Returning of products bought at Saturn

69 posts in this topic

Hi,

on saturday, we went to Saturn and decided to buy a digital camera. I must admit it was not a planned purchase and we ended up buying a camera which got really panned in lots of online reviews. Of course we only found that out once we got home. We then went back to Saturn wanting to exchange it for another one

with much better reviews and unfortunately, we got side-tracked by a salesperson who managed to talk us into a completely different model to the one we had set our minds to. :(

She was good I tell you! She told us about all the great features that it had, it looked sleek and was a higher specs than most camera in its price range. And to top it all off, it had been reduced by 100 Euro!

Feeling confident that we were getting a great deal, we went ahead with the exchange (which took 30 minutes to process!!).

We got home, unpacked the camera to charge it up and to our shock and horror, it was as slow as a turtle!

The time it took to take a photo was 1,5 seconds!!! (the average camera nowadays takes 0,5 secs)

We looked online for a review and there it said that the camera is great overall but only if you're not in a hurry and were prepared to miss a lot of shots of your children.

And this is what we bought it for, to capture shots of our little baby boy who makes more and more funny expressions everyday!

So my question is, can we once more exchange the camera even though we have opened it up? All the packaging is intact except for one plastic wrapping which we had to tear open to get to the charger.

This is the last time I will ever let a salesperson near me!

thanks

Just tell'em the software for Uploading/downloading pix from the camera isn't compatible with your Linux

system.. Doesn't matter if you have a linux system or not, and before you go out and buy another camera,

do some research and read some reviews, find out what you want, and go it it.. Don't let the sales drones

talk you into something else..

You might have problems exchanging it this time, seeing as it was a reduced article. Stress the fact that you want to exchange it for another article, you are not asking for money back. And mention the salesperson's name (if you remember it) and how she didn't tell you how slow the camera is, you expect better from a company well known for its high quality service blablabla. Work on their Catholic sense of guilt.

You need to be realy careful in germany, they do not have a culture of changing things because you have just changed your mind as they do in the UK.

When I worked for C&A ( 30 years) we always had queries from Germany on how high our shop return percentage was in GB. They could not accept that you changed items simply because the CUSTOMER had changed their mind or purchased the wrong thing. The attitude was and still is, thats their fault not ours.

Expert Mark told me to piss off last week as well. I bought 2 Toshiba laptops - one had a busted pixel but they refused to swap or refund. Busted pixels is a bit of a trick issue.

Actually these days under the European Distance Selling Regulations you are much better off to purchase stuff online. You can return most items (not software) within 7 days for a full refund - no questions asked.

You can return most items (not software) within 7 days for a full refund - no questions asked.

Within Germany this is 14 days and the full refund applies if the total cost including postage exceeds EUR40,-, otherwise the customer is obliged to cover the return postage. Buy everything online, I say.

If you want a small pocket sized camera then the Canon Ixus 65 is the thing to get.

Check ebay for a dealer in your area where you can pick the camera up from.

Normally you get loads of extras with it too.

I went to Saturn and they wanted €280,00 for it , on ebay from a dealer near me I got the Camera plus 2Gb card, second batt, Case, Small tripod for €295,00, the username is kq-shop

see here too http://www.kq-flash.de/index.php/cPath/102...482bb4524d5330c

You need to be realy careful in germany, they do not have a culture of changing things because you have just changed your mind as they do in the UK.

You don't know what you're talking about. Like jayhay said, there are laws about this here, and you can take the product back as long as its in original condition (with packaging) within 14 days even if you just change your mind.

Quit whinging about everything that is different over here that in the UK, or preferably just move back to your beloved UK. I really have no idea why you are here anyway, its clear to all you are unable to adjust to a different culture.

I think it would be ok to return the camera, especially since you want to get another one. I have bought and returned many things from both the Saturn and Media Markt without a problem. And also, never listen to salespeople, you are much better off on your own doing some research. Hope it works out for you.

