For those who hate German supermarkets

401 posts in this topic

No way Jeeves what i find funny is that all the posts i look at from J.E. does nowt but bitch and bitch and bitch.Just like J.N.

You have to make the best of bad situations.I still find the U.K. expensive but they also have better offers over there.You cannot get mushy peas or battered fish over here so i make my own.I make my own pies as i cannot get them over here.A lot of the general stuff that i enjoy in Blighty i cannot get so i try to make my own.Time consuming but worth it

the buying power is bigger of what you have in your hand at the end of the month.

To be honest, I think that is a thing of the past...as the German economy has stagnated and the Euro came in...prices have increased whilst wages have stayed largely the same. Wage inflation in Germany, I would guess, in the last 10 years has been very low whilst prices have creeped up: squeezing the average families more and more. But funnily enough whilst the Firms/Businesses have been making super profits (granted they are no.1 exporter in the world) but eh share some of that please with the downtrodden consumers and families...

My Weekend is:

Thursday: Gym...I think

Friday: braving Stansted which has got worse this week (school holidays)

Saturday: 40th birthday house party of a friend

Sunday: Ballet - Gisselle (BayerischerStatsOper)

Real incomes have stagnated in Germany over the last 10 years this is true and it has been particuarly hard for those with families, those reliant on state benefits and pensioners for example. This is set to continue over the next X years as the government ciourse seems to be take more money out of peoples pockets.

But the cost of living has rocketed in the UK I think, particuarly if you aren't already on the housing ladder.

I still reckon at the end of the day people across all of society are better off here.

And I'm sure the Euro in itself drove upprices in Germany.

It happenend to come in at a time when prices were increasing due to taxes, charges and energy prices.

I still reckon at the end of the day people across all of society are better off here.

I'm inclined to agree, but I wonder if our view of Germany is a little off balance simply because we live in the most prosperous part of the country. I personally have very little experience of the north of Germany and none at all of the east.

Oh yes Allershausen.

Situation is different in other parts of the country, particuarly in the east.

The situation is different in the UK too mind, plenty of "sink" estates and schools that don't get figured into the equation when people are driving in their 4x4 to a megaTescburys in a nice SE England suburb.

Here is a comparison with Belgian chain, Colruyt. They are considered superior to bottom-of-the-barrel places like Aldi or Lidl, but not as good as Delhaize or Carrefour, which are basically equivalent to Sainsbury's or Tesco respectively in the UK. This is basically a mid-range chain.

These prices are from their Collect and Go website. For €4.50 extra they prepare your online order so you can conveniently pick it up at one of their stores (let's not go there for now), however prices are no higher than what they would be in the actual supermarket.

1 litre 3% UHT milk

€0.74

500g basic butter

€2.38

450g tin tomatoes

€0.55 (400grams - "Bio")

kilo price apples

€1.69/Kilo

klio price tomatoes, on vine

€1.89/Kilo

1 kg bag white sugar

€0.84

500g spagetti

€0.75

1 litre sunflower oil

€1.12

1 litre fresh orange juice

€1.69

6 eggs, medium size, free range.

€1.28

That's a pretty hard and sweeping statement to make...from Rostock to Leipzig...frankfurt to Hamburg are better of than their cousins in Aberdeen to Newcastle, Manchester to Cardif at all incomes levels...

Anyhow...let's have some independent figures on this one. The OECD PPP estimates (taking into a/c consumer prices put the UK and Germany the same):

OECD Statistics

So as I suspected the UK is not expensive it's just that you Euro earners have a weak currency - so the Brits can afford Germany but the Germans can't afford the UK.

So as I suspected the UK is not expensive it's just that you Euro earners have a weak currency - so the Brits can afford Germany but the Germans can't afford the UK.

I'm no economist, but I have to disagree with this. The pound to DM/Euro has been pretty stable for some time, probably for over a decade. Approx. 10 years ago the pound stood at about 3DM, i.e. about €1,5, much the same as now and prices between Britain and Germany were pretty comparable. Over this time the exchange rate has remained pretty much the same but Britain has in my eyes become an expensive country.

Perhaps my grammar was wrong Stanford.

What I was trying to say is that also including the most disadvantaged in society that people are better off in the UK. I think people often look at mega high salaries and through property earned wealth in SE England and forget those left behind.

I went to Tengelmann's on Monday evening to buy a couple of things. I believe the Tengelmann's in Lehel (Triftstrasse) could compete for being one of the smallest such stores in the city. It has three aisles. Lines of about 30 people were down each of the 2 aisles leading to the checkouts. I thought I would be smart and go to the other Tengelmann's - it was under construction and not open until today. I did not find this out, until I had walked in the door and picked up my first items - a guy yelled at me that it was closed! The door was open and I saw two workmen - I am so used to the stockers working I did not think anything of the workmen - seemed like business as usual. :)

Going to the store is always an adventure!

I'm no economist, but I have to disagree with this. The pound to DM/Euro has been pretty stable for some time, probably for over a decade. Approx. 10 years ago the pound stood at about 3DM, i.e. about €1,5, much the same as now and prices between Britain and Germany were pretty comparable. Over this time the exchange rate has remained pretty much the same but Britain has in my eyes become an expensive country.

