Experience flying with United Airlines

68 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

What do they do with stewardesses when they get old and ugly? Do they put them down?

No, I think that many stewardesses in Europe leave by themselves before they turn 40, because you can't combine it really well with e.g. motherhood and who wants to be from home for several decades? In Europe, some stewardesses over 40 move from cabin staff to ground staff or customer service. I know that with KLM some young academic women become a stewardess, because they want to travel the world for some years and then they search for something else, more home-based.

Do the pilots get retired early too?  I know that some cabin crew and pilots switch to short haul when they have family.  BA now retires pilots at 60 with plans to extend to 64.

I think grumpy demeanor more to do with shitty working conditions than age.  Watch this about a flight attendeant working 57 years:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/05/29/oldest-flight-attendant/

Cabin crew's main  focus is passenger safety, and  we have ,hopefully,moved on from the 70s perception of  "Hot"  staff ( male or female!!)  That older, more experienced attendant may be your saviour in an emergency!!

Anyone read Chelsey Sullenberger's book Highest Duty: My Search for What Really Matters  & what he had to say on the subject?

(He of Hudson river fame).

19 hours ago, snowingagain said:

I know that some cabin crew and pilots switch to short haul when they have family.

My former neighbour is a stewardess for Lufthansa, and when she returned to work after she had her son she switched to long-haul flights. It meant that she was only away 3 or 4 times a month rather than 3 or 4 times a week.

On 5/18/2017, 12:58:57, AnswerToLife42 said:

What do they do with stewardesses when they get old and ugly?

They switch to the Air Berlin TXL-FFM route.

I quite like Air Berlin and their planes and hope that they don't bankrupt themselves despite their ongoing commitmemt to this cause.

Have however had too many surly flights with disagreeabe elderly staff to consider them anymore on what must be one of their more profitable routes. If LH is not available I will invest the extra hour of my time and take the ICE instead. I don't see it as a constructive use of my resources to volunteer myself for such a toxic environment.