The canonical Kiel meetup thread: Konak, Wed. August 31, 7 pm

717 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I am new in town. I am looking for people to talk to in English, to meet and do fun things together, maybe founding a Stammtisch with English speaking northbees (maybe no newbees anymore).

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi!

I'm American(from CO) and arrived in Kiel this September. I would also love to speak english with someone from the area!

Hope to hear back!

HI,

should we arrange a Stammtisch, put an add in the papers or else? It seems that there are not much out here but I bet they are hidden somewhere in Kiel. I would love to get in touch with some people.

Colorado is a great place. Where in CO are you from?

That's a great idea, I'm all for it!

I wonder how many people we could get to participate!...

Just let me know how you want to do it!!

I'm sure we could get an ad in the "Kieler Express"(I think that's the name of it!)

I was born and raised in a town an hour away from Denver, it's nice, close to the mountains and everything.

I did a student exchange my Senior year of high school(last year) in Wismar, fell in love, and moved back to Kiel to be with my, now, husband!

Congratulations and lots of luck with your new life.

I have flown small airplanes from the Denver area via Canon City toward the West. Loved it !!

We could put an ad into the Kieler Express. There might be a weekly paper with only ads but Kieler Express sounds good. Something like: "Who would like to chat and meet in English" or else ?

Would you know a place to meet?

I live far from Kiel, but will make every effort to be there for Kieler Woche in June. Now THAT is a party. You guys can scope out all the good pubs until then for me. :D

Kieler Woche looks fabulous, I have always wanted to go to Kiel, I had a strange dream about the place once that makes me think I had lived there in a past life...

My family was originally from that neck of the German woods. It's beautiful and the parties at Kieler Woche rank up there with some of the very best. The place is packed with sailors from all over the place... :D

Wow, it's a really small world!

The title you have sounds great...about a meeting place...I wouldn't really know anything, I would think about a restaraunt in the city, but not knowing how many people would be coming, that might be difficult.

I have flown small airplanes from the Denver area via Canon City toward the West. Loved it !!

You been flying out of Boulder then?

My employer has large offices in Broomfield - theres also a small airport out

the back...

Wow, and I grew up thinking that noone even knew where Colorado was!! =P

But while I'm on here, I have a question and hope someone has an answer for me!

I'm 18-years-old and have my high school diploma...and need to find some work! Does anybody have any ideas?? I don't know if I want to study, or do an ausbildung, but I have no idea what I want to do!!!

If anyone has some helpful tips or advice I would appriciate it!

Thanks!

OK, I am back from Hawaii ;) So - time to start arranging things in Kiel. I am plannng to put an add up in the next Express and maybe put signs at blackboards in the university or public library. The restaurant I would choose is the Traumfabrik, Kiel, Grasweg 19. It is a movie theater and a nice place to meet with lots of space to sit and chat. I would make a reservation for maybe 10 people and then see what happens. The date, Thursday 08.02. and then every 2. Thursday? What about something like:

Who is interested in speaking English with native English speakers/ones who speak English fluently? Let's meet every 2. Thursday in Kiel, Traumfabrik, Grasweg 19 - first time: 08.02.07, reservation under Ute. Looking forward to seeing you all (01773402425).

Let's try and I am looking forward to meeting interesting people.

I will be there! I couldn't find the ad in the Kieler Express,so thanks for sending the email! I, personally, don't know any other english-speakers, but I'm looking forward to meeting some from the area! GREAT IDEA! See you there!!

HI,

I noticed that there is a Kiel meetup group, but also saw that the last post for this topic was almost nine months ago. Is the meetup group still active? I am new in Kiel, am 26 and originally from L.A., and came here to teach English. I would be more than happy to meet some English native speakers on a regular basis!!!

Hi,

yes, feel welcome to join. There is a group of ten so far, some new people may show up next time. We meet every two weeks at Forstbaumschule in Kiel, 7:30 PM. There is a reservation for "English-Group - Ute". Ask fot the table and meet us there on September 20th and then every two weeks. Bring some other native speakers. Age: everybody is allowed.

See you then,

Ute

Hi Ute!

Is this group still active? How many people are meeting up?

I´m just asking here for my mum, she might be interested-but her computer isn´t working, that´s why i check this out for her!

Thanks!!

Hi, is this group still active? Where do they meet in Winter or non Biergarten times? Why not in the English Pub ( Strongbow's - see pictures in kielometer.de ) sometimes? Thursday is Cheap Beer Night ( usually full so you would need to reserve a table ). There are already some English and Irish regulars. Martin

Hi,

yes, the group is still active and always looking for new members.

The idea of the English Pub is great, we will discuss it next time. The next meeting will be on Thursday, April 17, 7:30 PM, Foorstbaumschule, Kiel, inside. Ask for the English Group table. Please joyn everybody :)

Ute