Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Berlin airports - there are three

15 posts in this topic

I did a quick search and unless I'm missing something I couldn't find any information on the airports in Berlin..

I am planning a trip to Berlin in Janurary and its working out cheaper for me to fly, but I have noticed there are two Berlin airports, Tegel and Schoenefeld.

Are they both easily accessable? How much does it cost from the airport to the city centre... Which one do you prefer..

And any other information is greatly appreciated..

Thanking you in advance, Sky

Yes, if you have the choice I would prefer Tegel, since its closer to the city and has easier access to public transportation (good bus connection into the city).

Ticket costs Euro 2,10- valid for 2 hours.

Also a much nicer airport.

Have a fun trip!

here is a link that covers all 3 Airports: Tegel, Schoenefeld and Tempelhof.

Berlin Airport

All airports are easy accessible by public transport and a normal ticket: 2.10 Euro for a single.

Tegel is inn old West Berlin, Schoenefeld old East and Tempelhof in the center (not many companies fly there though.

Can also help with more info if required.

Cheaper carriers generally fly into Schonefeld, but it's a shlep- about an hour by train (it's a cheap train ride, though) to arrive in Charlottenburg (the western city center) and roughly 35 minutes to Alexanderplatz. Tegel is convenient, and there are tons of buses that run from it to most places in the city. Another great search engine to check for flights is kayak.com

It really depends where in Berlin you're going. To Alexanderplatz the bus from Tegel takes 40 minutes, but runs every ten. From Schoenefeld, there are two regional trains an hour that get to Alex in 20 minutes, or if your timing is bad you might take the S9 to get there in half an hour. For Zoo/Charlottenburg add 15 minutes to the SXF time and subtract it from the TXL time. Either airport is in Berlin B, so it's a €2.10 ride, or if you're getting a transit pass anyway you can buy one at the airport and it''s included.

For my money, I'd just go with whichever airport had the better fares. Neither one is impossible to get to/from.

Oh, also, Tempelhof, which is in the southern part of the city itself, is still open (just) but I don't know what commercial carriers still fly there.

It really depends where in Berlin you're going.

and since its closer to the city and has easier access to public transportation :huh:

Reflecting on the rest, to me, the difference is between not liking the orange on the wall of one airport, the other is painted in shades of green. Although I've never flown from Munich to Berlin, so I imagine the poster from Munich has a lot of choices, flying from within one major city in Germany to another.

Tegel is in the northwest, and Schönefeld is a little farther in the southeast. Both have good connecting s-bahn transit. Tegel by a short bus hop before you're on the s-bahn, and Schönefeld has a direct S-bahn line.

Hi

What's the best way to get from Tegel Airport to Portsdamer Platz?

Thanks a bunch

Sarah

Airport Express Bus. Stops at Potsdamerplatz (Sony Center) and Berlin Zoo Main DB Station

Is Tegel about the most perfect Airport ever? I think all airports should follow this design, no matter how big or small. its the easiest in and out I have ever experienced.

unfortunately, it is slotted to be closed as well.

Is Tegel about the most perfect Airport ever? I think all airports should follow this design, no matter how big or small. its the easiest in and out I have ever experienced.

I guess the hollow polygonal shape is convenient if you're arriving by car or taxi, but from the bus stop you usually need to walk most of the way around with all your checked luggage past enormous lines and crowds so you can stand on line for the one counter checking in your flight. If you're not so early that it hasn't started checking in yet. Sure, there's not a long walk from the counter to the gate, but isn't it better to do the walking after you're down to just your carry-on? Not to mention that the separate departure lounges for each flight means there are next to no shops or restaurants once you go through the security screening. Tegel is also structurally incapable of being a (reasonable) transfer airport, with the arrangement of arrival and departure gates.

That said, it's dumb that they're closing it, since a city this size could use the transportation options afforded by two or more airports.

Gotta love the TXL

They say Schonefeld is supposed to be done in 2012. Yeh, right. I would like to know when they will begin on it??? I highly doubt this airport, to what they have planned, will be even remotely completed; especially with German contractors and workers - slow, lazy, incompetent.

They say Schonefeld is supposed to be done in 2012.

Actually, the new airport at Schönefeld's current location will be called Berlin-Brandenburg International, BBI. I believe the plan is to also close SXF once BBI is complete, although low-cost airlines like RyanAir and easyJet that use it have lobbied against this.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes from Tegel to Hotel Adlon by taxi? Cheers.

Somewhere in the region of 30 minutes, I'd guess. Depending on traffic and whether there are any demonstrations / state visits going on.