Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Berlin to lead the way for smoking ban in Germany

94 posts in this topic

Yes, or the same person that won't let me leave the window open because the draft will make them sick, smokes a pack a day...hmmm

URGH why is it so hard for people to understand -smoking (in a closed environment especially) is dangerous and totally inconsiderate (esp to the people that need to make a living there ie bar /kitchen staff, musicians). I love the reference that someone else made about farting in their faces - thats how i think of cigarette smoke...see how they would like it, or the other suggestion about spraying a really offensive odour into their clothes, hair and faces so they would understand the eye watering misery that is created by puffy smokers who continue to disregard other people's health whilst thinking they look really cool and hip (oohhhh but im addicted -whatever just dont kill everyone else at the same time). And you can bring up as many arguments as u think are relevant about rights of the person to smoke but i hope u know underneath that you are being completely obnoxious (and stinky). Give up your habit and free the rest of us - you might even enjoy it. If you want to smoke do it in your own home, or even better shit in the corner and see if that works for you, its just as digusting and filthy. LONG LIVE WHATEVER FRESH AIR IS LEFT IN THIS WORLD.

They can't understand it because addictions make people totally selfish.

Yes, I am calling you all selfish. The ban WILL happen so have fun. If it inconveniences you THAT much you can quit. Problem solved.

Wow berlingal. Are you sure you are German?

Strong sentiment coming from a national. Practically every German I have met, am related to or work with, smokes (well except my mother-in-law and my wife's Grandmother and my neighbor)

My wife quit cold turkey when I told her how much I hate smoking (it shows you that, with the proper motivation, anyone can quit)

Back in Canada I knew one smoker in my whole circle of friends (and he was actually German) and except for the odd stranger passing by I hardly ever came across a smoker.

To hear a German national talk like you is..well...pretty incredible. I wish more Germans thought like you do.

A lot of young Germans do. I have a lot of German friends (all under 30) and none of them smoke. Not a single one, and most of them are even disgusted by smoking.

I'd like to meet some of your friends, at my last job I was the ONLY non-smoker in a shop with 18 people. Someone offers me a cigarette and I say that I don't smoke and they look at me like I'm some sort of freak of nature.

I know things are changing, and I am very very very thankful and full of anticipation!

I didn't actually consciously make so many non smoking friends but it must have been somewhat subconscious. It's really pleasant to go out with them, because even though tons of people are smoking at least no one is smoking at my table! And they never whine that my apartment is 'non smoking' only.

Is there any actual news on this? I find it quite funny that the original post, from Nov. 2006, says that Berlin will set a precedent for the other federal states. Meanwhile, nothing in Berlin yet while others have raced (OK, crawled) forward.

I haven't heard anything about this for what seems like a very long time now. Does anyone know if this is going to happen? I personally don't think it matters, as it will never be enforced in Berlin, but that's another issue.

In Berlin, the "Non-Smokers' Protection Law" (Nichtraucherschutzgesetz) will come into force on January 1, 2008. The main effect will be to generally ban smoking in cafés, restaurants, bars and even discos - except where a completely separate room is available, which may be designated as a smoking room. Just how well this law will be enforced remains to be seen: the city's boroughs don't have enough resources to do more than symbolic spot checks,

However I have heard that the will not start fining people until Aug 2008. (not sure how true that is).

How the will implement this law in practice I have no idea.

It all started pretty quietly here in Hessen ...no big song and dance..31/9 there were ashtrays in pubs and cafes, 1/10 - all removed... a few more non-smoking signs in the U Bahn...

Haven't come across any real policing of it

How the will implement this law in practice I have no idea.

Well the total lack of any sort of public information campaign two months before implementation should give us a clue.

There are a lot of things that are technically forbidden in Berlin: dogs of their line, dogs crapping on the sidewalk, grafitti, underage drinking, underage smoking, smoking in train stations, etc. I see no reason why this will be any different.

I'm guessing places near the main tourist sites will follow it, but nobody else will.

Thanks for the info, anyway.

I think there's an unofficial guideline which gives a six month grace period before they really start enforcing, or trying to enforce anything.

The situation is improving little by little, I keep hearing about restaurants etc. who have renovated or something and have already gone smoke-free. There's a website called Berlin für Nichtraucher which lists smoke-free places (probably not all of them though).

I was in the UK recently and it was wonderful. I can put up with gaggles of people smoking on the street if I'm sure I'm not going to meet them anyswhere else.

Erdbeer is non smoking and it's not particularily touristy.

Despite what smokers think, there are LOTS of Berliners (more than half the population, actually...we're the majority) that don't smoke and a lot of those people who don't like being surrounded by smoke.

"Der Kalte Truthan!!! Has got me... on the run" (Sorry, John Lennon! :ph34r: )

Mixed emotions...

As an "Atem-Therapeut", I want you to stop smoking, okay?

But as a "Realist" , I am glad that you do...! :lol:

Where is Molly now that I need her??? :D

Der "Q"

the smoking ban came in at home (queensland australia) last june. i'm a smoker but since i was working in a bar at the time i LOVED the ban. it actually worked in the favour of the bar as the venue wasn't very easy to see from the street, but all the smokers hanging outside brought more people in.

in other bars and clubs though everyone ends up smoking in the toilets past 3am since we have "lockdown". if you're not in the club before 3 you can't get in. so the toilets are filled with smoke instead of the club.