Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Homework in grade four Grundschule

45 posts in this topic

My son is in grade 4 this year and is having quite a bit of homework. Last night he had about 3.5 hours :blink: . I realize that this is a very important year but that is a little much. I expect a little more homework because he only is there most days until one. He is also taking computers and a reading group so two days he is there until 3.

Is this normal?

The homework was 2 pages of math, 1 page of HSU, a poem to memorize, a story to write, a page of english and a page of religion

Is he in a German school? My children are and the amount of homework is sometimes ridiculous...

yes he is in a german school. I realize it takes a little longer because I am helping him and I sometimes need to translate things.

Sounds normal to me. But you are not supposed to be helping him with his homework.

He is starting to stress about this because his teacher told the class that when they start gymnasium the homework can sometimes double what it is now. :o

If he can't do the homework now without your help, then he will have a hard time in Gymnasium with or without it. Not every child in Germany goes to Gymnasium, not every ex-pat kid in Germany goes to gymnasium, so maybe he doesn't need to stress about it as much.

from talking to multiple parents at the kids school here in Gruenwald i agree with most of them. Yes, they get heaps of homework, but the teachers know what is a reasonable amount and if it's taking your kid abnormally long (liek 3-4hours) then perhaps the work is too hard for him and he's not up to par with the standards set for his level. Or is he not full out concentrating, but rather slacking around and slowly doing the work instead of setting to it and getting it finished?

-not trying to be harsh about perhaps he's just not up to the level required for his grade yet, but it happens and there's nothing wrong with it.

He could do his homework by himself but I always thought it was part of my job as a parent to help him with it. It gives us time to spend together, I find out about what his day was like and what he is learning. He is too cool to spend too much time with me outside of homework so this is part of our quality time together. :lol:

he was always an honour student in Canada and had mostly 2's on his report card last year in Germany, so I don't think it is too difficult. I guess I am just being selfish for him. He also plays hockey three nights a week and tourneys most weekends. It just seems he has no free time to just hang out.

i refuse to help much with homework and when i was a kid i refused to get help much with it too.

If the kid doesn't understand i'll look and try to explain what the exercise is asking and sometimes i'll check over the work (now less so than before) to make sure they grasp the concept they're being taught and are not doing crap work just to get it done or making foolish mistakes they know better than, but i refuse to do more than answer questions to clarify and when it's all over quickly check it. It's their work and the teacher needs to see what the student is understanding (or isn't).

I was about to write much the same thing so thanks for doing my (home)work for me, mere. :D

@hw

Of course you can be around while he's doing his homework, esp. to make sure he understands what's expected of him, to help him memorise the poem, and so on, but don't be tempted to correct his work. As teachers (rightly) point out, they need to see what the child knows, not what the parents know!

thanks guys :)

It will actually make things a little easier at home since while I am trying to help with homework I have a two year old to contend with

The amount of homework sounds the same my son had last year in the 4th grade. Now in Gymnasium IMO it is less than that, but for example Math teacher said us at the parents' evening that we should give a child to do some additional work.

I don't do homework with him, I check what I can check (he is far better than me in German) and say him, in which exercise he had made a mistake and tell him he needs to correct it and do one more additional exercise. What irritates me most is that he never do real mistakes, he just doesn't pay enough attention i.e. subtracting instead of adding etc.

:unsure: My mom and I always did my homework together. Or, better said, I'd do the homework and then we'd go through it together. It was like having my own private tutor who helped me understand a lot of things that maybe weren't quite clear to me the first time around. Is that a bad thing? :blink: She also spent a lot of time helping me prepare for tests, gave me additional exercises to study with, etc. I thought it was fabulous- and it is a way for parents and kids to bond. Then again, my mom made me do homework and read books during summer vacation too. <_<

@Jenny L

my mom always did the same as well, that is why I thought I should be. We have had to stop with our Geography lessons on Canada because there just isn't enough time in the day :(

helping and stuff i don't see as a problem, especially when they are younger, but as the child gets older i think they need to take on more of the responsibility, especially for day to day homework. If it's a large test/exam i think that's a bit different and it's great that Jenny L's mom made up extra exercises.

Jenny L- i had to read and do stuff over the summer too, but it was no problem since i like school and learning and love to read.

What irritates me most is that he never do real mistakes, he just doesn't pay enough attention i.e. subtracting instead of adding etc.

Those kind of mistakes piss off Germans more than just getting the answer wrong. Being careful enough to follow directions (including + and -) is more important than being able to do the math, because it's a habit/skill essential in any area.

Just my 1+1 cents.

People are talking about the wrong thing here.

To me, that sounds like a freaking shitload of homework, but I guess I can understand seeing as kids here do two hours less than kids in most other 1st world countries. Maybe they should be kept at school for a reasonable amount of hours so that they can have their evenings free of homework and their parents can actually work full time.