Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Berlin to lead the way for smoking ban in Germany

94 posts in this topic

post-16-1162901731.jpg
Berlin's local Government plan a total ban on smoking in all public building, including bars and restauruants.

Can take effect as early as 2007.

This will set a precedence for all other federal states.

see link: Berlin Smoking Ban Hoped to Set Example for Rest of Germany

Berlin's local government wants a ground-breaking ban on smoking in the city's public buildings as well as all bars and restaurants, reviving debate on outlawing smoking across the country.

Berlin Mayor Klaus Wowereit's Social Democrats (SPD) and their designated coalition partners, the Left Party, said this week they are pressing ahead with plans to make the German capital smoke-free.

I must admit to being a smoker, however i am for the ban. My partner does not smoke, and as it works (very very well) in Ireland it is not too much of an inconvenience to pop outside (yes even in winter) for a ciggie.

It will even be an incentive to give me the push and stop.

It is only proposed for Berlin. not for all Germany yet! however it is a start and will lead the way for all federal states to adopt.

@Bern: The Government decided at a national level not to introduce a ban on smoking in public places. But there's nothing to stop individual states or even towns/cities introducing their own ban. In the UK, several local authorities got fed up with Blair's hopeless search for a "Third Way" and announced their intent to introduce their own ban. These included Brighton, Westminster and Manchester councils. Scotland got fed up waiting for a ban and introduced their own, while Wales announced their intention to adapt any wishy-washy New Labour compromise into an outright ban.

I expect that Berlin's move will inspire other cities and Länder to introduce their own bans. Once enough Länder have announced their intention to introduce bans, then central government will effectively be forced to follow suit. The political will for a ban exists throughout Europe.

Good news, unless it inspires a backlash that prevents more limited bans long-term. In the meantime, I wish the deutsche Bahn would start enforcing the non-smoking sections they already have on some platforms...

That is definitely good news! Now I can enjoy my drinks without having to cough at some point and dealing with watery eyes. Let's hope this will actually happen!! ;)

Here is the latest on the smoking ban. My German's not perfect but I didn't pick up anything that gave restrictions on cities so my impression is that this is going to be country-wide...

Die parlamentarische Staatssekretärin im Gesundheitsministerium, Marion Caspers-Merk (SPD), sagte der Berliner Zeitung, die für das Thema eingerichtete Koalitions-Arbeitsgruppe habe sich auf einen mehrheitsfähigen Kompromiss geeinigt. Demnach soll es ein Rauchverbot in allen öffentlichen Gebäuden, Krankenhäusern, öffentlichen Verkehrsmitteln und Restaurants geben

Yes, this was the cop-out that was announced a few weeks ago. Basically they're banning smoking in places it was already mostly banned in, like hospitals, and in places already large enough for smoke not to be such a problem, such as restaurants over 75 m2. The places that actually need the ban and would actually make a difference to the ludicrously high smoking rate in this country are exempted from the ban.

Ausgenommen sind Bars, Nachtclubs, Kneipen und Bierzelte.

Great news! I hate stinking like an ashtray after a night out.

I do a lot of work with people wanting to quit smoking... looks like next year could be a busy year.

About time too. I was shocked and stunned to see how much smoking in confined public spaces goes on in Berlin. Not only is it bad manners IT IS BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH! This has been known for ages. It's about time the legislation caught up.

Not only is it bad manners

It is NOT bad manners here. It may be inconsiderate as hell but manners are dictated by the culture. It's bad manners to slurp you soup here or make noise when you eat; in eastern Asia it's how you show your appreciation for the food you've been served. Arms on the table is normal here; not so in the US and UK. In Muslim countries as well as those places where one eats with his hands from a communal bowl, eating with your left hand is akin to shitting in the food.

Welcome to Germany. They have different manners here and they're not about to change them for your convenience.

The reason smoking bans were discouraged by the government for so long is A) bribes and payoffs; and B) the government's reliance on the huge amount of money the tobacco taxes bring in.

woof.

I'm not going to complain about manners, because I do agree with you that it is dictated by the culture and UNFORTUNATELY smoking is (far too much) accepted here.

I would love to see a smoking ban though. Eventually someone will realize that payoffs and taxes are rivaled by health care costs. I hope Germany (or at least Berlin) decides to join the rest of the modern world on this one.

I am highly anti-smoking for a reason. I am allergic to smoke. I LOVE to go out, but I hate it when I have to stay away from even restaurants because my eyes swell up and I can't breath. I can deal with it in the summer when doors are open and it's not so stuffy, but in the winter it is unbearable at times, especially if I have a cold. I also don't believe my health or that of anyone else who chooses not to smoke should be dictated by those who make poor health choices. If they want to damage their lungs in the privacy of their own homes, or outside, fine, but it's not fair to subject everyone else to it.

oh i hope this goes through! i hate it when my clothes stink of tobbacco smoke after a night of clubbing :angry:

EU comes to the rescue! Well, maybe. At least there is some hope on the horizon.

The European Union's 27 member states are being urged to copy Ireland and ban smoking in all indoor public spaces.