Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Berlin to lead the way for smoking ban in Germany

94 posts in this topic

@ JTW

In the meantime, I wish the deutsche Bahn would start enforcing the non-smoking sections they already have on some platforms...

You having a laugh mate?? You don't like a bit of smoke on the platform, move along.

Why should you have to? If its non smoking people shouldn't be smoking there.

Exactly Hutcho,

Every "non smoking" S-Bahn station has at least 2 smoking areas. Hence smokers should smoke there. What gets me is smoking in the U-bahn where it is 100% not allowed. supposedly a 15 Euro fine but I have never senn any getting issued.

Munich Hbf is "smoke-free", apart from the smoking section at the beginning of each and every platform. So everybody travelling by train has to walk through the cloud of smoke in this otherwise "smoke-free" station.

You having a laugh mate?? You don't like a bit of smoke on the platform, move along.

No, wrong. If you want to smoke, move into the smoking area. It's not my responsibility to find a part of a non-smoking section free of people disregarding the rules and smoking. (Assuming that one exists; what does one do when people ignore the smoking ban all along the platform?)

Also, where do people get off thinking it's okay to smoke while walking through a non-smoking area to get to a smoking area? No smoking means no smoking, in case you're too inconsiderate and self-centered to realize it.

Food for thought: http://www.mrcranky.com/movies/rulesdontapplytome.html

Bingo. I hate how some people think it's their right to smoke anywhere and everywhere. What about our right to breathe fresh air?

For the record, I come from a city with one of the longest standing smoking bans in the world (I think since 1999 or 2000...) The long term effect is that people whine for about a year, and then SURPRISE they just get used to smoking outside. It's even lowered the smoking rate because it's easier for people to quit...they're not bombarded with cigarette smoke every time they go out to eat. People still occassionally whine, but everyone else gets to breathe.

The thing about smoking is that when you smoke, it effects other people's health. Second hand smoke is bad for you. I don't care if you choose to ruin your health, but please don't ruin mine.

The thing about smoking is that when you smoke, it effects other people's health. Second hand smoke is bad for you

Get away...! Smokings bad for ya!

Thank God someone is considering a smoking ban here!

I've only been in Germany for 6 months and I almost feel like I'm a smoker!! :wacko:

It would be so nice to breath without constantly inhaling other people's smoke.

Of course, short of an absolute ban, you'd think the first step would just be to learn some smoking etiquette. Is it really possible that is just hasn't occured to most Germans that non-smokers REALLY don't want to breath in their crap?!?!?!?

Assuming that one exists; what does one do when people ignore the smoking ban all along the platform?

Throw them in front of the train?

It would be the quickest solution...plus the smokers obviously don't care about our health, so why not return the favor...

Of course, short of an absolute ban, you'd think the first step would just be to learn some smoking etiquette. Is it really possible that is just hasn't occured to most Germans that non-smokers REALLY don't want to breath in their crap?!?!?!?

It should be noted that I don't bear people who smoke where it's allowed any ill will. I'd prefer if more places were smoke-free, but I only get pissed off at the smokers themselves if they ignore no-smoking signs.

Well duh. So is drinking, but at least when people drink they're not forcing alcohol down everyone else arnound them's throat.

Yeah, but do smokers have a cigarette then fight? Or do smokers smoke too many ciggies before getting into a car and wiping out a young family from pleasantville. Fuck man, get a grip and put it into perspective...who gives a fuck? There are far more important things to worry about than ciggie smoke.

thats not even related to this. we are talking about cigarette smoking, not every possible drug that can be smoked.

@DK the topic of the thread is "Berlin to lead the way for smoking ban in Germany, Proposed plan to take effect in 2007"

Since it is against the law to smoke all other drugs etc "in cigarette form" , this topic therfore can only concern cigarette smoking.

To compare having a fag to smoking weed is stretching to say the least.

@Timmeh

As are 99% of yours on ALL the subjects you post on/about..

@FTC

It is not against the law to smoke weed in Germany, Only sell it or grow large quanities.. Get your facts straight. This ain't the US.

@DK, go and spark up a doobie next to a police officer and see how legal it is. I think you'll find yourself unpleasantly surprised