Here is one of the best, most extensive Digital camera review sites on the net. I've been using them to research cameras for over 5 years.. - Megapixel.net

The Current Top Review/Best Camera (Bang for Buck) is the Canon EOS 30D. But quality comes at a price. It's currently going for around 1100 Eur and this is for the camera body only.. No Lenses

But even this camera will be replaced soon by the new Canon EOS 400D

You don't know what you're talking about. Like jayhay said, there are laws about this here, and you can take the product back as long as its in original condition (with packaging) within 14 days even if you just change your mind.

But only if you bought online, not in a shop, where the distance selling regulation does not apply. Any shop that takes goods back is doing so for customer service reasons, and not because they are obliged to. In my experience Saturn is one of those shops, however.

"Umtausch ohne wenn und aber. Geben Sie uns die komplette und unbenutzte Ware innerhalb von 14 Tagen zurück. Kassenbon reicht."

They exchange without any questions as long as you got the original packaging and the bill within 14 days.

Quote is from the Saturn homepage. They dont sell online so this is their policy for the shops. Its not a written law but most stores have it to promote being customer friendly...

I have returned stuff even later then the 14 days without problems. I know you have exchanged it once before...did they mark anything on the bill? If not just go to a different store if you want to avoid stupid looks & questions.

If yes, go there again and do as Sarabyrd mentioned above. They might whinge a bit but usually they go for it (maybe not with a smile) especially if you dont want your money back.

Hutcho you are wrong. The shops are NOT obliged to take stuff back, but lots of them do. In the case of my Toshiba laptop that was 12 hours old, and 100% as purchased aside from a broken screen pixel - it is tough luck that I purchased retail (or from the wrong shop).

Either buy online, or check with the retailer on their policy first. You do not want an LCD TV with broken pixels.

Also the Canon IXUS got slated on the independent gadget show, for poor pictures and slow shutter speed. Came easily last compared to the FUJI or SONY.

Johnny Norfolk, the store's customer friendly exchange policy that is in extension to the statutory rights of the customer is directly quoted in German above. There are stores in Germany that will exchange, there are stores that probably won't: EXACTLY like in the UK.

Johnny English, it depends how many pixels were damaged. There is an ISO standard on LCDs about how many pixel failures are allowed. Grade 1 with guaranteed NO pixel failures is possible but the yield would be so low as to make them prohibitively expensive. Afaik, NO manufacturer guarantees NO pixel failures and say a single pixel failure is NOT a reason to have a legal right to return the goods as the ISO specification of the LCD is in the products spec.

MonksTown. I know the situation on LCD pixels. I used to manufacture and sell my own brand of laptop called ANR (Advanced Notebook Research). Each manufacturer policy is different. Toshiba has links about their policy and little diagrams of what they consider you can and cannot claim.

It is an interesting legal area, because if something is DEFECTIVE then you can swap or return, so the manufacturers all try and claim the screen is not defective, although of course the little pixel itself is defective.

Just I needed a couple of laptops for staff in a hurry and forgot to be anal for a day. My bad.

The lesson is when buying a laptop - either buy mail order, or check the store policy, manufacturer policy, or open it in the shop. Unless you don't give a toss about broken pixels, which is also I guess valid!!

It is also worth noting that the % of products that are returned is monitored by manufacturers as is the % of products that are returned as supposedly faulty but turn out to be within the advertised specs. Manufactuer X is less likely to cut store Y a super deal if they end up with loads of hidden costs later just cos an end customer changed their mind after entering into a legally binding contract.

NEC is the only FlatPanel company to have a "No Pixel Failure", policy.

If 1 pixel is dead, they will take it back. No questions asked...

The Industry standard For pixel failure/replacement is 3 dead pixels in a 4in square, or 5-6 overall.

It's not that hard to make pixels fail, and get the store to take the laptop back :D ya just gotta be very carefull.