Threatening behaviour from a neighbour

31 posts in this topic

We live above a delightful little flower shop in Schwabing our kids room is above the flower shop and because the house is altbau every movement is heard below. We have tried everything to minimise kinderlarm.

However the wonderful gentleman who works in the afternoon (one of the well mannered bavarian types) aggresively pushed his broom into me as I came back into the house hard enough to be threatening. I told him not to do such a thing. The wonderful reply "Halts Maul du Arschloch" which I can only translate as " Iam exceptionally sorry, I didnt see that your six foot two frame was maybe in my way" was his response.

I asked him not to talk to me in such a manner as being English I am uncertain when to use the Sie or Du form, at which point being an obviously short sighted gentleman he at a distance of 15 - 20 cm suggested that he could maybe arrange for cheap plastic surgey on my face, especially my nose as well as aranging for our children to be taken away and a permanent vacation for me in England. Although these threats are more than a little on the pathetic side, I am beginning to find his humour rather simplistic. :angry:

I was in England I would have probably reacted other than I did. He is threatening me but also behaving in a way which frightens our children. I need to know how I can go further with this as It is not acceptable It is scaring our children and I am not prepared to be threatened infront of my own front door. I have no personal fear from this gentleman but I know that certain more anglicistic solutions can lead to problems in Germany.

Any advice.

Mention the war?

Seriously, that is way out of order. Firstly because children making noise has to be accepted. Kids can be loud so he should get over it and secondly, saying "Halts Maul du Arschloch" is Beleidigung, threaten him with legal action if his attitude is so socially sub-normal that conversation is useless.

Or just kill him;)

Oh, and post his phone number and I'll call him, der Saukrippe!

I don't know, if he's threatening your children I would get the police involved. If he's bold enough to approach you that way, who knows what he's capable of with your children when you're not around. I would let him know you're not fooling around, and mean business.

Again, if it was just you maybe another solution would suffice. But when kids are involved - no way.

dont mess around, he threatened the kids. call the police. end of story.

I agree, at the moment YOU are totally within the law and have every ground to report him to the Police.

Don't do anything silly to change that status, just report him to the Police and also the Landlord & Hausverwaltung.

Witneses would be good.

If you do get the landlord / hauswewaltung involved but especally if it is the police, I'd make sure you have somone with confident German with you.

And I'd be tempted to do it in writing, not any "mediation" with this tosser downstairs.

I would definitely call the police if it happens again. He sounds like a real bully and if you show that you will not accept his behaviour, he will probably move on to pick on someone else. How about calling the police and taking them into the flower shop to point out the offender in front of his customers? If you do this each time it happens, he - or his boss - may decide enough is enough. I have had a couple of little 'experiences' with neighbours - although nothing like this - but after a few words exchanged we now politely ignore each other.

Also, you don't mention whether the man owns the shop or just works there. If he's an employee (preferably one not in the owner's family), you should definitely complain to the shop owners. You'd think they'd want to be on good terms with the neighbors, and having a bully for an employee won't promote that at all, especially if you're not the only one on the other side of this guy's broom.

most bavarians shout and rant a lot but when it comes to the crunch they tend to lose their bottle.the next time he threatens you just pretend to phone the police on your mobile,he,ll soon be quiet.if that fails call the police for real.

what a d***head. (sorry for my language!)

tell him your kids will be paying his pension so he better be nice!

if he doesn't want noise, he should get his own house. you live the city, you have to accept certain things ie noisy neighbours.

Sneak up behind him. Then put your left hand around his jaw and your right hand across the back of his head. Twist his head in an anti-clockwise direction until you hear a crunching sound and he slumps to the floor. That's how Jack Bauer would deal with the situation, and anyone who tries to p1ss him off always ends up regretting it.

most bavarians shout and rant a lot but when it comes to the crunch they tend to lose their bottle.the next time he threatens you just pretend to phone the police on your mobile,he,ll soon be quiet.if that fails call the police for real.

I had some hassle with a gf's ex husband one time and he told her he was gonna kill me & she would know what it'd be like to see English blood running through the streets of Munich!!! I immediately went round to see him & offered him the chance to go outside bla bla bla. He ended up in tears & couldn't say sorry enough.

Without tempting fate I'd have to agree with Cavalier. Don't take his shit.

Do not at all accept this crap.Take action now and go to the police.Get them involved because if anything comes up in the future you are covered.If he touches youre kids smack him, making sure there are no witnesses around.Even if you have no witnesses the police have to act on your complaint.When he sees the police are involved he will back off.They always do, get the police involved and he will back off.

don't threaten to go to the police, go to them now and report him.

should anything ever happen in the future, it's on record that you already filed a complaint against him.

good luck :)

Hi

Have the same problem , my son 2 and half years old , moves a lot , runs and loves to play.

But i live in a 7 floor flat and live top most floor. And house is filled with old people

First day we moved in , the old pair came in the name of just to get to know us but the old

man said if theres any noise he will come up and complain, but jokingly. I thought also too.

But every month atleast once he comes up when my son jumps around or if some visitors come

with their children. They are so intolerant inspite of the fact that we put my son at 9 PM to

sleep. and also from 1 PM to 3 PM.

Inspite of all this they cannot even tolrate for one exceptional day when visitors come. Such

intolerance. Now i understand why the population of germany going down. No wonder when people

dont understand small children.

I am tired of his compalaints. when i asked my house owner who is a wohnungsgesellschaft they

say the same statment that in ruhezeit children have to be quiet but not clear answer of what

in non-ruhzeit times.

So when the old ones come up and ring our house bell, i simply dont open the door. This way

i save my nerves.

Let see how this develops.

May be some one here have expeirence to put a foam matress or carpet sort of thing on the floor

so when the child jumps , it makes less noise. ???

Regards

:(:( :(

Apparently it's childrens right to play and all that but what your neighbours hear is a little elephant running across their ceiling. Back and forth.. back and forth.. all day. It's very annoying when it's not your kid. A carpet would definitely help a lot and you can take the kid to the park too when you want to give them a break.

It's a tough one. You have every right to have children and children inevitably make a lot of noise; not just running around but also crying, shouting, etc. On the other hand, I work from home and if my upstairs neighbours were to have children, I'd probably be forced to move. Do try to see things from your neighbours' perspective as well; a nice thick carpet and long walks and/or trips to the playground as suggested above will certainly help give your neighbours a break. Does your son go to daycare; is the problem because it's the summer holiday?

my son is only around 11 kgs , that cannot a small elephant

but there should be a degree of noise acceptance , he is definitely not

so loud as our other neighbours we know who live in nearby flats.

i will definitely try to put one layer of carpet more to reduce the noise level

but one thing is sure , degree of tolerance for children is less here