Indoor swimming pools in Munich

27 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have been wondering about where are the best places to go swimming in Munich, so far have found - olympic swimmhalle, norbad, westbad...

Which one is the cheapest, closest to hauptbahnhof and doesn't require you buying a monthly ticket like olympiazentrum? All I want is somewhere with a fairly large pool, outdoors and indoors possibly, where I can swim for a couple of hours at weekend or during the day and only spend say 5EUR for two hours?

Does one exist?

Many thanks!

post-1-1090420415.jpg

You don't need to get a monthly ticket for the Olympic swimming pool.

You can get a single day ticket for €3 or a 6er for €15.

Take a look at the SWM site for swimming pools. Just click on the pool you're interested in - none of them are really close to the Hbf but most of them are relatively central.

If you want something close to the HBF, you might check out the Müllerisches Volksbad, which is 5 minutes from the Isartor S-bahn station. Because of the shortness of the pools, the MVb doesn't cut the mustard if you want olympic-style swimming. If you're not training for a triathalon or a channel swim it's worth your visit because it's quite nice inside and out. It's a beautiful Jugendstil building with two pools and a sauna and even masseuses (I just swam so I can't relate any experiences with the latter two features).

I was in Nordbad the other day. It was 3.20 for 3 hours. They have a 25m pool that reasonable for doing laps in, a steamroom, outdoor pool and a jacuzzi. Best one for training in that I have been to - thought I have yet to hit olympiazentrum

The Dantebad is also a 50m olympic pool, great for training and pretty much chlorine free. But you will need a €1 coin as the summer changing rooms are now open, so no cards...

Nice pool in Gern: Dantebad. Very nice, one main 50 metre pool, one nice swirly bubly thing and 3 other unheated pools. They are all outside but only the outer three are unheated and, apparently, it is a big Munich thing to swim there in the midst of deep winter. We went at the wekend and it was really good, a nice clean place where you can even get currywurst and a beer!

Westbad in Pasing (but easy to get to). Indoors and outdoors pool; indoor pool with bubbly things, steam room, waterslides etc. Particularly good: moonlight swimming: every night from 9.30 to 11 for about 3€, including sauna.

I used to go there a lot, can really recommend it.

Alpamare is fun with a group. They have indoor (knee, standing) surfing too - in case smacking the stone walls flanking the Isar does not sound appealing. Beware the slides though - at least one has a nasty drop, followed by an immediate turn which can be described as "forehead-enhancing".

Alpamare is great fun for young and old, in both summer and winter - they have some neat outdoor heated pools (to around 30deg C) which are great to sit in while the snow is falling around you... It's pretty expensive though...

Cosimabad in Bogenhausen has a nice wave pool...

YL6

hmm this alpamare place sounds kinda neat... how far is it from munich? are the slides indoor or out?

Alpamare is in Bad Tölz, south of Munich see http://www.alpamare.de/de/kontakt/index.php

The slides and fun stuff are all indoors. http://www.alpamare.de/de/tour/index.php shows a cutaway plan of the place. There are also sauna, sunbeds, health spa, turkish baths, indoor surfboarding, a restaurant and the like. You pay a set fee to enter and use all equipment for a fixed amount of tíme...

In the summer there are wide-open grassy areas for sun-bathing...

YL6

I like the Phoenixbad in Ottobrunn. Indoor pool, and lots of different saunas with year-round heated outdoor pool. Wellness services, massage, and sonnenstudios too. Also a not too bad restaurant and bar accessible from the public side or the sauna side.

Depends on what you're looking for.

Müllerischen Volksbad is great on Rosenheimerplatz.It is beautiful inside, modelled after the Romer Baths and not stinking so strong of clorine.They have a large swimming pool for laps and a smaller heated one for relaxing or exercises.It has also a sauna but of course that is extra. Swimming costs 3.50 EU and you can swimm as long as you wish.they are also opened until 11 pm, very convenient. If you are interested in going together, email me please at creativepro@gmx.de.

Great, thanks a lot. But is swimming possible? i have been to Nordbad once, and the problem was that there are no lanes, so that every time I reached one of the edge of the pool (normal direction, long side!) I was crashing against old people doing aquagym in the perpendicular direction, young girls dancing here and there and, even worst, boy diving in a dangerous way! Are there lanes in those pools or I'll have to avoid these kind of people?