Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Berlin to lead the way for smoking ban in Germany

94 posts in this topic

Your comic skills aside, if you have to go the loo 10 times in one evening then I feel very sorry for your liver, kidneys, stomach and family and friends when they have to visit you in hospital after your first bout of pancreatitus.

As you seem to have realised, I was making a sarcastic joke, which was meant to reinforce the point that people do not have unrestricted freedoms and "rights".

I am constantly amazed how alcohol is so tolerated in our society. Its perfectly ok, even amusing, that people drink illegally on the streets, who cares if they then piss on every corner, turn residential areas and city streets into rubbish heaps full of broken glass, drink way in excess of recommended amounts, block traffic, frighten old people and prevent them from going out or even to the shops, have blackouts, puke all over the place, and act the idiot or even worse hurt and insult people.

These things you mention are mostly not ok. You will get locked up or a fine for pissing on the street, littering, blocking traffic, being a nuisance and insulting people here in Germany regardless of whether you are drunk or not. Just as you should.

But no way can smokers have a smoking section that not one non-smoker ever has to enter...

Staff have to enter this room, which is the reason it will be banned. In any case, I believe in Germany a small smoking room will be allowed.

I have said over and over again that no smokers should be smoking in non-smoking places, no non-smoker should have to suffer any inconsiderate behaviour by smokers and it is common sense that smoking sections have to be located in places that non-smokers do not have to walk through etc.

As I've said over and over again, this law is not about protecting patrons, it's about protecting staff.

If one insists on the ban, then the only unhypocritical thing to do is to make smoking a criminal offence and to introduce huge taxes on petrol, diesel, fatty foods, mobile phones and industry, to name a few of the worst offenders and pollutants that are still legal.

Fatty foods causes no one problems except the person that eats too much of them. Nor does your previous example of Alcohol. Mobile phones can be a nuisance, but they won't kill innocent bystanders. Pollutants like petrol are being taxed to try to reduce the amount they are being used, but cars/trucks form the basis of our society and without them we couldn't function. Smoking has no such public purpose, so I see nothing wrong with it being banned in public. Note that I am totally against banning cigarettes in general, what you want to do on your own is up to you.

Like I said to you in the other thread (it would be better if we could keep this argument to one thread though really) - The law is being brought in to protect workers. You can stop with your selfish theories and suggestions now - there is only one solution to this problem - ban smoking in the workplace. Every worker should have the right to work in a safe work environment, and one filled with smoke is not that. As I said, it's just a bonus for the non-smoking majority that they'll be able to go to the restaurant/pub in peace now.

interesting items about Germany's first anti-smoking campaign

during the 30s, under the Nazis

And there we go, Godwin's Law works in Germany as well.

Not at all applicable. I am not comparing the current anti-smoking campaigners to Nazis, we are not on the slippery slope to incinerating smokers.

I myself am a smoker, but am all in favour of forbidding smoking in public places. It is my private enjoyment and I do not need to share it with non-smokers.

My point is that Germany started an anti-smoking campaign much earlier than other countries,

and in certain ways this has complicated the current efforts for regulating smoking.

Hitler was a vegetarian, into anthroposophy, a dog-lover and strongly anti-smoking. Does his other activities invalidate these "qualities"?

Maybe not, but I am suspicious of groups that try to impose their beliefs on the whole population.

This evangelical desire to change the world underlies many political causes, people get caught up in all sorts of mass movements just to feel that they are on the "right side". From the thirty-years war to WWII, Germany has suffered a number of regrettabe conflicts. Given their cultural obsession with rules, the prevelence of smoking in Germany is a small "live and let live" area of freedom. Too bad that this too will pass.

the prevelence of smoking in Germany is a small "live and let live" area of freedom.

You seem to forget that increasing numbers of people see this prevalence of smoking in Germany in terms of "smoke and let stink, wheeze and die".

I just have to wonder how some dried plant leaves and some paper can have so much power over such a huge percentage of a population. A little self strength never hurt anyone. Just Quit!!! Done.

i managed to quit for 8 weeks but its bloody hard and you will be tempted for the rest of your life because all you have to do is pop into the nearest shop. for alot of people its just not that easy to quit

I just have to wonder how some dried plant leaves and some paper can have so much power over such a huge percentage of a population.

Never underestimate the magic herb. Free the weed!

i managed to quit for 8 weeks but its bloody hard and you will be tempted for the rest of your life because all you have to do is pop into the nearest shop. for alot of people its just not that easy to quit

It does make it easier to quit when it's banned in public and you don't have to see/smell people smoke every time you go out for a bite to eat or a coffee!

