For those who hate German supermarkets

401 posts in this topic

These photos were obviously taken before they started blocking the isles with pallets, whilst stocking the shelves during opening hours and washing the floors whist the customers were still walking around! ;)

that actually looks like a supermarket...

I call codswallop... such places dont exist here...

Next you will tell me that it has more than 3 cash registers, and will put on more staff if the line happens to be more than 5 customers long

These photos were obviously taken before they started blocking the isles with pallets, whilst stocking the shelves during opening hours and washing the floors whist the customers were still walking around!

Probably... At least something has to be wrong and annoying. The staff probably shouts at you, they don't take Visa or somebody (German of course) bumps into your back with a trolley and without saying SORRY. An old granny will be very rude, while the fruits are rotten and there is no Chicken Tikka ready meal- just those with sauerkraut and awful meat. :blink:

My local supermarket will put extra staff on the till, it's a Plus!

My pet hate supermarket washes the floors and fills the shelves during trading time.

it's badly designed, badly stocked, the staff are a joke and it is far too expensive...

...it is Tesco in Bristol.

These Places do definetely exist. Don't know where you go shopping...

Next time I will publish a list with Supermarkets suitable for English people... :D

What about beloved Kaisers/Tengelmann?

Yes, yes, yes, all very pretty but its still just rows and rows of fucking tinned gherkins and Linsentopf

These places do exist. The Minimal I go to looks just like that!

I cannot see a big difference between UK and German supermarkets. The UK ones probably just sell extra rubbish we don'T really need. Apart from marmite, tea bags etc!

I'm sure i've asked this before of you abog but do you work for the German Supermarkets Federation or somesuch ?

I ask this only because every single one of your topics and posts have been on the subject of trying to convince us that supermarkets here are actually pretty good and not the heap of crap that we know them to be. :huh:

Bluedave, at least you can come on TT and read these posts and glaze at wonderful photos!!!

But then Bluedave you could be accused of being in the German supermarket haters federation funded by frigging Sainsbury's.

It's just as much a shitty myth as the notion that all British food is bad innit.

They're show stores. It's all a hoax. Notice how there are no or very few 'customers'. I'm sure I've seen at least one of those customers on 'Lindenstraße'. And look at the suspiciously well-stocked shelves... those pictures weren't taken on any Saturday afternoon I've been shopping... ;)

The Minimal I go to looks just like that!

Minimal are pretty good actually, but generally the others are pretty hopeless. My local Penny Markt only has about 4 people working in it so it often means that either they stack the shelves or open an extra till, they can't do both. Saturday mornings are the worst, their busiest time and they don't have enough staff to keep the 3 tills they have permanently open, so we get huge queues. Still I suppose more staff means more costs which means higher prices, i.e. Britain!

It's all a hoax. Notice how there are no or very few 'customers'. I'm sure I've seen at least one of those customers on 'Lindenstraße'.

Want the adress to go there personally ? Perhaps you'll be casted for Lindenstraße then...

I was just trying to establish that there is a motive behind the thread and that it's not just an interested punter sharing info with us ok ?

The only EDEKA that I've been in that looks like that one is the one at the airport. That place is open longer than any normal supermarket yet is clean and the isles aren't blocked by pallets of new stock. I don't know how they do it, but I wish they'd teach the others!

My local Penny Markt only has about 4 people working in it so it often means that either they stack the shelves or open an extra till, they can't do both.

Penny is a cheap discount store- you cannot compare Rewe or minimal with penny. You don't go shopping to Harvey Nichols and say it's better there than at bhs? Do ya?

These ae completely different categories.

I'm an ordinary punter who has shopped in both countries.

And the continual bleating of people who say UK = good Germany = bad gets on my friggin tits.

That applies to food retailing, general retailing and customer service.

Of ALL my purchasing:

Worst Food retailing level of service: Tesco, Bristol

Worst non-food retailing service: TJ Maxx, Bristol

Worst customer service expereince: British Airways

Still I suppose more staff means more costs which means higher prices, i.e. Britain!

Good point Allershausen but you have to remember that discounters are in the UK as well.

Maybe Aldi and co are more up North than the rich south but it is the same model Oopp North...very few staff and qeues at the check-out but very low prices for the poor people with loads of time on their hands.

It would be interesting for those with a preference i.e. UK vs Germany where they shop in both...because

Waitrose to Penny Market (is a bad move).

Tesco to MiniMal (not so bad).

Aldi to Aldi (great move you will feel at home).

Kwik Save to Shit (Kwik save must be bankrupt by now).

Asda to Real (???)

Sainsbury to Kaufhoff (If you like paying more).

Morrison to ??? (Morrison what a great northern Supermarket).

@MonksTown,

Maybe the problem here is Bristol!!! I'd guess you flew there with BA as well I suppose... ;)

Try Tesco Manchester, TK Max Manchester, Primark Manchester, BA Manchester - best service in the world!! :D

Penny is a cheap discount store- you cannot compare Rewe or minimal with penny.

Oh I quite accept that, but a couple of teenagers on a Saturday wouldn't cost the earth and wouldn't put too much of a squeeze on the prices. The floors have to be washed, but why do they have to washed while the customers are walking round in their muddy boots?