Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Nursing job opportunities in Munich

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am an Australian trained Registered Nurse with experience in both emergency and occupational health moving to Munich in January. I would appreciate any advice on jobs for nurses in Munich. Does anyone know of english speaking Doctors who would employ an english speaking nurse? or of large companies that would use an occuaptional health nurse? I am quite flexable in what i can do, I would be interested in working as a CRA for a pharmaceutical company or can also do first aid training. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.thanks

Hi,

being German I am a bit pessimistic about your job search.

There are several things to consider, like:

Are you a citizen of the EU or married to an EU citizen (makes it a whole lot easier to get a work permit)?

Is your degree recognized in Germany? In Germany you become a nurse by working 3,5 years in a hospital while attending a nursing school attached to a hospital (or several hospitals). It is not a University/College degree. Other EU nursing diplomas are recognized in Germany though, as far as I know. Don't know about an Australian diploma.

Do you speak German? Seems extremly hard for me to find a nursing job without being somewhat fluent in German.

It might be easier to find an adequate job with the pharmaceutical industry. There are tons of internet job search engines - again for the German job market mostly in German.

Jabbahhh, I don't think you are pessimistic, what you wrote sounds very realistic.

I do know personally many nurses brought over here from other countries that could not speak german, to nurse here. There is an exteme shortage of qualified nurses here still! (as in most countries ín the world).

I would check with your International Nurses Assoc (if there is one- I know the Dental Hygienists have one) and see what the restrictions are, and see where you fit.

Good luck!

Yes, Niamh was an EU as well as alot of the other nurses she worked with at Grosshandern, but there were also alot of former Eastern Block nurses working there with her too. And I do know that Geisenhofer employes some Canadian nurses.

Hello all!

I'm curious to know if anyone knows what the job outlook for nurses is in Germany (especially in Munich). I'm an American citizen thinking of moving to Munich, and am wondering how easy or difficult it could be to find a job as a nurse if I received my certification here in the States.

Thanks so much!!

Topics merged by admin

hi,

i was wondering if anyone could help me with some information. I'm a UK registered nurse and due to my husband being offered a job in Munich next year it looks like we might be moving!

my german is still at tourist level so at present i would not even be considered for a postion in the local hospitals but i was wondering if there were any other options available? I am unable to locate any military bases near to munich so i dont think i can go down that road.

also how were peoples experiences of registering/ working as a nurse in germany? i am aware that the salary is very different (currently sister in uk band 7) so i know that its going to be a bit of a shock, but what are the general nursing conditions like?

I would appreciate any help,

carrie

Topics merged by admin

hi.. this is interesting for me .. because i plan to move over to munich by getting a job in hospital. I would like to know how much is the salary as a registered nurses in Munich?

Hi everyone, I lived in Munich from 2008 - 2012. I am a UK citizen and a registered nurse. I searched the web for English speaking nursing employment agency while I was there and found myself invited to a city centre office dealing in temporary nursing positions. I explained that I had basic conversational German  - but was learning more and more and that I would need support with the language. The temp office staff said that would be no problem. I also explained that I would like to work as a nursing assistant (krankenplegerhelfer), for 2 reasons, one for my German learning and two to protect patient safety and my registration! I was overwhelmed by the initial paperwork and needed my fluent German speaking partner to come to the office and oversee what I was signing - it all went too fast for me to keep up. I agreed to work at a city centre hospital and found myself in an acute stroke unit and on day one was given 4 patients to look after as a named nurse and was expected to electronically record my care on the hospitals systems - I explained I was learning German and was there supposedly as a nursing assistant. Sadly I gave up the work, as I was not supported in anyway with the language - even though the senior nurse for that hospital wanted me to work there permanently. Please be aware and insist support with the langauge is essential and don’t put yourself in the same position that I did - even though I am a very confident and competent nurse. I felt so alone and disappointed at a wasted opportunity for all. 

I know UK friends/ RNs, who got  jobs in Germany through UK nursing agencies. They spoke little German, but worked in the OR and had support. UK college of nurses can help with  documents certifying UK registration.

For US RNs, also good idea to check with US agencies. And same for Aussie nurses- check with agencies in Australia for jobs in Europe. They do the paperwork and organise everything.