Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Absolut Englischer Garten

40 posts in this topic

It an indication of pure quality. as thats what an English garden means to continentals. pur quality and nothing beats it.

This is a plea from the bottom of my heart: PLEASE STOP POSTING NONSENSE!!! Almost everything you write is pure and total rubbish.

An "English Garden" is not a garden of "pure quality". An English garden is one without a formal layout and is contrasted with a French Garden, which is formally laid out, frequently in Baroque style.

So far from being a term of quality, the term "English Garden" is simply a polite way of saying "lots of grass, with a few trees and ponds thrown in for good luck".

Small Town Boy

Dont be so ignorant . Do you not know that the world admires English gardens so much the are envied in most countries. Just as Rolls Royce used to stand for motoring excelence ( before the Germans got hold of it)

an English garden stands for excelence.

So instead of critisising why dont you come up with a reason why.

Dont be so ignorant [...] stand for motoring excelence [...] instead of critisising

If all things English are so great, why don't you bother with the language?

The bottle's naked?

I saw the ad a few days ago and was as confused as Pootle. Reading this thread I think Wheel's answer is probably what they originally intended. IMHO a not very creative attempt to tie their ad campaign with a local landmark. Whatever. Vodka all tastes the same to me, anyway ...

an English garden stands for excelence.

NO IT DOESN'T! It refers only to the design of the garden. There is no inference about the quality!

And as for you calling me ignorant... well, really.

I accept (because this is obviously what you want to hear) that gardens belonging to houses are generally much nicer in England than in Germany. But that is irrelevant here; the name 'Englischer Garten' derives from the style of the park (large open spaces, no formal gardens) and has nothing to do with the perceived quality. Have you ever actually been to the Englischer Garten in Munich?

It is bigger than New York's famous Central Park but smaller than Phoenix Park in Dublin and Sutton Park in England. The name refers to the style of gardening; the term English garden is used outside of the English speaking world to refer to the style of informal landscape gardening which was popular in the United Kingdom from the mid 18th century to the early 19th century, and is particularly associated with Capability Brown.

Clicki Wiki

Vodka all tastes the same to me, anyway ...

The main difference is whether it burns its way down the throat or whether it is smooth and pleasant to drink. A recent (albeit very unscientific) survey on the BBC News website put Absolut Vodka in the former category, and it ranked as the worst of the four vodkas being tested - by some margin.

Stepping blind into the vodka war

All this talk of the Englisher Garten is starting to depress me, I love the winter, but thinking that I won't be able to sit in it with a maß for another 5-6 months is dragging me down. :(

Obviously we would need to hear from some non-Munich Toytowners about whether Absolut has placed this ad in other cities. Then we'd know if it's specific to Munich's English Garden (which I suspect it is), and not meant to be general English gardens.

I get the tram at Paradiesstr every morning ie right next to the EG and even with a marketing background struggle to understand the Absolute EG advert ... But let's be honest, is that not what makes an excellent marketing campaign : one that people talk about ? It will stick in your mind the next time you want some 40% amber nectar ... :rolleyes: Talking of which, it's Friday night, where is the vodka ?

I myself have made quite a hobby in the past few years trying to sort out German ads and newspaper headlines. Makes me almost regret actually learning German so that most of the time I can use the text to decipher them these days!