Experience flying with United Airlines

68 posts in this topic

Flying to the US next week with UA and have seen nothing but complaints about the airline on the web. Endless cancellations, delays and shitty customer service seem the norm and I am wondering if I should try to change to Lufthansa.

Any recent experiences ?

Marka, where are you stop overs. With United, it pays to *know* your terminals and your backup options. If you can switch to LH on intercontinental thats worth considering but that wont help you on the US domestic leg, as United is their alliance partner.

Don't they operate lots of flights as codesharing flights anyway? So even if you are booked on UA, you might end up on a LH plane, and vice versa... :unsure:

I flew in June with United from London to Los Angeles and had absolutely no problems. I was also a bit skeptical about it, but at the end it turned out to be a fair flight taking into account that I was flying economy. Dunno how may this have changed now due to all the new restrictions and regulations though.

I am flying from Munich to Washington direct, so no stop-overs. The only consolation at the moment is that it is a business ticket, so in the event of problems hopefully I don't get too screwed.

marka, I really don't think you are going to have a problem, especially with a direct flight. United isn't THAT bad.

Ah you've got a business class non-stop ticket you'll be absolutely fine. Im an LH groupie though so I still say switch. ;)

@Panama. Yeah I find with United the problem is the weather conditions at the various airports. United in good weather, usually no problem. United in bad weather big problem. Their flights are usually full if not overbooked so unless your travelling on a good class ticket and have access to the lounge, it can get quite painful.

UA 903? Generally a very good flight, my boss is on it fairly often and never complains. One delay that I can recall in almost three years.

I flew with them earlier this year after 10 gruelling days in California saying good-bye to my Dad and grandmother while my Ma had a knee replacement. When I explained that I needed a certain amount of peace and quiet and space they changed our seats to bulkhead right away - didn't quite get an upgrade to business ;)

Don't they operate lots of flights as codesharing flights anyway?

not postitive, but i think yes. Most United flights are also Lufthansa.

I've flown 3 or so times roundtrip in the past year on UA/LH back and forth from Germany to the US and have had no problems, of course there were delays, but they were not because of the airline, but becuase of O'Hare delyaing flights earlier that day due to thunderstorms

UA 903 is the exact flight. Nice Boeing 777 but I have been stunned by the level of complaints you can find on the web about UA.

UA903 is Flown with UA Planes and Crew... - Aircraft type: Boeing 777-200/300

Lufthansa also codeshares with this flight and its known to Lufthansa as LH9208

If you were to change to the 15:15 Flight (UA8785/LH414) the airplane and crew would be from Lufthansa.

Aircraft type: Airbus A340-300

So what does it mean when my ticket confirmation states "LH 9289, operated by United Airlines UA 0903" ??

Is this a UA or LH flight ?

UA 903 is the exact flight. Nice Boeing 777 but I have been stunned by the level of complaints you can find on the web about UA.

If you mean my diatribes on the vent (posts #404,407,431) - yes, their booking service does need overhauling. But the flights were always pleasant, decent food, friendly staff, good entertainment.

The downside to international flights run by United are that you have to pay for any beer or wine you might want. On Lufthansa, beer and wine are included in the regular beverage service (with meals.) :)

@Marka, the problem in the US with United is that the level of airline service has gone down so far and so quickly that you've got a lot of the business travel who still compare it with either the goo old days or with the higher end international flyers. Jeeze even I remember when travelling with United was something to be pleased about...ah well. Anyway, nostalgia, comparison and the fact that prices are still sky high are all reflected in the web rants.

FYI: for major domestic carriers I prefer Continental to United or American but they dont have any meaningful alliances, either to BA or to LH to make it worthwhile for most europeans.

Actually I was referring more to complaints like the following ...

http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=16019

http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=16061

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews-all-2229.html

Someone at UA really should take notice of these comments. It is amazing that anyone uses them. I did read though that they are quite cheap in comparison to other airlines.

As long as I get there in one piece and with a few beer nuts and a glass or two of good wine down my neck, I am not too bothered.

The only time I have problems with UA is when flying into Chicago. Other than that no problems.

@perdido - Let me know next time you are over by dere and I'll make sure you are taken care of. I gots a guy. B)

JJ- want to hook me up with your guy too? Are you in with Al Capone's group?