Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Graffiti everywhere in Berlin

67 posts in this topic

To me, there's a big difference between some idiot writing crap on a pole in the train and someone putting in a lot of work to artistically make something that actually looks nicer than the original surface. JennyL's picture is the type of graffit that ticks me off, Stevegus's is the type I can admire.

I went to Pacific U. for a year and graffiti on this old cement bench kept it like new (rumor has it for over 120 years). Constantly being painted...

http://www.pacificu.edu/alumni/sac/PhotoAlbum.cfm

scroll to "Painting the Spirit Bench"

I read that Auckland, NZ has a zero tolerance policy against graffiti vandalism and its working out good for them...

...My understanding is Berlin supposedly spends $500 million euros per year just to clean up graffiti vandalism on the streets and public transport.

Dude, going to the loo is the first step to recovering from anal retentiveness. The only casualty from graffiti could be arguably natural brick, but then brick buildings might be painted up to 12 feet or so, as a renewable canvas.

Graffiti brings life and good weathering to urbia. And is replaceable, sermon, sermon, sermon.

Jesus loves you, go get saved. Yada, yada.

The reason there is graffiti everywhere, is class-warefare. I applaud those who do it. To understand this, means being willing to comprehend the association between rents, property valuations, and graffiti. This is the most important reason why graffiti exists. The average, stuffy unevolved paper-pusher will not pay €€€€€€€€ for a place if there is graffiti all around.

Good for 'us', and bad for 'those who are too anal about it'.

Ohmigawd. Somone else thought it was anal. I swear I hadn't read this before.

Although, I disagree it is class warfare. There, I have expressed myself for today. I'll leave the spray can in its place.

It comes as no surprise to anyone I know here that 90% of my friends back home do graffiti/tagging. I will also say I have never had the inclination to ask them why they do it. Never crossed my mind. I do not agree with the class warfare syndrome though. One of the most rampant taggers in Portland that finally got caught turned out to be a trust fund baby from a wealthy family attending Reed College.

A side story ( and you knew one would come) was that once my best friend and I were having coffee at a coffee shop that I always hung out at near her house. She turned to me and said out loud " You know I find it odd that every building in Lauralhurst is tagged except this one" Everyone stopped drinking for a millisecond then went back to drinking. Ha-ha.

There was a guy who was tagging pretty much the whole London underground over the last few years - Toxic was his name. You could keep track of when he tagged because he'd add the year always and sometimes the month - Toxic 04 or Toxic 306 type of thing.

Anyway he eventually got caught after costing millions of pounds of damage himself. He turned out to be a private school boy and son of a top Barrister. Certainly no class war there!

To me, there's a big difference between some idiot writing crap on a pole in the train and someone putting in a lot of work to artistically make something that actually looks nicer than the original surface. JennyL's picture is the type of graffit that ticks me off, Stevegus's is the type I can admire.

I think we can all agree that most of us are pissed off about the Graffiti that look like illegible scrawling or chicken scratch. The kind that makes no sense, and you see plastered everywhere and etched into almost every U-bahn window. I don't think anyone is complaining over the artistic murals that you see painted around the city. Its the tagging that we dont like.. in fact, I have seen several mural defaced with graffiti tagging, including the east side gallery. I too don't buy the argument that its social or class related. There are many kids in well to do families, who love to tag their name down the entire street.

The question is, is there anything we can do about it?

Dude, going to the loo is the first step to recovering from anal retentiveness. The only casualty from graffiti could be arguably natural brick, but then brick buildings might be painted up to 12 feet or so, as a renewable canvas.

Graffiti brings life and good weathering to urbia. And is replaceable, sermon, sermon, sermon.

Maybe you don't mind having your property tagged with some kid's initials, maybe you don't mind having your windows scratched up so badly that you can barely see out of them. Hell, there could be a whole lot of things that do not bother you... but... Leave a piece of shit out on the front of your doorstep and after a few days you'll see that it too "brings life"..

Of course you are entitled to your own opinions.. but the majority of normal people probably do not appreciate these taggings.

I don't mind people artistically expressing their selves, but if these kids think that there are so many people out there that want to see their scribblings, perhaps they should put them on a canvas and sell them for money instead of painting every street corner for free!

I remember the graffitty all over the ground floor from living in Berlin- Friedrichshain.

I moved to Zehlendorf a couple years ago- and there is hardly any.

So it is not all over Berlin!

Do you need help in finding a place to live?

I would be happy to be of assistance- also with all the administration papers, schools etc.

Hi Kathi,

I sent you a private message. I would be interested in your opinion on relatively clean areas of Berlin near S Bahn station Adlershof. What do you think of Treptow, Niederschoenenweide or Baumschulenweg?

Hmm I was just reading the latest on Banksey getting an exhibition. What is everyones opinion on them. I started a thread regarding baksey a year ago but it looks like it has been deleted.

