Experience flying with United Airlines

68 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Elfenstar said:

And while I get the family was complaining, who took care of the grandmother on the way to LA? Who reclined her tray, prepared her food, etc. Was the accompanying passenger also traveling business or allowed to move back and forth from economy? Or did a flight attendant do all this?

From the FB bit in the article it appears that the aunt had been allowed to do these things for her on the outbound flight.

" My aunt traveling with her in Economy asked the Business Class flight attendant, Shauna, if my aunt can assist my grandma with simple tasks such as opening her fooUd or reclining her seat, similar to what my aunt helped with on her outbound flight."

UA assistance offered to semi ambulatory passengers:

Flight attendants will offer assistance to semi-ambulatory customers in getting to/from the seat during boarding and/or disembarkation and to/from the onboard lavatory. They may assist with loading and retrieving carry-on items and other assistive devices stowed on board the aircraft. They will also assist with meal preparation such as opening packages and identifying items. They cannot assist with any medical services, assistance inside the lavatory, or in actual feeding.

@kaffeemitmilch  There is a world of difference between Lufthansa and United on that route.  I used to fly the FRA-SFO or MUC-SFO route often and avoided United (super old planes, no free alcohol in economy!).  Lufthansa in my experience has much newer planes and thus a bit more comfortable (nothing is great in economy though) on these routes.  They code share these flights, so it's up to the "Operated by" portion to see those plane you are actually flying on. 

Lufthansa is light years better than United ever was, even when United was pretty ok (like, back in the 90's or something? :) )

If the the flight itself is operated by Lufthansa you should have a decent experience.

4 minutes ago, norcal_sf said:

no free alcohol in economy!

One of my favorite things about Lufthansa:  it seems as soon as the wheels are up after take off, they bring out the drink cart. They are VERY generous with the drinks - alcohol included, of course (even mixed drinks, last I flew)  From the takeoff greeting drinks, to the frequent offers to top off your wine around dinner, to the practically obligatory bailey's or cognac after dinner...very generous

This topic is getting a lot of coverage lately!

I am old enough to remember the early 60s when  my aunt went out   and bought a brand  a new outfit including hat,  matching bag and pumps (like the Queen)  to fly across Canada and we all got dressed up too and drove 2 hours  to the airport to see her off!  An event of huge proportions!

Now lots of  stressed out crabby staff and passengers all rather rumpled and unhappy to be where they are,  it seems. Flying cattleclass is not fun at all.  TIme for everyone  to bring out  the Sunday manners (and clothes?)

Oh yes,  and don't pack anything iffy in your  proper  regulated sized  carry-on suitcase especially a birthday cake...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4503800/JetBlue-boots-family-flight-birthday-cake.html

Good luck!  Hope you get sympathetic staff and good service.

I know it's been posted before on the site: a nice little  flying-stress buster singalong tune...

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

Lufthansa is light years better than United ever was, even when United was pretty ok (like, back in the 90's or something? :) )

This is true.

Trouble these days- all airlines have partnerships with others, so not always clear which airline is  yours today!

BTW- plane from Jamaica- Toronto made an emergency landing in Orlando. Apparently, some guy tried to open the door at 30,000 feet!

Trouble these days- all airlines have partnerships with others, so not always clear which airline is  yours today!

BTW- plane from Jamaica- Toronto made an emergency landing in Orlando. Apparently, some guy tried to open the door at 30,000 feet!

Yes this is so true! Complete chaos!

We flew with United to the USA a few years back. It was utter chaos. We started off with continental e-tickets. Then continental was bought by united leading them to reissue the E-tickets... However, we were actually flying with lufthansa star alliance in a lufthansa plane. We had loads of different numbers, the E-tickets issued by united did not work but after much searching we found another ticket number issued star alliance which we found searching our surname on the check in desk...

I've flown with United gazillions of times and I don't expect much and, therefore, am seldom disappointed. They are about the same as any other American carrier. I always fly in Economy Plus and don't mind paying for a drink or two. I'm über-polite to the staff and often get free drinks. I learned a long time ago that 2 drinks on an 8 -9 hr. flight is enough. I hate waking up all dehydrated and hungover on a plane. Sure, they've lost my luggage but always delivered it to me the next day. I've only encountered a few crabby crew but I don't pay that much attention.

Like everyone, I much prefer some European carriers as well as many Asian ones but I'm always shopping for cheap tickets. Can't be too choosy.

11 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I always fly in Economy Plus...

Have you flown with Lufthansa Premium Economy - and how do these two compare? Apparently the definition of what is an upgrade to the bog-standard Economy Class differs from airline to airline. Is it worth spending extra for United Economy Plus?

