New in Nuremberg (or new to this forum)

256 posts in this topic

Is there a non-facebook way of getting this stammtisch info? I mean I dont have a facebook account and I dont want to open one.

Yep. Send me your email address. Or turn up in bäckerhof on the last Thursday of the month and you'll find us :)

Well I have read all the job postings and people either post about being a teacher or working for a company like Adidas that rarely hires.. I'm just curious where I can actually apply that is hiring since I haven't much luck =[

I just graduated from college with a BA in criminology and a minor in communication.

Kolive, if people aren't replying to you, it's because nobody really knows what else to suggest.

Almost everyone on here working in the greater Nuremberg region has at least THREE of the following:

[*]fluent German

[*]EU-citizenship/unrestricted residence and work rights

[*]plenty of cash saved up/a partner who will agree to guarantee financial support

[*]specific needed skills (normally IT/engineering, but there are some other fields)

[*]relevant work experience

[*]is already living here and available for interview immediately

You don't seem to have a single one of those things - which makes your current quest near to impossible.

If you really want to move here, I think you need to make it a long-term plan. Consider the following steps:

[*]get a job in the US and start saving

[*]start learning German in your free time

[*]possibly consider also doing some other kind of training on the side, such as management/IT

[*]visit as often as you can, and while you're here check out the market

[*]check monster.de regularly for openings (mostly the ads will be in German, but occasionally you'll find something in English, and as your German improves you can check out the German ads too...this will give you a chance to see 1) which skills/certificates are mostly being looked for in jobs which you could possibly sell your background into, and 2) which companies are frequently looking. Before coming on visits, you could even start sending applications and state that you will be here on X dates to attend an interview).

The only other possibility is really to get a TEFL certificate (CELTA is the most widely recognised) and try your luck as a freelance English teacher...this is sometimes a last resort for non EU citizens in order to get a permit...but it usually doesn't pay the bills (for quite some time, anyway).

yes thank you. I've been doing all of the above. And I have a job in the US. But just finishing college almost $1,000 for the plane ticket over there is a lot, especially since I need money to eat and what not over there... Thank you though!!

Yes. That's why your only chance is a LONG-term plan.

Hi All,

Just thought I'd drop by and say hello.

I've recently moved to Bayreuth with my girlfriend (she's a local) and I'll be hoping to move again soon on to Munich once I've managed to secure a place to move to.

I'm working remotely for a company back in the UK at the moment with a view to finding something in or around Munich in IT sometime in the near future too.

I do have a question for any MTB'ers out there. Does anyone know of any good single track trails around Bayreuth/Kulmbach or even towards Nuremberg? I'm out of shape at the moment, but I can't wait to get out and explore the countryside, but I'd prefer to have a little extra local knowledge.

Hello everyone!

My name is George, 19, and I moved here 3 months ago. I'm having a bit of trouble finding friends here, I started German lessons a month ago, but most of my classmates are way older than me, married with kids and as a result I am not able to hang out with them. I was wondering if you have any advise about socializing and finding friends in my age here in Nuremberg. Also if any of you are around my age and want to meet a new person feel free to send me a message. I speak English, Greek and some bad German. :)

Hello fellas,

I live in Nürnberg (Suburb) and work in Munich on a part-time basis, while trying to find a full-time job in Nürnberg. I'm an IT Pro and love Tennis (as in lawn-Tennis). Play often. Scheduled to play in Nürnberg with some other expat friends on 24.05.2014 (a Saturday afternoon) but seems we have extra slots to fill. If you're interested and have the time, PM me for details.

Cheers.

Mo.

Hi there!

Anybody here? Ha Ha!!

I´ve registered in here last night! B)

I was actually looking for something else, like an Indian Food store although I´ve found some other ones here in Nuremberg already, and still, one shouldn´t give up looking for anything else because one may never know, how cheaply one may find one from the others right?

I´m living here in Nuremberg 17 years already and I find it a quite nice place to be living here.

It´s fine with me the way it looks to be the Nuremberg place.

Well then!

Let me find that one post that I´ve posted in here somewhere already, "last night to be exact"!

So then, let´s go a bit more out there into the nice sun-shine Beach here in Nuremberg, or need to go for a nice and cool refreshing swim on a beautiful Lake ... :D then lets take a nice look for this here for You to see, it may be something for YOU!! It´s only a good thing, he used his windshield wipers Ha Ha!!

talk 2 U all later then, U hear? :D

Hi Everyone,

I too am new to the Area, (or I guess in comparison to alot of others who have lived here for years). I just graduated University of Florida in May 2014, came here and will start school in Erlangen in Fall. Im looking for some friends who also speak English, or other languages that would be fun to learn from! I have some friends here but not so close; it would be great to make some connections and have new groups to hang out with. I am 22, soon 23 in October. I love playing sports, running, swimming and exploring new places. I also can drive, and would love to see more of Bavaria if anyone wants an adventure :)

So if you're not scared to make an American friend (promise I dont bite!) or watch some of this world cup, just message me. I would really like to find active people to go to the pool with, play sports with,or grab drinks and explore the city. :) Not excellent in German quite yet, but native english and hablo espanol tambien. Just Message me or respond and we can plan something.

Prost!

Veronica

G'day All,

We have just arrived in Nuremberg from Australia and will be here for a couple of months. We are based in Gostenhof. We love the arts, science and technology, history, the outdoors, food and having fun with and without kids.

Do you live in the Nuremberg area? Well if so, myself Julia, my husband Brett, and our two year old boy Otto, would love to meet you. Please drop us a line.

Cheers.

Hello, my name is Anna and I'm 22. I'm an Au Pair here in Germany. I am going to be visiting Nuremberg this weekend and am looking for another girl about my age to do some sightseeing with. Would there be anyone interested?

Hi, All,

I figured I ought to introduce myself here, since I moved from Frankfurt to the ER-H area back in June. Just never got around to posting here, because of all the changes associated with moving, a new job, and everything else I know you're all familiar with!

I'm hoping to meet folks here, and participate in more TT-related gatherings, like the eating adventures.

If my name looks familiar, it's because I was relatively active on the rest of the message boards here, but in the Frankfurt-area and non-city-specific sections, not those for this part of the country.

Looking forward to meeting some of you in person in the coming months!

WDave

Hi everyone,

I am a 24-year-old girl from Germany. I just signed up tp this Community because I hope to meet lots of new English-speaking people. As I am currently studying to become a primary school teacher for English in Nuremberg, I would like to improve my English.

If you are interested in talking with me, just send me a message. Would be great :)

Morning all,

New to Nuernberg and relatively to this forum. Moved here just 2 weeks ago, have travelled a fair bit and just spent 9 months living back in the UK before coming to see if Germany is the answer. Loving the city and looking forward to spending this year learning German and treating life like a holiday. 28 year old guy and have plenty of free time this year so if anyone wants to go for beers or whatever check out some music please give me a shout.

Happy New Year to all.