It does make it easier to quit when it's banned in public and you don't have to see/smell people smoke every time you go out for a bite to eat or a coffee!

Nope. Has no effect whatsoever on my desirte for a cigarette.

There's long been plenty of non-smoking cafes or cafe sections.

URGH why is it so hard for people to understand -smoking (in a closed environment especially) is dangerous and totally inconsiderate (esp to the people that need to make a living there ie bar /kitchen staff, musicians). I love the reference that someone else made about farting in their faces - thats how i think of cigarette smoke...see how they would like it, or the other suggestion about spraying a really offensive odour into their clothes, hair and faces so they would understand the eye watering misery that is created by puffy smokers who continue to disregard other people's health whilst thinking they look really cool and hip (oohhhh but im addicted -whatever just dont kill everyone else at the same time). And you can bring up as many arguments as u think are relevant about rights of the person to smoke but i hope u know underneath that you are being completely obnoxious (and stinky). Give up your habit and free the rest of us - you might even enjoy it. If you want to smoke do it in your own home, or even better shit in the corner and see if that works for you, its just as digusting and filthy. LONG LIVE WHATEVER FRESH AIR IS LEFT IN THIS WORLD.

If you want to smoke do it in your own home, or even better shit in the corner and see if that works for you, its just as digusting and filthy. LONG LIVE WHATEVER FRESH AIR IS LEFT IN THIS WORLD.

Wow berlingal. Are you sure you are German?

Strong sentiment coming from a national. Practically every German I have met, am related to or work with, smokes (well except my mother-in-law and my wife's Grandmother and my neighbor)

My wife quit cold turkey when I told her how much I hate smoking (it shows you that, with the proper motivation, anyone can quit)

Back in Canada I knew one smoker in my whole circle of friends (and he was actually German) and except for the odd stranger passing by I hardly ever came across a smoker.

To hear a German national talk like you is..well...pretty incredible. I wish more Germans thought like you do.

Is smoking even banned in Berlin right now? Cause if it isn't, they are certainly not leading the way, seeing as Niedersachen and Baden Wurttemberg have the ban in place. Maybe it's time for a title change.

There's long been plenty of non-smoking cafes or cafe sections.

Did you say plenty? In Munich? Please...

Is smoking even banned in Berlin right now? Cause if it isn't, they are certainly not leading the way, seeing as Niedersachen and Baden Wurttemberg have the ban in place. Maybe it's time for a title change.

The ban in Berlin begins on January 1, 2008.

Did you say plenty? In Munich? Please...

Well, dunno about Munich but in Berlin - if you count places like McDonalds, Nordsee etc., there are plenty. However, of the places any normal person would like to spend time in: the choice is still pathetic, and the "No smoking" sections are usually a joke (like three tables in the corner by the toilets, and no-one ever tells the smoke that it should keep out of the no-smoking section).

The subtle change in the UK since the ban a month or so ago is interesting. Most pubs and all restaurants are now pleasant places to be. The lack of smoke in some pubs is exposing the general lack of hygene in the place - they stink of other things including hidden pub grub etc. The only problem is the number of people smoking as they walk along the street. You tend to get a mouthful if you walk behind someone having a good suck on a fag.

The only problem is the number of people smoking as they walk along the street. You tend to get a mouthful if you walk behind someone having a good suck on a fag.

Personally I support the introduction of smoking cabins on street corners (like they have in airports), use of which to be enforced by armed mobile SWAT teams ;-)

I rub shoulders with a lot of Greenpeace campaigners (being one myself) and am amazed by how many smoke. It seems obligatory almost.

I wonder why they don't campaign for organic, non-GM, cigarettes instead of puffing on genetically modified tobacco, sprayed with pesticides, riddled with added chemicals (particularly nitrates), grown by exploited workers in developing countries, and marketed by giant multi-national corporations who have actively denied a link between tobacco and death.

They'll pontificate how important it is to have an organic vegetable box delivery each week from local suppliers, but not insist on including with it a carton of Fairtrade ciggies kite-marked by the Soil Association and the Vegetarian Society.

(I am a hypocrite as well, mind; I smoke too :wacko: )

This is the hypocrisy of cigarette smoking. A lot of Germans will only eat organic fruit and vegetables, holiday in the Alps for the fresh air and extol the virtues of the Reinheitsgebot (beer purity law), but then smoke a cigarette riddled with 200+ chemicals. Who decided that pesticides on a tomato or sugar syrup in a beer was bad but hydrogen cyanide in cigarette smoke was OK?