Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Touch Rugby training

1,711 posts in this topic

If it stops raining in the next 10 minutes I'll be there too (with a rugby ball and some oranges)...if it doesn't - I won't.

Hey, new TTer here, just found out that i just missed a practice rugby session this pm. Would be interested in joining in if you are a player short. Just live round the corner too.

Hey Dan, new recruits welcome - it was only our first practice last night (NB to all who met us at the pub "because of the weather" - a great session it was too! Next Tues should see you all there <_< )

Should be the same place as last night and same time but keep an eye on the post, there will no doubt be further discussion before next Tuesday...

Well the rain did stop and the sun came out (a bit)...

7 of us made it... naturally all guys (even the injured Pootle made the effort)... sadly the girls, worried about their hair, wimped out. :P

Next training will be: Tuesday 20th 7pm, same place

We also bumped into 3 females from the German Touch Rugby team who invite us to come train with them on the fields just south of Seehaus. Suggested event will be Sunday 25th 10.45 Meeting place tbc.

..and some new female additions to the team

Petal(now confirmed), Diane, Rubber Duck

@Dan and Moko... come along to the next one.

Hi everyone!

I just got back from the European Touch Championships in Jersey. No need to tell you how we (Germany) got on (ie last place for the mens team) but it was well worth going and we all had a great time. The women did slightly better, having drawn a match with France (which they actually won but a FRENCH REFEREE disallowed one of our girls tries :angry: )

Anyway: good to see there is so much interest in Touch. We do of course pay every sunday in the English Gardens on the Wiese between Chinese Tower and Seehaus, so any one can come along. We usually do a few drills at the beginning (ball skills etc) and then just play for fun.

If you guys are interested I can come alomg and help train the tuesday session?

Let me know if you want any help.

and re balls: a touch ball is approx. a size 4 rugby ball an dyes I do have some lod ones but not very good qulaity. We do have some on order with barnett sports, so If anyone wants to buy one let me know. The best ones are made by Gilbert but they are way too expensive for the very stretched coffers of Touch Deutschland.

Graham... finally someone willing to be tge Coach!!

Be good to see you Tuesday... we have a few questions over the rules.

Looks like we may have enough interest for 2 teams.

yeah graham's gonna bash us into shape... :D

i persoaly couldn't stop smilling the whole night,

it felt good to have a ball in my hands after all these years

and shit i need to get fit again. no more fat bastard pauses.

for all who dodged it because of the weather, shame on you, it didn't rain untill we were two metres away from gms.

3lions will also be there next week, you promised me mate, and dont forget the herbs, i'd suggest thymian, sage purple and green, estragon, maybe throw in a lavender for texture and colour.

looks like the size four was a good idea after all. i'll scan in the training notes , those who want them pm me with a mail address. oh and my wife is going to look out for some flat marking cones. so that our canadian cousins do run off to augsburg.

me done great night still smiling. :)

oh yeah well done pootle for turning up when injured

For those that want to read the rules you can look at the web site of the Federation of International Touch (FIT):

FIT Touch Rules

These may be a little long winded for most but the important rules have already been mentioned before in this string, except that the defence has to retreat 10m after a penalty and not 5 like after a touch. A penatly is given for:

• forward pass
  • late pass (aka touch and pass, ie passing the ball after a touch was made)
  • over-stepping the mark (ie taking more than one step after the touch)
  • interference in the ruck (ie defender kicks the ball while attacker is trying to make a roll ball)
  • har touches (ie,pushing, slapping and hitting instead of making a touch)
  • offside (ie making a touch before having retreated 5m after a touch or 10m after a penatly)
  • plus a few more

For those who want to play a little more touch, Studentenstadt Rugby are playing touch on Thursdays as well in the fields on the edge of the english Grden (Grassmeierstrasse)

See you all on Tuesday!

over-stepping the mark (ie taking more than one step after the touch)

does that include sliding three meres forward like last night...

no seriously, stoping like that in full flow can damadge your knees, how serverely do they ping on that one?

Gideon found a good rule book but can you confirm:

-can the ball be dropped/hit the ground (but go backwards thus not a knock on) ?

-is there any instance where kicking is possible (if caught by same side) ?

some more rules:

• no kicking is allowed
  • when the ball goes to ground, that team loses possession
  • if you try and intercept a pass and the ball goes to ground, the other team gets the ball and the count starts from zero
  • if you over-step (or overslide) the mark you must come back to the mark to play the roll ball otherwise you will be penalised (a nd yes they are strict)
  • in mixed there must always be a minimum of three women on the pitch and a minimum of one man

Starting the game is made with a tap-ball (the ball is placed on the ground and tapped with the foot, THEN the ball can be picked up and run with. This is also used to restart after a try is scored or for a penalty.

At all other times a restart is made with a roll ball.

when making a roll ball, it is better to place the ball and not roll it. Do not heel it back like in Rugby League as this is also illegal. If the ball rolls around on the floor before being picked up the ref can deem this to be a loss of control and possession is given to the other side. The player picking up the ball after a roll-ball is known as dummy-half or acting-half or just half. The half cannot delay playing the ball. The opposition cannot start advancing before the half has played the ball. The half is not allowed to score. She/He must also pass the ball before she/he is touched otherwise she/he loses possession.

Any other questions?

ahh so the overstepping relates to the actual placement of the rollball, not where you stopped due to inertia, phew my knees just thanked you.

@ graham- excellent... fuzzy rules are less fuzzy

When is the deadline for registering a team and are there costs etc?

there will be an entrance fee, but it isn't fixed yet. It will probably be around 10-15 Euros per person.

The fees and the deadline will be finalised very soon but I will inform you all in plenty of time.

This is the first ever tournement that Touch Deutschland have organised, so you will have to forgive us if the orgnanisation is not up to typical German efficient standards. :)

@ gideon:

after being touched or making a touch (an attacking player often touches the defender as an attacking tactic) the player can take one step before the ball must be placed on the floor. If you are in the middle of a stride when touched you can finish that stride but not take another.

So I am sorry, but it will be hard on you knees unless you learn to decellerate and initate the touch yourself.

The tactic of an attacking player making the touch is the best way to get forward because you immediately put the defence off-side and they have to retreat 5m. Running backwards is very hard on the quads (I spent most of last weekend running backwards!).

ho hum that'll be fun getting that one into my brain.

can't wait for tuesday, you better bring a big whistle.

Petal(now confirmed), Diane, Rubber Duck

I believe Rubber duck and myself confirmed to come and watch and check it out - not to actually play. ;)

ahh.. but you confirmed to come sporty ;-) that is enough.

Come check it out... will be quite a few gals.