What are you watching right now?

576 posts in this topic

I've never had much interest in cooking shows either in the UK or DE, but I've recently started to enjoy Kitchen Impossible with Tim Mälzer

https://www.vox.de/cms/sendungen/kitchen-impossible.html

The basic premise is simple but really interesting - two chefs challenge each other on three different challenges: they are given a dish that they can eat and analyse, but they don't have any access to the original recipe. Then they must buy the ingredients and recreate the same dish in the kitchen of the creator within a limited time frame which is the judged by a jury who are very familiar with the original.

It's fascinating to see them reverse engineer these original dishes - sometimes classics, sometimes highly ambitious nouvelle cuisine - and recreate them best as they can, all the time thinking out loud about what they are trying to achieve and then their thoughts on the process and final result. It's both humbling and at the same time testament to chefs at the top pf their game, and host Tim Mälzer is funny and authentic and clearly in tune with his guests / rivals.

Lasts around 3 hours with long Werbespots. Great fun!

Laborers in England 1901. No commentary. Fascinating.

And:

Oldest “ video “ ever recorded.

5 hours ago, Anna66 said:

Just watched this...it left me speechless...

Agreed: highly entertaining and simultaneously rather worrying  - apparently not so far from the truth as far as the US is concerned.

On 3/30/2021, 11:39:12, john_b said:

Agreed: highly entertaining and simultaneously rather worrying  - apparently not so far from the truth as far as the US is concerned.

Disturbing. I can imagine the truth in there. Only needs a few key people with true criminal intent.

Well worth watching unless you've got unattended oldies around.. 

Late to the party as usual, but we're really enjoying Fargo as a series - almost half way through season 2. Intriguing balance of humour, observation and occasional schlock horror, smart dialogues and great casting. Amused to see Martin Freeman at home in the Mid_West and now grey-haired Ted Danson.

The black and white German sci-fi series 'Raumpatroullie Orion'

The plastic space helmets remind me of those Dickmann's chocolates you see at the grocery.