Kassen- und Steueramt took money from my account

9 posts in this topic

F***ing hell, just noticed that Kassen- und Steueramt had withdrawed 221 euros from my account. Have no idea what for. Looked up at the muenchen.de. This is an office obviously responsible for Gewerbesteuer (as long as I understand). But I'm not registered as Gewerbe, I'm freelancer. I'm clear with the taxes for last year.

Before you tell me that I should call there (well I know that I should call there, I just should first gather some courage to call some civil servant in German) I just want to ask if anybody ever had similar experience.

Even if I do have to pay something shouldn't they first inform me?! :angry: Or is it a normal procedure that they just take whatever money they want from my account?

Hmm.. do you have a tax consultant? When I got my check for tax back (sorry to rub it in), they asked for my bank info for the next year so that they wouldn't have to send a check, rather put the money directly in my account..

maybe they just take it out if you owe? Usually they'd inform you that your papers went through..

The Verwendungszweck part of your bank statement should tell you exactly what the payment was for.

Edit: The only thing I ever had to pay the Kassen- und Steueramt for was a Strassensperre to make space on the street for the removal van when I moved into a new apartment.

Kassen- und Steueramt don't have anything to do with Finanzamt and income tax. Natalia, did you register as anything recently? I wouldn't bother calling the guys and trying to explain, fax them a copy of your bank statement and ask for an invoice. Follow up on the fax by telephone about a week later.

.. is it a normal procedure that they just take whatever money they want from my account?

They should have informed you, but it may have been a while ago. At some point you must have also given them your bank details and authority to make the deductions in the first place... The "Verwendungszweck" in the bank statement should summarise why they took it.

They don't do just Gewerbesteuer, but pretty much all things financial. As a home owner, I pay them quarterly for Grundsteuer. They take it out since I signed a mandate allowing them to do so, but they do at least put in the Verwendungszweck that it's for Grundsteuer for my address.

Edit: YL6 pretty much beat me to it.

Thanks guys,

maybe they just take it out if you owe? Usually they'd inform you that your papers went through..

No, in 2005 I earned ridiculous amount of money, and earlier this year got Steuerbescheid stating I don't have to pay anything. Maybe I should reread it. With the dictionary this time.

The Verwendungszweck part of your bank statement should tell you exactly what the payment was for.

Today I was only able to see it online, there I couldn't see Verwendungszweck.

Edit: The only thing I ever had to pay the Kassen- und Steueramt for was a Strassensperre to make space on the street for the removal van when I moved into a new apartment.

Aha, how much did you pay? I didn't move recently.

Kassen- und Steueramt don't have anything to do with Finanzamt and income tax. Natalia, did you register as anything recently? I wouldn't bother calling the guys and trying to explain, fax them a copy of your bank statement and ask for an invoice. Follow up on the fax by telephone about a week later.

Thanks sarabyrd,

No, I did not. Thanks for the advice. Sounds reasonable.

They should have informed you, but it may have been a while ago. At some point you must have also given them your bank details and authority to make the deductions in the first place... The "Verwendungszweck" in the bank statement should summarise why they took it.

Yes, sure, when I submitted tax declaration for 2005 I gave my bank details. :unsure:

Today I was only able to see it online, there I couldn't see Verwendungszweck.

Doesn't your online view of the statement allow you to click on an item for an expanded explanation of an entry?

Aha, how much did you pay? I didn't move recently.

I just checked my statements and found that it was only 26 euros to the Kassen- und Steueramt.

(and then some more to a private company to deliver, set up, and later remove the "no parking" signs)