Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Graffiti everywhere in Berlin

67 posts in this topic

Hey cosine, how about I tag your apartment? Inside.

in case you didn't notice -

i indicated in my last post that i didn't realize private property/homes/etc were what were being talked about.

i'd be upset too. but public spaces, etc are slightly a different matter

What exactly do you mean by public spaces? Bus shelters, the windows of busses/trams/trains, what remains of the Berlin wall? Is that ok too?

y'all that hate tagging and graffiti would really hate my apartment building, the graffiti is the only thing holding the plaster and mortar on.

i can do without the broken beer bottles tho.

What I don't seem to get is, where in the hell are the police when the vandalism is occurring? Seems to me that they're everywhere except where they need to be.

They should have those the folks who are sitting on their asses at home collecting unemployment checks because it's not lucrative enough for them to get off their asses and find a job on some sort of a work program, and have them scrub up the grafitti. This country hands out cash as if it grows on trees, and it's absolutely ridiculous.

Polizist erschießt Randalierer

Ein 24-jähriger Berliner Polizeikommissar hat im brandenburgischen Nauen einen Mann mit seiner Dienstwaffe erschossen. Dieser hatte mit einem Nothammer aus einem Zugabteil Scheiben von Bushaltestellen eingeschlagen.

This is where the police are...

(Police office shot dead a guy who had smashed the glass of a bus stop with one of those little red hammers that he stole from a train!)

I agree gooner, it was a bit harsh. Maybe he can appeal and get a lighter sentence.

Wow. You people (Keydeck, BadDoggie, Jilleta) are hardcore. I can't help but wonder if you've really done any research into graffiti and its history, before making such incredibly volatile statements, like the following:

It's graffiti. They're scum scrawling their bullshit on other peoples property. They should have their wrists broken.

Keydeck, perhaps, you should move to eastern India, they chop hands off there for stealing. Maybe this type of "justice" system would be more to your liking...

I chase down and hurt taggers.

BadDoggie, you're at least more to the point, rather than waste precious time breaking wrists and such, like Keydeck, you'd just "kill" them. And frankly, most of the writers out there have more than likely already tagged and painted all over their property, so I guess your arguement would fall upon deaf ears. Besides that I suspect you'd never have the balls to actually write graffiti on anyone's property. I suspect your "bark" is bigger than your bite.

They should have those the folks who are sitting on their asses at home collecting unemployment checks because it's not lucrative enough for them to get off their asses and find a job on some sort of a work program, and have them scrub up the grafitti.

Jilleta, those are some pretty big accusations you're making about people on unemployment. But I'm sure they're based on lots of research, interviews and other data that would support them. Otherwise, I'm sure you wouldn't make such blanket judgements. But if so, perhaps you could volunteer your time to help direct these "folks who are sitting on their asses" to better themselves.

If any of you are interested in educating yourselves about the subject at hand, I've provided some links below. Of course, any basic search on Google will turn up many more.

http://www.at149st.com/history.html

http://www.jam2dis.com/j2dgraffitihist1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graffiti

Your interests matrix is more revealing than any Google search:

art, urban decay, substance, dumpster diving

This has really become a huge problem all over Germany, but especially in Berlin. Windows scratched, seats knifed, phone booths smashed, freshly painted private property spray painted.

I have even ran off a few in my neighborhood: "not here, uh uh...not on my watch".

There is a theory that like of pride in one's nation/culture pushes people to these anarchist extemes...the public's and police's soft stance on this doesnt make it any better. Its tough to get some overweight, sloppy policeman who is picking his nose with one hand and his thumb stuck up his ass with the otehr to get excited about doing anything.

does anyone know what the fine is for this type of vandalism...I know BVG and Bahn have their own set regulations regarding this, but in general?

Paris has very strict fines regarding any type of vandalism, then again the French view their capital differently than Berliners do.

does anyone know what the fine is for this type of vandalism...I know BVG and Bahn have their own set regulations regarding this, but in general?

at least as far as graffiti on the side of builidngs etc. goes, the law is AFAIK that if it doesn't cause what's classed as "material damage", i.e. to the substance of the building, it's not an offence. As graffiti is usually a superficial matter which can be solved with a lick of paint, the (criminal) law is fairly useless. There were moves to change it, but I don't recall whether they got anywhere.

Berlin is also suffering from "graffiti tourism", it's not just home grown.

(Personally I think there should be a give-and-take set-up: Mr. Graffiti Vandal is welcome to come and make a mess of my living environment, if in return I or any interested parties can go and impose our aesthetic ideas on his).

Paris has very strict fines regarding any type of vandalism, then again the French view their capital differently than Berliners do.

If only Paris were similarly strict about lettling your dog take a shit on the sidewalk...

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you went to Paris? I was there last week and found it to be much, much cleaner than during my previous visit three years ago. I didn't inspect the entire city, granted, but I visited quite a few neighbourhoods, and the Marais district was the only one where I saw the kind of "evidence" you refer to.

I was in Paris in December 1998, so it's quite possible they've cleared up the dog shit problem since then.

Yeah, you were talking about vandalism when mentioning the fines. Why are you now questioning our ability to read english when the thread had moved on to dog shit?