It's not all about class-warfare, black or white, 0 or 100. I'm glad it inspired comments.

My comment is the element which is very strong in the talk I've heard from people who actually do it. People also do non-sensical expressions with spraypaint on walls as they feel too. Drawing in caves. It's a human thing.

This discussion (sometimes) has been like the comparison between the lived-in room, and the apartment which is so freaking clean I feel I am being 'sterilized' from being in it. Bacteria is a normal part of life. No, it doesn't mean I like the guy next to me who hasn't bothered to bathe in two months, but oh well, GET OVER IT! I do brush the bowl, but I don't break out the toxic chemical mixture straight outta Auschwitz, from Schlecker.

Like the other poster said, stop being so anal. And yes, there are less graffiti'd areas of berlin. OT: There are also (related) areas with a NPD supporters and german flag wavers, which means the same nationalistic idiot-deck thing as in the U.S.A. However, thankfully, here people are more aware of the significance. I guess you could trade NPD with Republican and German flags with U.S., and mabye a couple of nazi swasticas and it'd all be about the same thing. http://mostlywater.org/the_end_of_the_bush_dynasty. End OT.

nah not really I dont give a shit if things are tagged. What is art and what is not art is up to someone to decide. I just want to f*cking paint/draw/photograph. In fact the outside door to my building got tagged evidently two weeks ago. My downstairs neighbor was furious ( I had the unfortunate chance off running into him today) he was all mad saying how he owned his flat etc etc property value etc etc. He asked me what I thought i was just like dude I got a kilo of tomtoes I am gonna cut up, then dice this onion, throw in some olive oil Id been saving from greece, and then make this fersh pasta I just bought. So I dont care besides I live free.Sorry.

@s2s2

to bad your not in munich we could burn one

cheers

Yo I live right by Alexanderplatz, and there is this Telephone booth there that has no more glass encasing it because someone smashed it through. Why does the city bother replacing it. Everytime its replaced and looks nice again the next evening someone smashes it through. Why waste money replacing these things if your not going to do anything to combat it?

like people have nothing better to do than bitch about graffiti.

berlin is way ghetto, get used to it.

maybe you could find something more productive to bitch about, like all the damned hundscheisser.

The graffiti I am talking about is not anything that a normal person could consider artistic.

Your interpretation of what is 'artistic' or not is just that: Your interpretation. Perhaps to some the "barely legible scribblings" are art. Just some food for thought.

is anything being done about the graffiti problem

Well, I really don't know what residents feel about it but maybe it is not a "problem" to others.

It's graffiti. They're scum scrawling their bullshit on other peoples property. They should have their wrists broken. I would gleefully carry out the job myself. Whether it's quality art or random scribbles is irrelevant. You write on my shit, I'll fuck you up, simple as that.

It's a little different when talking about private property... I assumed it was mostly public spaces being talked about.

Hey cosine, how about I tag your apartment? Inside. Would my artistic symbols be appreciated there? Would you really want to see my BD scrawl spraypainted all over your walls, your posters/art, and written on your books? How about I scratch "FAHK YUO" into all your windows?" Is that art? How long would you go before repainting?

I'm fine with anyone who has permission from the owner or caretaker of any piece of property to slap up a mural or a memorial. Anyone else? Kill.

I chase down and hurt taggers.

woof.

maybe you don't mind having your windows scratched up so badly that you can barely see out of them.

Dunno. Here, anyone I see with a ground floor apartment, has shutters. vinyl kind or metal, which roll up and away, like a 'dutch door'. What are they called?

Leave a piece of shit out on the front of your doorstep and after a few days you'll see that it too "brings life"..

I was wondering what the smell was. Seriously, I knew the cool old neighbor guy was working in his garden when the smell of steer manure floated through the air.

the majority of normal people .. do not appreciate these taggings.

With deference to your point, which I agree with, the majority of normal people can f-off.

like people have nothing better to do than bitch about graffiti.

berlin is way ghetto, get used to it.

maybe you could find something more productive to bitch about, like all the damned dogshit.

woot!

burn one. I thought you meant a flag. oh, and then, what kind? i had to read about three posts before the part of my brain which grinds out things on idle went bing! i'm already there, and defo crazy; taking medication to stick around with the majority of normal people.

Since the majority of nay-say posters are concerned about money, like they are straight outta [west germany] or sumfin, you can go live in the upscale (old west) areas of town, and pay the big euro notes. there's room in berlin for both. i find that crap stuffy. remember today on the beeb about the flooding? some people looked poor, yet happy. not that I wanna be wading down the centre of the street. naw, I've done poverty mindset already. not for me.

I'm waiting for your comment on what I wrote, s2s2. How about letting me get all artistic on your personal belongings and on the walls you have to look at every day?

Taggers have no problem with the destruction of other people's property but they always have shitfits if something of theirs is touched. Voice of experience.

woof.