Carry-on baggage restrictions on flights

151 posts in this topic

We flew Lufthansa HAM => LHR Friday lunchtime & came back Saturday afternoon.

Two of us had rucksacks as hand luggage - no issues as we had made sure no

toothpaste etc in the Rucksack.

The fact that I could have strangled the stewardess with my electric shaver cord interests noone.

At LHR the queues for security at Terminal 2 were minimal but its probably different in the week.

Before security they were stood hold little plastic bags which by all accounts are able to withstand massive explosions :)

Just got back from LHR last night and as people have posted above, make sure you have all lotions/potions no more than 100ml in a plastic bag. No problem re. hand luggage, as long as it fits the prescribed dimensions.

Easysweat. Wank airline, wank prices, wank passengers, half of whom seem not to think that the hand luggage restrictions apply to them and subsequently hold up the rest of the passengers getting through security. Stanstead is also a very wank airport. Wouldn't go there again if I was paid. This is my opinion only, no more, no dissing of thread starter's choice of airline intended...

Standstedt was the only alternative as this was an emergency and LHR flights with Lufthansa and BA had ridiculous prices for last minute bookings. For the same amount, I can fly to Asia!

Have never experienced what it is like in Standstedt...so I cant comment on that. Thanks for the warning though.

Hand luggage is allowed but one 1 bag (which does not include a laptop case)

However from Germany you can take two bits of hand-luggage (as long as they met the requirements i.e. one is a shitty plastic bag or laptop and your case is not too big around 56,43,23 cm off the top of my tired head...).

When I came back from London earlier this month, a laptop bag was counted as the ONE bag you were alloud.. So you may need to double check this.

That is what I'm saying it is ONLY one bag for hang luggage when flying from the UK...nothing more...

Says the kid who just bought a funky new hand luggage that will include his laptop...so now those pesky rules do not bother me anymore...

Yes, they do allow hand luggage now, I just returned from London with Easyjet last Wednesday. They check it rather thourougly. They took my nail colour for example away.

Have never experienced what it is like in Standstedt...so I cant comment on that. Thanks for the warning though.

I think you'll find Stansted to be the nicest of the London airports. Admittedly that's a pretty low starting point, but still.

If money is an issue, take the coach into central London. The Stansted Express is a rip-off.

I'm flying MUC-ATL with Delta soon. I was wondering if with all these new regulations the time that it takes for check-in is longer now. Any specific information on this? Are two hours before departure enough for them to look at everything they need to? Thanks!

At least for leaving from Munich, two hours was plenty of time. Excessive, even.

I flew from Munich to London last weekend, and from Munich to Amsterdam the weekend before that.

The latter was a little complicated, as it was one of the first days the new rules were introduced in Munich, and as such the security checkers were fucking clueless about where I could get a plastic bag, but there were no extra delays as opposed to normal. There were plenty of people around me who were going to the States, who apparently were supposed to have extra checks, but the checking of boarding passes was fairly limited, so this didn't seem to be enforced.

The former trip was fine as well, Terminal 1 instead of 2. Security were a little more anal, wouldn't allow any kind of plastic bag apart from what they supplied, but still, there were plenty of security gates open, so they could easily handle with the extra requirements.

Stansted, on the other hand - fuck, don't get me started. Had to line up twice in two sequential scanners, first for carry-on bag, second for my shoes. Lucky I was early.

Give yourself the 2 full hours. You might have some time to kill after passport control but you'll still have to go through a second set of screening, including a second passport/boarding card check and security gates (shoes off and all) if your flying to the US. Definitely bring a book though, theres not much past the second security screen. A tiny duty free and a bar at least in Terminal 1.

PS: Panama, Ive never flown out of T2, at least not in years. I assume the process with the second security is the same though.

Does anyone know where one can buy small empty travel bottles.

Try Muji in the Fünf Höfe - they have lots of different styles.

