Vienna - tips for visitors

39 posts in this topic

I just spent four wonderful days in Vienna. The city is a friendly place and the architecture is breathtaking.

I spent most of my time in the middle of the city, in the first district. Like Paris, Vienna is divided into districts, currently there are 23. With 1.6 million people, it is slightly bigger than Munich but did not seem nearly as crowded in the downtown areas.

If you like Gustav Klimt, I recommend that you visit the Seccesion Museum. Klimt was the museum’s first president of the secessionism movement in 1897. This past year there has been another exhibit of Klimt art in Vienna but the majority of pieces have now been moved to the United States.

Vienna is full of horse-drawn carriages but surprisingly enough, I saw less animal droppings on the streets than you see in Paris.

On Saturday as I was wondering about the city center I saw a sign on one of the side streets for Trzesniewski’s. At first I thought it must be a restaurant and I was hungry so I went to check it out. It was not what I expected.

It is a small, somewhat over heated bistro of sorts that has existed since 1902. They serve at least 21 types of brötchen with “aufstrich

Just one point on this, I don't think Kohlmarkt is the best known street for shopping in Vienna. Graben around the corner and Kärtnerstr leading away from Stephansplatz are more well know in my experience.

And whilst these three streets do contain many of the high-end shops (amongst others), the best street in Vienna for shopping is actually Mariahilferstr in the 6th district. I know you didn't say 'best', but just wanted to share the information.

Mariahilferstr is known to be similar to the downtown shopping area in Munich. With C&A and those types of shops. My taxi driver and a business contact that I met with both told me to go to Kohlmarkt. Of course the area around it, Stefanplatz to Karlsplatz is absolutely full of shops. Everything from Zara to H&M but Dior and other high end shops are on Kohlmarkt.

But you are right, that Mariahhilferstr. is well known for shopping.

@SD. Good tips, I second the rec to Trez. Dont know how I found it though, just stumbled by I suppose. Well come to think of it Im not even sure thats the name (I lost my travel diary) but how many places like that could there be. Nevermind. Thats really very terrible ending though. I suppose you could call the Vienna police from Paris. It probably wont go anywhere but who knows... it might and shake her up a bit.

@jml

This seems to be a different Saint. Or maybe not, but then the date on the profile page is a bit confusing. Oh well...

If you like café culture then of course, Vienna is the place to be. Unfortunately they are still as smoky as ever

I actually found Vienna's cafés to be a breath of fresh air compared to Munich's. I didn't keep a log but I'm sure that most of the ones I went to had a non-smoking section.

i love Trzesniewski’s. whenever i visit my relatives, we stop for some sandwiches.

i love viennese coffee culture so i am biased. it has to be smokey, the waiter has to be old and adress you with "gnädige" frau, it has to look a bit run-down. nothing fancy or modern but good tasty coffee and interesting mix of people. ...

I actually found Vienna's cafés to be a breath of fresh air compared to Munich's. I didn't keep a log but I'm sure that most of the ones I went to had a non-smoking section.

It's a shame you didn't write them down. It would be good to know. I was in four cafés and they all choked me with smoke.

That's a shocking story about that "Sushi" place. I've never heard of something like that happening in a restaurant around Germany. But I've heard before that certain people have much less hesitation to be nasty towards a lone woman than to a male person.

I'll be there next weekend

Do you have a favourite place?

The search function is your friend (he's written about Vienna before). :)

Many. I lived there for a year and visit about twice a year, so it's like a home away from home...eh, away from home.

The search function is your friend (he's written about Vienna before).

how is the search function going to help Saint discover Keydeck's favourite Viennese café?

IIRC he's recommended quite a few places, his favourite one is probably among them unless he's really mean and doesn't like to share.

Kay, please tell me how you used the search function to specifically find Keydeck's favourite Viennese café. If i search for "Vienna Keydeck" i only come up with this thread. If I search for "Vienna" about ten dozen threads appear which doesn't help me find the thread where Keydeck posted his favourite Café.

I have two favourite cafés. One is directly across from the Rathaus and the other is down near the end of Rotenturmstr. I'm crap at remembering names.

I've never been. I am still waiting for someone to take me.

OG, ER had an open invitation to come stay in a very nice hotel in Vienna for free, for the weekend and she passed it up to stay home with a certain someone she missed. So maybe you could take a certain lady to Vienna for a romantic weekend. I was eyeing the carriages longingly wishing that I was in Vienna with a handsome man. :(