You are right that the exchange have been stable but it's in the favour of the UK...the £ is a stronger currency also during that time you have to look at what has been happening to wages. (Because of Strong £ - some would argue that is why Manufacturing has continued to disappear in the UK but that's another debate.) If it wasn't the case then prices in the UK would have to be 1.5 times the prices in Germany which except for house prices is defo not the case...go shop in Primark or TT max...go to Asda buy some George clothes etc...) Inflation has been low and especially low for clothes items (I think food items as well but am not sure)...

In addition, I would guess that wages have stagnated in Germany more so in the UK where growth has averaged around 2.5% (of the top of my head)...whilst in Germany the growth as been stuck in minus if not around 0.5%. If growth is to mean anything it means that the real value of UK wages have continued to have arisen whilst in Germany people have been squeezed. So Germans travelling to the UK find it expensive and Brits travelling to Germany find it not because of the real wage and exchange rates effect. But on PPP I think the countries are similiar which the first stats I got from the OECD seem to back up - I'm looking for some wages stats as well.

I think my logic makes sense it has been a while since I did Economics... :ph34r:

PS. The only people who seem to complain the UK (London aside) is expensive are foreigners and expats. Manchester is not expensive...Liverpool is not expensive...etc.

which except for house prices is defo not the case...go shop in Primark or TT max...go to Asda buy some George clothes etc

I do. Pikey that I am. ;)

But Primark and ASDA are certainly not the whole market.

You are right that a lot of people only cencentrate on London and the SE.

But what is happening is that a LOT of the big northern cities are already to an extent gentrified.

Prices are rising faster there than a lot of working class incomes.

But Primark and ASDA are certainly not the whole market.

Correct and that's why average price or wage comparison are misleading as my Father on Social Security doesn't give a fcuk about the general prices if he can contine to buy clothes in TT Max and Primark: jeans £5 to £10, T-shirts £2, Jumpers £5 and cheap food in Aldi/Lidl/Asda. Average prices and wages would mask such discounters in the general price level and would underestimate my father's purchasing power...

House prices are the achilles heel of the UK economy and mean that many people have been priced out of the market..but rents continue to be affordable so as long as the working class (in Manchester) eat in the all you can eat places £5 to £10 (which have become so popular), the Asian noddle bars £10 to £15, chains like Pizza Express and shop at clothes shops with falling prices or shit low prices - they are feeling richer...

The middle class may sniff at this spending power but believe me for those on lower incomes the rise of this market has been a liberation.

PS. I went into Next (Manchester) the other month and found out that they have now changed their model and sell stuff dirt cheap...TT Max/Primark/ Top Shop have done a lot to change the high street.

C&A were the equivalent in the 70s but I think the new kids on the block have given us Styled clothes without the costs (not just cheap clothes)...kinda of like Ikea...

The middle class my sniff at this spending power but believe me for those on lower incomes the rise of this market has been a liberation.

And do the middle class love to sniff when working class people have more spending power! :lol:

A lot of the mealy mouthed sniffy sour grapes from middle class liberal fucks in papers like the Grauniad is that they resent working class people looking good, having fun and doing stuff they feel they shouldn't. They feel their own position and relative privilege under threat.

eg: "Oh how the South of France has been ruined since EasyJet started flying there. You used to get nice families renting a "gite" but now its just louts vomiting everywhere after a night of cheap bières."

But thats a bit off topic.

I still think Next is too dear mind. Then again I think TK Maxx is too dear. :lol:

I still think Next is too dear mind. Then again I think TK Maxx is too dear.

:lol:

What do you want jeans at £1...and T-shirts at 50p.

Not sure if it is all Nexts have changed but the one in Manchester looks more like Top shop now...

Are we getting off topic since this is about Supermarkets?

Back on Topic - I love German Supermarkets...there...

I wish everything would be under one roof too! Germans are just so leisurely and no-one ever seems to be in a rush...well some ppl have things to do!!!

WalMart here is okay but not great.

No one seems to be in a rush? is that not why they rudely jump queues most of the time? :angry:

Thats just because queuing is an alien concept in Germany. A bit like drinking large amounts of beer and not fighting is in Britain. :rolleyes:

What do you want jeans at £1...and T-shirts at 50p.

In TK Maxx last time most of the t-shirt were at £ 12 which i thought was a bit dear...

I was out on the gay scene in Bristol and i saw this bloke in a t-shirt that looked really cool I thought and I guessed he has bought it locally. So I was going to ask him but he was one of those "I'm too fucking pretty and trendy to talk to you" airheads so I didn't bother.

Next day, in Primark, they had the very same t-shirts! :lol:

So I bought one and thought, now I know the silly queens secret, bet he doesn't tell his trendymates he shops here.

I don't think it is because they are in a rush..they just wanna be the first one to be served or they feel superior and its their right to be first in line. Esp the oldies!! Watch out for them! Hahaha

Sorry to bore you with statistics but here are the hourly earnings in Manufacturing:

Manufacturing Wage Comparisons

OECD figures: UK aprox 125 and Germany aprox 109...Indices...

So according to these figures the UK has higher wages (it may be a function of the lower number of people in manufacturing but again shows some myths just aren't always true)...