Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dates for putting up Christmas decorations

29 posts in this topic

I seem to recall that the Germans decorate their houses for Christmas earlier than we normally do in the UK (12 days of Christmas etc). Can anyone shed some light on this and let me know what the tradition is here in Germany?

Thanks

The first advent kicks off the season. Some save the tree for Christmas Day though.

As far as I'm aware, the 12 Days of Christmas refer to after Christmas (I'm happy to be corrected on this!). The Christmas tree goes up on St. Nikolaus Day (24th December) and stays up until the 6th January. Other decorations, as eurovol says, go up on the first Advent, i.e. the fourth Sunday before Christmas (usually the first weekend of December; this is also when the Christmas markets open).

Edit: ooh, I was right! :) Wikipedia: 12 Days of Christmas

St. Nikolaus Day (24th December)

Wrong about this, though. ;) St. Nicholas is on December 6th.

Ive seen people puting them up on houses over a month ago.

post-5050-1164040149.jpg

The joys of Christamas in England lol i will try and get some pics over the next few weeks, there realy are some bad ones out there

The first advent kicks off the season. Some save the tree for Christmas Day though.

Traditionally the German housewife decorates the tree on Christmas Eve (24th).

We always do it a few days earlier :)

Germans tend to put up a creche, one figure or one group of figures each day starting on December 1 and finishing with the Christlkindl on December 24. They also have an Advent wreath with four candles and light a new candle each Advent Sunday. The tree is generally put up on the 24th as well.

Another nice tradition is cutting cherry branches and putting them into a vase on December 4 (St. Barbara) so that they begin budding for Christmas.

xmas eve is my family's tradition back home and my wife's family‘s tradition here in germany to. always buy the tree at about 12 oclock on xmas eve. surprisingly cheaper then. last year was 3.5 metres for twenty euros.

They are often mad enough to attach REAL candles to a tinder-try Christmas tree in an effort to torch the place up!

If you plan on doing this check your insurances first :)

@HEM - um nooooo -- they still put real candles on the tree because it's theoretically still fresh and green as they've only put it up Dec. 24. If you've put up your tree on Dec. 1 or so, it will be dried out tinder by Xmas...

But they dont chuck the tree out on the 26th & I've seen enough people trying to light their candles at least a week later & wonder why I move to the furthest point in the room...

But they dont chuck the tree out on the 26th & I've seen enough people trying to light their candles at least a week later & wonder why I move to the furthest point in the room...

you usualy put the candles on the outer parts of branches where they can not burn anything. dont be silly.

The tree should stay up until Epiphany (6 January) but my late ex-in-laws kept theirs until Lady's Day (2 February). Talk about tinderbox! Sure, they had a huge, full watering can next to the tree but considering their physical frailty they would never have hoisted it to the top of a burning tree flanked by a tv set and tons of decade-old books in wooden bookcases. I'm surprised they both died a natural death.

In my family, my Mom always put up decorations right after Thanksgiving. Since Santa is always the last balloon/float in the Macy's Thankgiving Day Parade, it's traditional to start preparing for Christmas as soon as Thanksgiving is over.

I don't know about tradition but I usually put my christmas tree up around 5th-6th december and take it down just before new year, I Like to get it all out of the way so I don't have to do it with an hangover :-)

You haven't got them up yet?

The chocolate santas have been in the stores for three weeks. Already on like my fifth one, with no stopping.

(My "Easter Break" is that hell desert between when the Chocolate Santas are sold out completely (at half price) and when the chocolate Easter bunnies start popping up).

NIKOLAUS!!!

OSTERHASEN!!!

I love buying this stuff like that and then leaving it around the apartment for the local roommates to experience.

If they ask about it, you make like "Oh, isn't that the custom? It was already in YOUR stores"