Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Graffiti everywhere in Berlin

67 posts in this topic

Was in Berlin last week, and will be moving there in January. Is it just me, or does it appear that just about every Strassenbahn or S-Bahn have their windows scratched up with barely legible scrawlings. Furthermore, almost every street corner, lamppost or wall has these same illegible scrawlings! It was also quite sad to see the beautiful paintings on the east side gallery with graffiti all over them.

The graffiti I am talking about is not anything that a normal person could consider artistic. It is the ugly, barely legible scribblings that are left by some 14 year old tagger who thinks he's gonna be famous by writing his name with black spraypaint down the entire street. That is really an eyesore. Are Berliner's already immune to it? It seems like that is the only thing I noticed that was omnipresent during my last visit to Berlin... the Graffiti.

Is anything being done about the Graffiti problem in Berlin?

And are there districts in Berlin that are relatively free of Graffiti?

Well, I have lived here all my life, and I still find the graffiti very annoying. I guess some people do get used to it, just cause they don't want to have their days being ruined by it, but I wish these stupid kids would just find another outlet for their frustration or demonstration of "coolness" or whatever. It's just WAY too much here, and as you said, we are not talking about arty graffiti here but these illegible scribblings (their "signatures")... And the scratching is just completely nuts and doesn't make sense to me at all. Ugh.

A few days ago saw a team from the city council (?) scrubbing the underpass in Leipziger Strasse until it was gleaming ... the graffiti down there was unreal! I went through it today and some the walls have already been defaced. It's a vicious circle. Graffiti police urgently needed me thinks!

City of Portland discovered an odd thing a while back, public murals or art are much less likely to be tagged.

What about all those 1 euro per hour job holders? Wouldn't it make sense to put them on graffiti cleanup? It would be nice if Berlin would adopt a no tolerance of graffiti policy. Once graffiti is spotted, it would be cleaned within 12-24 hours. One of the main goals of the graffiti vandals is to have their "signature" on a highly visible place for as long as possible.. Take that away from them, and they might actually think about doing something productive instead of vandalizing every street corner.

Take that away from them, and they might actually think about doing something productive instead of vandalizing every street corner.

Now do you really think so? I am being serious. I do not believe this and am willing to agree to disagree. I am just curious if you really think it will diminish graffiti.

Berlin already has a few artworks on the sides of buildings along the Stadtbahn. I think the only one that's actually sanctioned is the "Three Worlds" mural between Savignyplatz and Zoo. (I actually looked at a few apartments in that building!) There are also a couple of pieces of what are probably graffiti, but the artistic kind we don't mind seeing: the Reagan/Clinton/Bush trio in Savignyplatz and the bizarre bit of poetry (poetree?) in Bellevue.

Defacement of the East Side Gallery is disturbing; didn't they set aside the west side of that section of wall so that contemporary graffiti artists could express themselves without overwriting the historical artwork?

There are a few areas here in Berlin that have "professional Graffiti" on the building faces, these have been made by professional artists who have been paid/invited to construct murals rather than indiscriminate scribblings. The up side of these murals is that they are visually appealing and i have not seen one that has been tagged by another would be artist. Is it respect to the artists or what?

Is it respect to the artists or what?

As an artist I would have to say yes or at least an understanding. I have never tagged nor have the desire to tag. I have come across some very moving peices and have also come across some items that I can care less for ( it is not my place to say what is good and not good) . I will also say I have seen more political tagging here which I definately appreciate a great bit (someone sprayed "Nazi Raus!" here last year and it has yet to be removed by the city). While a friend was here last year we went through areas of Munich photographing graffiti items. Like I said some good some I could care less for.

but the artistic kind we don't mind seeing: the Reagan/Clinton/Bush trio in Savignyplatz

There you go... B) Took this picture in July.

rcbgraffitidk3.jpg

Now do you really think so? I am being serious. I do not believe this and am willing to agree to disagree. I am just curious if you really think it will diminish graffiti.

I read that Auckland, NZ has a zero tolerance policy against graffiti vandalism and its working out good for them. They have increased the punishment for graffiti vandalism and have special graffiti removal teams to remove any graffiti within 12-24 hours. They have established hotlines and rewards. The end result is that the streets are once again clean, and the artists have their own areas set aside to express their creativity. Furthermore, tourism also increased by about 10-15%. My understanding is Berlin supposedly spends $500 million euros per year just to clean up graffiti vandalism on the streets and public transport.

Also, Switzerland has implemented, or will be implementing a similar zero tolerance policy because of the increasing graffiti vandalism there too.

Hmm interesting. So I have to assume that you do believe that it will diminish graffiti/tagging. That was all I was curious about.

cheers!

What I think is daft though is when people paint the wall of a building white. Its like, just asking to be grafittied! Most of all in Berlin. The way to deal with it is to paint walls dark colours. OK they can use white spray, but its much less common. And also to paint over any graffiti the moment it appears. If the Hausmeister responsible for the building does that within 24 hours after a while they will give up and go elsewhere.

I agree.

Also not to take this in another direction but the one thing I hate about germany is that there are too many dull colored buildings ie white..yellow.. tamed out green. Well at least it is that way here in the oberpfelz.

The graffiti I am talking about is not anything that a normal person could consider artistic. It is the ugly, barely legible scribblings that are left by some 14 year old tagger who thinks he's gonna be famous by writing his name with black spraypaint down the entire street.

Wha-wha-wha. Cry me a freekin river. And this is not directed at the above poster, the name was changed. However, the comments are typical, and so selected.

Many ideas, many truths. The maturity, to trust the above idea had truth, while continuing to fathom others equally, and not push to place a lot of weight on any of it. As one steps out of stifling religion, and codified authritarianism, it becomes easy to understand multiple things can be true at the same time (which is to say you, dear reader, can choose).

The reason there is graffiti everywhere, is class-warefare. I applaud those who do it. To understand this, means being willing to comprehend the association between rents, property valuations, and graffiti. This is the most important reason why graffiti exists. The average, stuffy unevolved paper-pusher will not pay €€€€€€€€ for a place if there is graffiti all around.

Good for 'us', and bad for 'those who are too anal about it'.

I don't care why children feel the need to gunk up buildings etc with graffiti. It's trashy. Trashy kids spray paint sides of buildings. Trashy kids scratch their initials into the sbahn windows. Trashy kids ruin bus stops with big black permanent markers writing very clever things like "Fuck school". It's got nothing to do with income. There's plenty of poor kids that don't go around doing that. They want class warfare? Perhaps they should try breathing in a few less paint fumes and learn to articulate themselves appropriately.

A fab example of class warfare on the S8 (in Munich).

post-5692-1165151339_thumb.jpg