What are you watching right now?

580 posts in this topic

If any of you have access to the BBC iPlayer, I recommend that you watch the documentary called Dollar Heroes.

It's about North Korean workers that are sent to work abroad, Russia, China, Saudi Arabia to name a few, and even Poland.

They work in slave like conditions and their money is taken by the North Korean state, converted into US dollars and transported back by diplomats.

This money is then used to finance Kim Jong-un's lavish lifestyle and his nuclear ambitions. Apparently it makes him $1 billion a year.

Anyone watching Babylon Berlin? It's that rare thing these days, an entertaining and well-made German TV series (well it should be for the reported $40 million budget!); already picked up by North American Netflix. Attractive cast, good dialogues, slightly convoluted plots but sufficiently intriguing storylines. Just finished Season 1 and about to embark on the second.

I think Babylon Berlin is very good. I'm way ahead of you though...after watching the first few episodes, I was away for a bit, and those b@ggers at ARD have removed the back episodes from series one (at least, I couldn't find them!) I've jumped straight on to series two instead, and have just about managed to work my way back through the plot whilst enjoying the new series (up to episode 12). A nice change from the usual Tatort menu.

3 hours ago, dstanners said:

I think Babylon Berlin is very good. I'm way ahead of you though...after watching the first few episodes, I was away for a bit, and those b@ggers at ARD have removed the back episodes from series one (at least, I couldn't find them!) I've jumped straight on to series two instead, and have just about managed to work my way back through the plot whilst enjoying the new series (up to episode 12). A nice change from the usual Tatort menu.

I watched all of Series 1 on catch-up - you can download them all using the MediathekView app, all very straightforward.

https://mediathekview.de

Really like the series theme Zu Asche, Zu Staub which has become a real hit.

Babylon Berlin was very good and I'm about to suggest another made for TV German series :

Arthurs Gesetz, (German language,  only English subtitles)

Black humour at it's best.

The new EU rule that streaming services have to offer at least 30% of material made in the EU is great, Netflix and Amazon have been slowly increasing their made in EU shows and movies and the best thing is that we get to see shows made in different EU countries.   So far La Casa de Papel (Spain) has been really great.  Last week we watched a Krimi from Belgium called La Treve which was very interesting, considering I never watched anything from Belgium.   Right now we are watching one from UK called Paranoid, so far it's OK but a bit slow, but still interesting.

I don't care if the production is not big and the "quality" is not AAA Hollywood style.   Just watching things from other countries in original language with subtitles is truly great.

And the best, there are tons of EU movies and shows being made at the moment in order to reach the quota.

I am enjoying Mr Robot on Amazon Prime. It is excellent. If you love science fiction computer technology type of programs, you will love it!

Christmas Chronicles in Netflix is probably the best Santa movie ever. 

Just watched Black Mirror Bandersnatch on Netflix. Was really bizarre, an interactive film, it took me 90 minutes to complete it. Was really really a strange experience.

Best is to try every option to get the full depth of the film. It freaked me out alot.

We watched it last night and we both really liked it. Thanks Anna66.

I would say it's a great film - the acting, directing, cinematography, etc.

Having watched the whole of The Sopranos back in 2006-7, we've often talked about revisiting it again, and finally took the plunge in the New Year and are well into Season 4 by now.

So good, so funny, such great characters. Gem from Season 1: Tony's Mum Livia complains that the home help he organised for her is stealing things. "That beautiful plate that Aunt Settimia took from that restaurant in Rome -- it's gone." 

An interesting short documentary about the women who were part of Bauhaus. I never really liked Bauhau architecture but I do like some of the furnature and textiles! Moreover I found it really interesting to hear about women who studied and worked at Bauhaus in the 1920s. I'd never heard about them before. 

Being a massive stranger things fan. This German series on Netflix called "Dark" intrigued me.

It is really good.