Christmas trees in Frankfurt

21 posts in this topic

Just curious to know -- does anyone know of/can recommend a place in the frankfurt area to actually get a decent christmas tree? I don't really fancy spending 30-odd euro on a sad, bare tree that looks like it came out of A Charlie Brown Christmas, and that's all i've seen thus far.

thanks for any tips..

Hey Rozija

there is a place in Bornheim with a load of Xmas trees outside, its on a corner somewhere

I'm sure one of the locals can tell you exactly where it is, but you won't have to travel too far to get one

Jonnyboy

Last year there was a guy selling loads at Friedberger Platz, at the end of my old road (Bornheimer Landstrasse) - that might be what you're thinking of jonny.. but also yeah there were a couple of smaller sellers along bergerstrasse... certainly one at merianplatz and also at bornheim mitte. If you get there early before all the good ones go then last year minimal's trees were pretty good value... although not quite as nice as the street sellers'...

there is a place in Bornheim with a load of Xmas trees outside, its on a corner somewhere

These ones are on sale on the Rothschildallee, on a corner between Rohrbachstrasse and Günthersburgallee.

Gonna head down there tonight and get one in I think. :)

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread so I want to know if anyone has any updates? Where is the best place to find a nice sized tree? I would really like to have one this year and I don't have a clue as to where to start. Would prefer to not have to chop it down myself.

Thanks!

Buy it early,the price doesn't get any cheaper until 4pm Xmas Eve.And boy,are they expensive.I've thought of chopping one down and have done a few scouting missions.Save you 40 to 50 Euros on a 6 foot tree but the Germans probably have a tree police division.I wonder what the law is on going into my local wood and getting one??? Any ideas??

You can pick up a tree at the Eisener Steg bridge. Lots of neighborhoods and parks have tree sellers. One at Bornheim is at 5 Finger Platz, going up the Berger strasse. The bi-weekly Bornheim market will be selling trees too, as well as Praktiker, Toom Bau Markt, Obi and other garden centers.

Take away what isn't yours is theft, worldwide. And handled as such by the law.

In the worst case you will still remember Christmas 2011 in September 2012 when the fine is due.

Ikea! I had this same problem last year. Then I saw online that Ikea sells Christmas trees. We bought a full / huge tree and it only cost us 20 euro. And, if you feel up to it, after Christmas you can take the tree back to Ikea and get 5 euro for bringing it back. They recycle them for you. I would say it is a 20 minute max drive from the inner city. Good luck! :)

Forgot to mention that was what we bought last year. I am not sure if they are on sale yet. But should be soon if not now.

Anyone know who sells good tree stands? I'd like one that holds a good bit of water and is very stable---we have cats that although they shouldn't be climbing it, there are no guarantees with cats!

Hi All,

I just bought my tree from a lot in Kronberg (next to the Jaguar dealership). It's about 245cm (we need to cut the top a bit to make it fit well) and paid 50 euro. Right before my husband and I had gone to the lot across from Real and the tree I wanted was going to cost 160 euro! We decided to go else where and so glad we did.

We also bought a base from the lot by the dealership for 33euro but unfortunately it has a leak at the bottom. We will take it back first thing tomorrow morning and see what happens. Not sure if this is the kind of place that will give us our money back or exchange. The stand aside from the leak was great though...it held firmly.

The tree is also great...poor thing is now leaning against a wall in our living room in a short bucket of water.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

:)

On the same line of thoughts...does anybody knows of a place nearby where you can go and cut yourself a tree. A former colleague of mine told me he does exactly that on a farm (but he lives in Bremen); the trees are not necessarily cheaper but at least it is a nice experience to go with the family and enjoy some hot wine and cake.

Ikea has trees of all types, even potted ones, at good prices. A 2m nordmanntanne is 19,90€ for example. They also take them back after Christmas and give you a 5€ coupon. We haven't gone yet---that will be after our trip to the Harz this weekend.

We will be going to cut our own tree next weekend and I used this site to find some potential places:

http://www.gg-online.de/html/weihnachtsbaum_selbst_schlagen.htm

You could also look here if you don't want to roll around on the ground switching angles to make your dull saw work (though they offer that option too per the website):

http://www.weihnachtsbaeume-frankfurt.de/

As for lots where you can just point, pay and carry ...There was a really great selection in front of Mann Mobilia in Eschborn yesterday. I stopped to ask pricing for you and a ~2.5m Nordmanntannen (NM) was 45EUR. The lot on Berger Str. in front of the Penny Markt has a small selection and they have a sign listing pricing at 24EUR/M for the NM and 21EUR/M for Fichte.

Good luck and I will update with where we went, selection and cost after next weekend.

Okay, got the tree today and here is my updated input. We went to the Eschborn cut-your own place from the list above. I was pretty disappointed with the selection due to limited trees over 1.75M. We got a noble in the end that is probably 2.5 and paid 45EUR but there were maybe only 3 or 4 that were that big. I like our tree but the reason I like to cut my own is partly for the game of finding the perfect tree amidst a "plantation" or forest of trees - not going to happen with the Bleistift still in view. Anyway, the home feels filled with +++ energy with the tree up so no complaints. Good luck to all those on the quest.

I uploaded a photo just to remind us all that this is an especially good time of year to remember and honor diversity. Enjoy the holidays all, even if a tree is not part of your tradition.

post-23461-13235534608392.jpg

Anoher update for trees this year (and for use next year). We ended up going to Real. They had real trees advertised as being between 20 and 30 Euros on their website, but when we got there, they had several tree lots throughout the outside of the store. We were told that they were all the same place and to just go around and find one. We were hoping to not spend more than around 40 to 45 Euros. Some of the trees they showed us were completely horrible (in my opinion). They were missing large areas of branches near the top and when I told the woman that it was too bare at the top, she suggested I hang large ornaments from it. They did have some very nice trees, although not much choice as to the tree type (we pretty much got a blue tree or a green tree and either non-sappy and soft needles or hard and sappy). In order to get a decent sized tree (that was taller than our 4-year-old), we had to speend 65 Euros. The tree stand from Real on the other hand was 20. We had a ride to Real, but it could have been done by train. The trees are wrapped up, etc. There were also tree lots in Hochst at bigger Rewe's. I didn't tree shop there, but talked to others who did who said they did not buy a tree because they were all too small.

Hopefully this information will helps someone next year.