay tax. How much will depend on what you're importing.

Whether your package gets caught or not as it comes in is just down to luck, but I'd say it's more likely to be stopped than not.

we reluctantly paid up and sent a letter to the Geschaeftfuehrung vorsitzender.

Its no use complaining to DHL - they have no influence over the matter. The import duty will have been levied by customs according to EU regulations.

Is this a common occurance and what percentage do you normally have to pay for presents from relatives.

The import duty is independent of the circumstances, once a certain value has been exceeded.

Been doing some further research for those unlucky enough to be in this situation and have come across a FAQ page on the www1.zoll.de site. Details as follows:

http://www1.zoll.de/english_version/faq/b0_customs_procedures/index.html#customs_procedures15

Hope it may help others in the future. Our case continues

What smarted the most was that they charged 70% tax on christmas presents.

No they didn't. They (the German customs) charged 19% on the accepted value of the goods PLUS the cost of shipping. Let's say the value was 37€ (your figure) and it cost, say 15€ to ship then that's 19% of 52€ which is around 10€, and then DHL will have charged you a handling charge for doing the donkey-work in your name - in this case about 17€. You could of course whinge about this to DHL, but tax is tax and no-one can change that and you can't even influence a move for change as you have no vote here.

If you knew or understood the system you have told your friends to be more conservative in their present buying, or to keep them until you next meet.

On gifts they do not assess tax on the shipping that is false.

There's an off-chance that someone smarter than me could explain exactly how wrong you are, but that person's busy doing shit that pays better than what I get while sitting here waiting for my work stuff to continue. Shipping is ALWAYS included in taxation UNLESS the shipper uses the magic phrase "FOB". Free On Board. It's a shipping term. It's an official term meaning that the cost of the shipping is included even if the "cover price" of the shipping is more than the total item value.

I believe when its a single item valued...

Somone asked for information, not your fucking thoughts and feelings on how things ought to be.

What smarted the most was that they charged 70% tax on christmas presents.

Not true, as YL6 already explained.

There is a 19% VAT on the total value of the item(s) PLUS the shipping (if there isn't a waybill, airbill or bill of lading with marked "FOB"). There is also an additional charge for various items which are subject to tariff, dependent on country of origin and item category/class.

What you're interested in is the maximum €45 GIFT cost/value (including shipping if not officially F.O.B.) which is covered under the ZollbefreiungsVO Vorschriften §25-27. The value drops to about half if it's a purchased item rather than a gift.

woof.

As far as I know and understand Einfuhumsatzsteuer is import tax and this was charged at 20Euros. Gift value was declared at less than 45Euros so that is 70% Tax. Zusatzpositionen was charged at 4Euros and this encompasses the handling charged as admitted by DHL in the reply I received to my letter.

DHL also said "... by considering your shipment as a gift parcel we concede a credit note to you in the amount of...."

Baddoggie, I have reported you to the moderator. There is no excuse for your post in any circumstance.

I read on another forum that packages can get stopped and would be liable for charges when being sent from the States etc if they don't have an invoice attached to the front of them? Is this the case?

This information has probably already been posted on this thread, but for the benefit of those posters who have yet to discover the advantages of using the Search Topic box (below left) here are links to the German Zoll (Customs) and EU sources where some accurate official answers to the recurring FAQs may be found in English:

Customs online

Customs' Information and Knowledge Management

Duty Rates

HTH

2B

As far as I know and understand Einfuhumsatzsteuer is import tax and this was charged at 20Euros.

Baddoggie, I have reported you to the moderator. There is no excuse for your post in any circumstance.

Which just goes to show how little you understand both the taxation system and Baddogie

What we do for XMas and birthdays (mainly kids presents) in our family is use Amazon though any other online service can do the same.

If you have amazon accounts in any country you can use them to buy and ship in other amazon domains if you are feeling brave and understand the language. The benefit of this is: that it :

- shipping costs are radically reduced

- gets rid of restrictions on what they ship and where

- gets rid of tax & hassle with the Zollamt (ever bought through play.com?) - since the items are purchased in country.

- delivery is quicker

For my relatives that are not comfortable using amazon.de we do it for them and they reimburse the cost, I know its not as much fun buts its a lot less hassle than paying extra tax and huge delivery costs (often nearly the value of the item purchased based on the last Xmas we physically sent stuff!!).

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

So I've read in some threads here that €45 seems to be a magic number to keep the value of packages under to avoid import taxes? But does this also include avoiding a trip to the customs office, or are these separate issues?

A trip to the Customs office takes a big chunk of my day each time, and I really want to learn how to avoid it! I'm confused and can't seem to figure out whether I can get charged taxes without going to the Customs office, or any tax charge would require a trip to customs, and if there is a different maximum value tipping point for each (taxes or Customs office pickup of package).

I just found this site, http://www.dutycalculator.com/country-guides/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-Germany/ which mentions avoiding "duty" if under €150 and avoiding VAT if under €22. Is "duty" the one that requires a trip to the customs office, so that if it's between 22 and 150 I have to pay a tax but not get it from Customs?

I'm trying to read all the FAQs on Zoll's site like

http://www.zoll.de/EN/Private-individuals/Mail-Internet/Shipments-to-Germany/Duties-and-taxes/Assessment-of-taxes-and-duties/assessment-of-taxes-and-duties_node.html#doc337438bodyText1

and

http://www.zoll.de/EN/Private-individuals/Mail-Internet/Shipments-to-Germany/Duties-and-taxes/Consignments-of-negligible-value/consignments-of-negligible-value_node.html

and

http://www.zoll.de/EN/Private-individuals/Mail-Internet/Shipments-to-Germany/Procedures/procedures_node.html

but I find them hard to follow. If anyone has a firm grasp on this and can explain it simpler, I'd be so happy!

VIelen dank,

Danielle

:)

Just bumping this post back up to the top cuz it was misfiled at first so maybe it will get seen now! Thanks for any replies.

Danielle