I've only ever flown with LHPE once (FRA-ATL) and was really impressed. It was definitely an experience I'd want to repeat ^_^

50 minutes ago, keroleen said:

Have you flown with Lufthansa Premium Economy - and how do these two compare?

Last year I did fly back from Seattle to Frankfurt on LH Premium Economy - our (international) company always book the cheapest seats but the trip had to be rescheduled at fairly short notice and so I ended up with Premium Economy on the return flight.

Facit (on a LH 747-400):

1) You get handed a menu in advance but its the same food as basic cattle class - you do get served first.

2) More space - both leg room (I'm 6' 4" tall) & sideways.  You can actually work with a laptop until the guy in front reclines his seat.

3) Not nearly as good as Business (having flown Business to US West coast & back twice for vacation using up my M&M "Miles" earned at the time when you got 100% miles for Economy travel & 3 trips a year was sufficient to maintain Silver status).

1 hour ago, keroleen said:

Have you flown with Lufthansa Premium Economy - and how do these two compare? Apparently the definition of what is an upgrade to the bog-standard Economy Class differs from airline to airline. Is it worth spending extra for United Economy Plus?

I've only ever flown with LHPE once (FRA-ATL) and was really impressed. It was definitely an experience I'd want to repeat ^_^

I don't have a lot of experience, but I think Lufthansa premium economy gives you more than United Economy plus.  I used it when I moved here with my cats, and it was $300 extra for the U.S. outbound flight.  I needed the extra baggage allowance it came with which I would have had to pay for anyway.  They let me pre-board with my in-cabin cat (some airlines won't consider passengers with pets to be worthy of pre-boarding), and I had plenty of legroom even with the cat taking up the under-seat spot.  In fact, my seatmates didn't even realize I had a cat under there until quite a ways into the flight.  Got the juice and water right away, real knives and forks at dinner, but the space was the real benefit, and in my recollection, United Economy Plus didn't give as much space, it was just a few rows in the main cabin that had a little extra space, like the bulkheads or emergency exits on the flight that I used it.  Check out https://www.seatguru.com/ for the specific flight, and see what you get.

What they said - more space which is worth the extra money for me. Many times the possibility of empty seats on which to spread out if the flight isn't full. I am a profi at commandeering whole center rows for sleeping. I always reserve an aisle seat in the middle. Say what one will, I find the food on the long flights to be acceptable. It has gotten a bad rap. There is nothing like the look of awe in the attendant's eyes when I say that I enjoyed my meal. That sometimes gets me a free drink, too.

I'm flying Lufthansa Premium Economy to Vancouver and home from Seattle in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if it is a United share or not.

seatguru.com is a great tool for making sure one isn't sitting next to a toilet or service area.

The extra space was great. We booked about six months in advance (at which point Economy and Premium Economy cost the same) and got the first-row seats in Premium Economy, just behind Business Class. I'm not small (about average height for a German) but I could fully extend my leg before I touched the partition wall in front of me. The seats were wider as well and had a leg rest.

The real advantage was the extra luggage though (2 pieces of 23kg each instead of just one - basically what the allowance on transatlantic flights used to be). It was great buying hardback books and Yankee Candles in jars without having to worry about the weight :) 

ETA: Of course I know about Seatguru, it's one of the few apps I have on my phone!

The only American airline I flew with was US Airways back in the 1990s. Cheap, but awful. Poor food and service. Grumpy old ladies as stewardesses, not one single hotty. Then, I flew with Iceland Air from Amsterdam to New York: all tall blond hot stewardesses, so it's possible :).

Oh my, that reminds me of our 2005 flight with Delta from Stuttgart to Atlanta: a sanctuary for stewardesses who were well past their prime (= about 6 months before retirement age). I think I called it a Gnadenhof für faltige Flugbegleiterinnen back then ;)

12 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Grumpy old ladies as stewardesses, not one single hotty. Then, I flew with Iceland Air from Amsterdam to New York: all tall blond hot stewardesses, so it's possible :).

Just over ten years ago we (2 adults + 2 kids) flew to Hawai'i over Christmas & New Year (financed by my mother after helping clear & sell the old house).

Since I was tied up with work my wife arranged the travel.  LH HAM=>FRA the SFR=>SFO with an ancient United 747 & on to Honolulu with a United 767.

Return from Maui to SFO with a (new) United 777 and then Lufthansa from SFO to MUC with an A340-600.

Before boarding the LH airbus I said to my wife "you'll notice the different with LH - the stewardesses are mostly half the age of United's & they all smile".

My wife disnmissed this as "Männergeschichte".

We boarded at SFO & we'd hardly sat down when my wife said "I take it all back - you were right".

Plus the A340-600 is very much quieter than the B747 - and the A380 even more so.