British Airways will be relaxing the hand baggage restrictions from 7th January.

following an announcement by the UK Department for Transport, we are planning to re-introduce our two-piece cabin bag allowance at London Heathrow, London City, Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen airports, with effect from 7 January 2008, bringing these airports into line with current EU regulations.

The change will mean that when you depart from or transfer through these airports you will be able to carry two pieces of hand baggage through security from this date. Your hand baggage allowance when travelling through London Heathrow for example, will therefore be:

· One bag no bigger than 56 cm x 45 cm x 25 cm (22 inches x 17.5 inches x 9.85 inches) (including wheels, pockets and handles)

· A maximum weight of 23kg per bag, and you must be able to lift the bag into the overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin unaided

· In addition, one briefcase or laptop sized bag

Please note that there is no change to the current EU restrictions on the quantity of liquids allowed through airport security. You must continue to ensure that all liquid containers do not exceed 100ml and are carried in a clear, re-sealable plastic bag that can be easily closed.

Also, please note that other UK airports, including London Gatwick, are expected to remove restrictions in line with the new UK Department for Transport guidelines in a phased approach. Until this comes into effect, the one-bag allowance will remain in place for other UK airports.

I've just received one of those automated emails from BA about my flight to JFK on Friday from LHR. It's still going on about one piece of hand luggage.

Now, I know the rules have been relaxed and maybe BA, bless 'em, haven't updated their notifications to reflect this.

But this is heading for another Great British cockup. And they could always change their minds again. So, I'm still going to take just one piece of hand luggage with me. Just in case.

Incidentally I often fly with SAS from Beijing and they never query the size of my carry-on. But when I flew with BA the check-in staff made me put it in their measuring cradle. So, in front of them, I took out a few bulky things then squeezed it into the cradle. All were happy. Then I took it out and put the bulky things back in, in front of them ... the jobs-worth monkeys.

Oh and do we need to start a thread about the neo-Nazi traveller-hating security staff at Heathrow? Would there be enough storage space on the Internet?

i shit you not i took on a rucksack and 3 plastic shopping bags of stuff when i left munich in december. all i got was a "that you finished?" when i had eventually repacked the 4 trays i had had to fill to put stuff thru the xray machine the rest was sweet.

its all about hiding it behind a big coat

(no i dont drive a bmw)

Its amazing that governemnts make rules and then the running is passed to stressed workers on the front line.

At Gatwick..

Woman has bottle of tequila bought in the duty free area of another airport. She has no receipt. Security girl says 'sorry, you cant take it on'.

Woman says 'I would like to keep it'.

Answer 'You can't, I have no flexibility in the matter, sorry'.

Woman 'Ok, just bin it or keep it for the staff party'.

Anothe rmember of security comes over and says 'we shouldn't really let this through, did you buy in in the EU?'

Woman 'yes'.

Guy, 'Ok, it should be ok'.

He didn't even ask her for her previous boarding passes, tickets, flight documents. He didn't even check her passport for visas.

Everyone in the queue knew (well, as far as you can) then this woman posed no threat. However that isn't really the point, these rules are there because everyone in that queue is not a security expert etc.

Imagine doubling the amount of bags everyone can cary on flights, with the current security. It will take ages to get through security and any major UK airport.

Add to this people who fly on airlins that allow 2 pieces and then on to one that doesn't... Think Ryan air charging for all those extra bags to be put in the hold.

I get the feeling, someone, somewhere is going to make a nice packet of cash out of this.

It was only after I arrived home in Canada for Christmas that I realized I'd gone through two security screenings (Frankfurt and Toronto) without anyone breathing a word about the two tubes of toothpaste, bottle of eyedrops, and contact lenses (in solution) in the front pocket of my backpack. Oh, and the tube of lip balm hanging off the bag in plain sight. Whoops. Not that I'm sure what difference a plastic baggie is supposed to make... and not that I think they really should be worried about me and awesome destructive power of my toothpaste, but obviously these things are not evenly enforced. They did make the guy in front of me in line in Toronto throw out his duty free booze from Europe though. It escalated to the point where I started to wonder if they were going to tazer him.