For those who hate German supermarkets

401 posts in this topic

KwikSave is now dead and is part of Somerfield. Resulting in higher prices! :angry:

Crap shopping experience in London too.

MonksTown,

See as I thought - just pop up North and you will feel like you are back in Germany... loads of Aldis/Lidls...

I'm not sure but I thought Asda started off strong-up North and is considered a cheap general store...

Especially with George's clothes and stuff... But as to middle class sensibilities that is a good point as your Supermarket is your class in the UK far more than I can see in Germany where every one does Aldi...

In my neck of the woods (In North Manchester)...the scally (Chav) put down was that YOUR MOTHER SHOPS IN ALDI!!! :o

Na ja...I say we should all should in the Co-Op and while we are at it join the Co-Op bank* as well...

* Based in Manchester and is the best ethnical bank in the UK (Stanford Northern Nationalist)...

* Based in Manchester and is the best ethnical bank in the UK (Stanford Northern Nationalist)...

I expect it was a typo but maybe there is a bank investing in deprived multi-racial parts of northern England? :P

Went into a local supermarket 'cos I wanted some tomatoes this week. I cannot imagine what possessed me to imagine that a supermarket would possibly stock something as "exotic" as eadible fresh tomatoes. They had some evil rotting fly ridden squashed red things on display, but nothing that resembled usable goods. I left empty handed as usual.

Father-in-law explained I need to go to the Saturday market, or the little man on Friday morning etc etc. But I still cannot for the life of me figure out why the supermarket therefore even pretends it sells fruit and veg??

And don't get me on the fish counter subject - ha how we laughed.

And don't get me on the fish counter subject - ha how we laughed.

That's a bit like looking for a pork butcher in Riadh to be honest.

You realise how far you are from the sea? This is Bavaria, a lot of supermarkets can't or won't have a fresh fish counter becasue the deamnd isn't there or they are too small.

Just had some lovely edible tomatoes today, from my local GERMAN supermarket. :)

Shame you cant add the smell of a German fish counter.

Not as bad as a grimy, grotty, completely littered street somewhere in one of Englands "clean" cities... :blink:

Went into a local supermarket 'cos I wanted some tomatoes this week. I cannot imagine what possessed me to imagine that a supermarket would possibly stock something as "exotic" as eadible fresh tomatoes. They had some evil rotting fly ridden squashed red things on display, but nothing that resembled usable goods. I left empty handed as usual.

Tha was one of the biggest problems I had, for example, with Tengelmanns. The selection of fresh produce there was embarrassingly inadequate...

Yeah they´re always short-staffed, the queue is always a mile long before they open another checkout. Our Plus is terrible, Edeka is a bit better, but not much. We also used to have a really good HLMarkt, but it is now a Minimal. It´s alll Rewe these days anyway!

I used to complain about the supermarkets in Germany, but that was before moving here to the UK. I now live in Windsor, and have been to many different chains, but I have to say the stores in Munich had a much better selection. That is unless the only things you eat are curry, bacon, and pies. Oops, add chips to that as well. Lots of chips in the frozen section...

You realise how far you are from the sea?

Don't talk soft. Irrelevant. Most of the fish eaten in the UK does not come from anywhere near our coastline, although I can see it would have an influence on the national pallet.

I've actually tried growing tomatoes in my balcony flower-box before, but that didn't work either. I really don't understand the inability of supermarkets here to have edible tomatoes everyday. Why is this so difficult?

I saw a programme on German TV on the subject where they interviewed the foreign farmers. The gist of it was that they sold the best quality stuff to France, and the medium stuff to Italy, and then the farmers said they sold the cheap shit stuff that was left to the German buyers as they were only ever interested in price and not quality.

Sure the hardcore will leap to defend the germans, and how if you get up at 6am and go and see Giseppe in the market on the first Thursday of the month during a full moon you can get edible stuff.

But that is not the frigging point!

The whole idea of a supermarket is that it is a convenient one stop shop where you can buy a few fresh tomatoes, a slice of tunafish, select from 6 or 7 types of Olive oil, maybe buy a baguette or onion loaf, and perhaps a pre-made curry with nan bread, a fresh prawn and mayo sandwich for lunch, and perhaps a small selection of sushi for dinner.

Over here I jump for joy at the site of a baking potato larger than a gnats testicle.

We know Tesco won't step foot in the country because it would be like Harrods opening in Liverpool.

It's been 3 years and the supermarkets are my greatest misery over here bar none. Basically this is because I like to eat nice food, but cant be arsed to cook - so I am fucked basically.

The gist of it was that they sold the best quality stuff to France, and the medium stuff to Italy, and then the farmers said they sold the cheap shit stuff that was left to the German buyers as they were only ever interested in price and not quality.

There's some truth in that. The German retail food market is VERY price competitive.

The whole idea of a supermarket is that it is a convenient one stop shop where you can buy a few fresh tomatoes, a slice of tunafish, select from 6 or 7 types of Olive oil, maybe buy a baguette or onion loaf, and perhaps a pre-made curry with nan bread, a fresh prawn and mayo sandwich for lunch, and perhaps a small selection of sushi for dinner.

The whole idea of a supermarket is for the retailer to maximise his profit.

You have to compare like with like.

So a similar size of retailing space and storage space, a similar customer base.

Then you have to add in local tastes and customs.

People tend to compare a German inner city store that in the UK would be a "local" or "metro" variety and expect it to have all the stuff as a huge UK out of town maxi store. German retailers are trying to stimulate it a bit, but right now there simply isn't the demand for pre-packaged ready meals like these is in the UK. They'd be throwing out out of date ready made curries by the ton in the vain hope of stopping you bleating!

We know Tesco won't step foot in the country because it would be like Harrods opening in Liverpool.

Nope. Tesco do not plan to start in Germany becasue the market is too price competitive, they'd be starting from a tiny share of the market and they wouldn't be able to make the profits they can elsewhere.

People tend to compare a German inner city store that in the UK would be a "local" or "metro" variety and expect it to have all the stuff as a huge UK out of town maxi store.

Sorry MonksTown but that is so untrue the huge supermarket are dotted all over...maybe you are talking about over run central London (the over crowded SE) but even in Rohehampton (London) my local asda had about 24 checkouts (and was open 24hrs). In Manchester I can think of three Asda with 24 checkouts one in Moss-side and two in my other backyard in North Manchester...Moston and near Moston. Oh forgot there is a huge Morrison on the way to Oldham from Moston as well...great place. (And this is in poorville North Manchester).

You are right to say the german model has small supermarkets dotted around the cities but because city planning is different in the UK (I can imagine)..there are enough brown field sites in city centres for Supermarket to open up whoppers around the corner from ya house (at least away from central London and the over crowded SE).

@Johny Norfolk,

Sorry mate but the german model is based on shopping around...lucky for me there is a farmers market 2 mins from my house in Solln so we get the best vegetables and fruit. When I was in Spain it was the same problems only foreigners (maybe Brits) tried to buy veg and fruits in a supermarket...in fact they were worse than in Germany (when I lived there)...rotten and crap. I was too young to learn to go down to the open markets...so suffered but now with age I don't mind it!!! See what age can do to you!!!